The SnoBall-2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ms. MI Raptor

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Last year I had no issue using just a handheld talking to either lead or chase in C group. I spent most of the run as the 1st-3rd truck back from lead. It was a Yaesu VX-7R handheld. I wish I could have kept one of the systems I supported in AFG, just for the amusement of watching where people were when they are talking on the radio. http://praemittias-systems.com/wolfhound/

Same here - I was right by you the entire run with a handheld and had no problem with communication. Lead, McManus (navigator) and Chase had mounted units and kept us out of trouble (except for the obvious side excursion our group took around Norway). I have handheld because I don't want to invest more $$ since the only run I have done (and likely will do) is Snoball. I attended last year's snoball and am registered for this one even tho I currently have no truck (still inpatient - 2nd day).

I'm confident that regardless of my pack position I'll be able to hear lead and chase unless for some reason the handhelds available this year are subpar to the ones Trey has since that's what I used last year.

I understand the concern and need for communication. This is just my 2 cents as someone who has minimal use for a radio aside from one weekend a year. But then again I do think driver skill comes into play a little too because if you're uneasy with snow driving you should definitely take every precaution for safety's sake.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hearing the mobile radios won't typically be an issue due to the increased power output, although, we all know, that the MURS band is limited to 2 watts and we would never exceed that.

I'm not saying you WILL have issues, I'm just trying to let people know to have appropriate expectations. If you're truck 12 and trying to get the lead when we're spread out 5 miles, don't be surprised if they can't hear.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going off of the south dakota buffalo run and besides the run it's self the communications was one of the perks good part of the run. It's 3 tanks of gas and you don't have to mount it permanently for a 7 day run if you take it out and don't leave it plugged in I'd do a cord plug in in are out let hint hint. it fit's nicely beside the pass seat. with some cardboard to allow air movement. antenna up out the back door magnet mount It's a fun good and awesome time. It's like FRF on steroids. P.S. I got a better radio for the next run I'm on becose I don't want to miss anything and some of the sdbr was hard to hear. A good example my daughter got sick and Huck and Donk stayed back with us while the rest went on well I wish I'd have had a better radio It was the max I'd have wanted to get away from the pack. Just so I know how much more is a good radio compared to the handheld?