SVC 4wd Long Travel Coming Soon!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K.O.

Reaction score
You guys must be there first doing a 4.0 in the front for a Raptor. I haven't seen anybody else do that. Why the jump to a 4.0 vs a 2.5 or 3.0 like everybody else?

Bigger diameter = more dampening [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bigger diameter = more dampening [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a bit oversimplified.
It has more thermal capacity than a smaller shock, and more headroom built into it in terms of valving limits. But the truck only needs what it needs for valving rates, so thermal capacity is the main advantage.
It's a bit overkill, but the overkill here doesn't have any downsides, and will be easier on the damper in the long run.
Also worth mentioning is that they're likely running very little damping in the coilover, which is a good thing as top mount resevoirs are a bad idea in a hard working damper. So the 4.0 is doing the majority of the work.
Solid setup, well thought out.

OP
OP
svc

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You guys must be there first doing a 4.0 in the front for a Raptor. I haven't seen anybody else do that. Why the jump to a 4.0 vs a 2.5 or 3.0 like everybody else?

Mike,

Our Current 2wd Long travel kit runs a 3.5" Secondary bypass shock up front with great success as you have seen. Here is the problem we are running into. The truck is able to run over massive bumps now with the long travel setup for extended periods of time, and it's no secret that these trucks are very heavy. Because of the massive increase in performance and speed, we are getting the front shocks very hot.

By switching to a 4.0" you increase the volume of fluid inside the shock body. In turn, this offers better shock cooling and longer life, plus increased performance out of the shock. With offering both the 3.5 or 4.0 secondary bypass, we are able to run much less valving in the coilover. We vastly reduce highspeed valving and focus on slow speed instead and treat the coilover as a coil-carrier with a minimal amount of slow speed control. This this theory applies to most of the top TT running today. In the bypass we can fine tune the valving stacks to our liking for both High and low speed, plus tune for additional bump zone characteristics.

Heat is a death blow when it comes to shocks. Anytime we design a part, we look at all the facets of the components job description and try to figure out what is the best tool for the job. In this case, we knew we can get even better performance by going bigger. These trucks aren't light weight Class 10 car buggies that skip on top of the whoops, they are heavy trucks that have a tendency to want to fall into the holes with high velocity shaft speeds when they get moving.

What also shouldn't go unmentioned is spring rates and pre-load settings. We keep our spring rates low with just enough spring to keep the truck up and not falling on its face. I won't get into our specific rates, but our shock tuning is directly reflected by the spring rates we choose. You can have the biggest shock in the world, if you don't have your spring rates right, it's never going to work like it should.

Hope this helps give you a little better idea of why we choose to go the route we do. It's not about bragging rights, but rather offering the consumer the optimum setup for these vehicles.

Jarrett

mike.s

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed explanation Jarrett. Just trying to get a better understanding of the setup. I hope one day I can do something like this with my truck.

OP
OP
svc

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed explanation Jarrett. Just trying to get a better understanding of the setup. I hope one day I can do something like this with my truck.

No problem Mike.

If you ever do go this route, just make sure you have a cage in the plans and a back half that's capable of getting some good use out of the front.

We are just waiting on one part to show up, then we can begin to weld it up for you guys to see.

Jarrett

Pt2285

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem Mike.

If you ever do go this route, just make sure you have a cage in the plans and a back half that's capable of getting some good use out of the front.

We are just waiting on one part to show up, then we can begin to weld it up for you guys to see.

Jarrett

i call naming rights on jeff's truck.

Trav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going with larger shocks (larger piston diameter) wont it take more force to push the piston through the column of oil?

While off road hitting whoops (large opjects) and terrain at high speed feels smooth since you are generating the forces needed to get that larger piston moving what about on road ride or offload with small to moderate size imperfections such as washboard or cobble?

It always seem like going with a larger and larger shock you lose ride quality on the smaller to medium imperfection of the road. Making a truck almost feel like it has a solid mount shocks on a wash board or cobble unless you drive 100mph to get the shaft speed up.

I had a dodge (8,000lb+) that stared off with 2.0, then went to 2.65, then 3.0's then to 3.5's. The 2.0 rode the best on the street and offroad struggled with medium to larger hits. the 2.65 and 3.0 was a good middle ground did everything well made nice for long 300+ miles offroad trips were the terrain varied. the 3.5's were happiest in larger terrain big bumps higher speeds put not the small stuff.

Last edited:

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a certain amount of "stiction" with larger diameter shocks. But this is typically more noticeable on applications that use close to a 1:1 motion ratio, like a bed cage setup, or a dodge.
As far as having a larger piston to force through the oil, this doesn't come into play as the ports in the piston are correspondingly bigger as well. How you shim the shock, and the free bleed ports, still controls it's manners at all points of the spectrum.