Radar detector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baddoug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valentine One!! Without a doubt!! I have one in every one of my rides and love 'em. Drove my buddy's truck and he had an ****** 9500 and I hated it. Just goes "beep beep beep". The V1 has the arrows so you know if the PO-PO is coming up behind you or right in front.
Don't buy from any dealers either. Go straight to the V1 website that way you will get the right price and an in tact box. Some people out there are selling it slightly cheaper but they're taking out the hardwire kit and selling it separate . Anyway, just don't get suckered by other distributors.

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
V1 sucks guys. My wife has it in her car, and the damn thing goes off so much, I literally just unplug it when Im in the car cuz I cant even hear myself think.

Her car aside, I have a detector in every vehicle I have.
In two, Im running Passport 9500xi Race Red editions. This radar detector is by far my favorite. It displays my speed, stores false alarms, and has exceptional distance for me to react. They have saved me COUNTLESS tickets.

In two others I run the new Passport Max. Its supposed to be the latest and greatest, but I have had a couple minor issues with both- they sometimes dont beep loud enough, so you are past the bogey before you even know it and the volume turned all the way up. Also, I get these odd phantom signals sometimes, and it keeps reporting until you disconnect and plug back in. Not a huge problem, but annoying. Also, the thing is SO sensitive, sometimes you pick up a signal and its too far away or on some other road you never see them. On the plus side, it continues to show your speed even while showing the signal or signals as both of these show how many bogeys it is detecting as well, just no arrow. I drive fast, so chances of anything coming up behind me is about nill, and if the detector goes off, you slow down, who cares what direction they are in.

In the RV it is illegal to run a radar detector, so I run an ****** IQ. It is great as a large screen GPS speed indicator, and since it looks like a nav unit, it doesnt get a second look. Its just okay as a radar detector though. It also doesnt alert loud enough...

It is always a personal preference with these things. My wife loves her V1 and wont even consider anything else. I just cant live with constant incessant beeping.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The V1 just takes getting used to. Run one long enough and you understand how it works. The biggest issue right now is all of the vehicles running around with K-band radar based blind spot systems. Those drive my V1 insane. But while it is annoying, nothing beats it on the highway...unless you have a Redline with BS/RDR enabled. But then you can get the same performance out of a V1 if you add V1C and custom sweeps. That being said, V1 has something new that they're working on...this has been confirmed by some sources as well as patents that they've applied for. It should be very interesting to see what happens. No official word from V1 yet, but I'm hoping for something good.

Soldier64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Nick. The V1 takes getting used to and then it is awesome. You have to be actively engaged with it, in my opinion, to get the most out of it. I turn it up and down depending on the area or how I feel like driving. It is not something I let stand in one configuration for all conditions. I do have a "cross-check" that I have developed that includes my V1. The arrows show you what to expect and if you know the area you can determine if it's a valid threat or false. Killing X band helps a lot but living in lower AL I can't killl K-band. Anyway, with the blend mount and mirror tap you can't be having something over nothing.

Supercup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run the V1 for years as well and always found it great. Then I got a k40 in my daily driver - I like the ability to turn off the K band which is the source of constant beeping, now worse than ever with the new gadgets on cars setting it off.

The K40 offers a lot of features but is very expensive. I also did the 9500 in one car, but replaced it with a K40.

For now I am running the V1 in the Raptor as I drive 62 miles each way on freeway to work. So it has me covered.

I agree with others above as well, once you understand how it works and when it is going off and for what you can use the mute feature to keep the noise to a minimun.

For the money nothing beats the V1.

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The V1 just takes getting used to. Run one long enough and you understand how it works. The biggest issue right now is all of the vehicles running around with K-band radar based blind spot systems. Those drive my V1 insane. But while it is annoying, nothing beats it on the highway...unless you have a Redline with BS/RDR enabled. But then you can get the same performance out of a V1 if you add V1C and custom sweeps. That being said, V1 has something new that they're working on...this has been confirmed by some sources as well as patents that they've applied for. It should be very interesting to see what happens. No official word from V1 yet, but I'm hoping for something good.

!!! Now I know why my radar keeps going off when I'm by my gf's C class when it's on.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you have a windshield mounted detector, you want it mounted as high was possible. I put my V1 next to my rear view mirror just to the left of the tint strip.

If you have an installed system, like the ****** 9500ci or the Beltronics STI-R or STI-R+, you wanted the radar receiver to have a clear view of the road if possible. Some plastics and all metals will severely inhibit the reception.