Official 2024 R Quality Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EagleFive

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The consistent listing of people saying issues with the R button is weird. My R button on my MY22 works all the time.

For your auto door locks, did your installer attempt to pop the cover off the door? I've never put PPF on my door handles. After 2 years, my doorhandles still look like new, only thing on them is ceramic. Might be worth taking it off.

Carplay sucks sadly.... Sucks in my gt350, sucks in the Raptor, and sucks in my wife's bronco.
They said they didn’t take any pieces off for install. I did the handles cuz I went full stealth ppf. Had to be done fully. It’s just the Auto Unlock. The car wakes up when I’m near but doesn’t unlock. The r button works intermittently now.

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes especially tailgate piece. 3 of my 4 corners came loose during first wash. Pretty obvious that double stick tape did not hold. Think I am going to try some epoxy and heat gun to see if I can avoid trip to dealer.
I am not a big fan of going to the dealer so fixed my tailgate applique this weekend. A pain to take off just due to all the clips that you can't reach from the backside. Took the work surface off which was easy. Then two 10mm nuts. One in this pic.

20240605_105121.jpg

The second one is behind the silver piece on the right. They sprayed the screws but you can get to it with a socket wrench through left opening in this picture.

20240605_105128.jpg

Now came the fun part....all the clips. You can get to about 1/2 of them from backside. Start on the passenger side. Need some plastic trim tools. You can get enough of the applique off on passenger side and the whole top side to then allow you to use trim tools to force all the other clips to let go. It will take some force at times so just be careful not to bend or scratch anything.

I mistakenly thought there was double stick tape to the paint of the tailgate....the applique only attaches to the tailgate with the 2 screws and clips. The double stick tape and/or adhesive is between the FORD emblem piece and the mounting bracket. The FORD emblem piece is also attached to the bracket with 4 of the attachments in the white circle.

white.jpg

I was afraid of damaging these clips in trying to separate so I used some 3M plastic emblem and trim adhesive and a syringe. The syringe is not a sharp needle, but an open type tip for getting lubricant, etc. in tight places. I stuck the syringe tip into the adhesive tube. THen took a trip tool and held open the edge between the FORD emblem and the bracket and put the adhesive along the entire length.

tools.jpg

When done, I used two small clamps on the ends and masking take along the length of the applique.

11.jpg

Limit of 5 pics, so going to part 2.

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part 2. Here is the taped up assembly.
12.jpg

I previously used a heat gun to slightly bend all 4 corners to better fit the countour of the tailgate and bracket so did not have to do anything on the bottom two corners.

Finished product came out good.

20240607_084734.jpg

20240607_084755.jpg

Would it have been easier to just have Ford do it? Yes, but this is one less time I have to leave my truck with service and I know all the clips / gaskets are there and fully assembled correctly. From doing this, I can see why Ford just replaces the entire assembly.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I overall salute your effort. I wouldn't do that, personally, but I trust my tech more I think, he does my Raptor, Shelby, and Bronco. I'd rather him just do the work then me ripping my brand new truck apart. But I get it. It really bums me out how this has gone with QC lately. Its made me really look at the new MY25 Rivians again, especially the new Quad Motor. If I gotta deal with QC issues anyways....lol

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I overall salute your effort. I wouldn't do that, personally, but I trust my tech more I think, he does my Raptor, Shelby, and Bronco. I'd rather him just do the work then me ripping my brand new truck apart. But I get it. It really bums me out how this has gone with QC lately. Its made me really look at the new MY25 Rivians again, especially the new Quad Motor. If I gotta deal with QC issues anyways....lol
If you have a good tech that you trust, then that is the way to go. I don't have a good Ford one locally....it is hit or miss when take the car into the shop. Not so much the tech doing the work as that varies, but I have had lot damage twice on previous cars so I am very apprehensive to take it in.

motorventures

Reaction score
The headlights on my truck were all scratched up when the dealer took delivery which was pretty strange - luckily they noticed right away during delivery prep and replaced both of them.

Neens

Reaction score
Paint was scratched to hell when I Went to pick it up. All the door passenger side bed and light wells had to be repainted.

Was about to pick it up and the dealer called saying they wanted to look at the shifter. It needed to be replaced but is on back order.