NEED HELP: NY registration problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouldman1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. Much appreciated.

Would I be able to do this at the DMV near my office in Manhattan? I got my license renewed there last year. If they can do the plate swap at this location it seems very unlikely that they would expect to be able to inspect the vehicle and if they ask I can just tell them I take the train in and it's very hard for me to get time off work to go to the DMV by my house, which is true.

Thoughts?

Doesn't hurt to try

AdkRaptor150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Register it yourself, otherwise have the dealer say you have a camper for it . Otherwise its going to become a real pain in the ass. I bought mine in ct and registered it myself. Hit the weigh station with a ton of crap in my bed and brought the ticket with me and stated I had a camper. Reg will say suburban on it tho.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to stop at the DMV tomorrow before work to try to get rid of the commercial plates. Just want to make sure I know what I am doing ahead of time. I searched online and got the form for the registration change (form MV-82). Am I supposed to be checking the box that says "Has the vehicle been modified to change its registration class?" and then explaining that I have installed a hard cap on the bed?

Pretty sure that is what I am supposed to do but wanted to make sure.

Thanks again.

Off Road WannaBe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with how you guys register vehicles. But I'm confused as to why you would have to put commercial plates on a personal vehicle can some one explain cause that makes no sense to me other then them suckering more money outta ya for the plates

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

vinnybaja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am doing it this week just got my title you need title when you go and you need receipts witch I have

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While driving on the Taconic Pkwy near White Plains with a Toyota pickup without a camper top, I was pulled over by a Trooper who wanted to give me a ticket (and could by NY law) for driving a "commercial" vehicle on a parkway. Even though it was under weight and had passenger plates, the open bed was enough to pull me over.

However, when he looked in the bed of the truck and found a 450 lb black bear (I was coming home from hunting) I thought he was going to shit himself......!!!

He told me to just get off the parkway.

:emotions133: