Matte Wrap... and it begins!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrisandalex1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love mine. Be aware that you will need to schedule a couple of follow up call with the installer over the next week or so. They will get it all dialed in, but you will definitely get a few places that need to be reworked.

I drove the entire Baja off-road with mine and it saved my paint for sure.

Enjoy....

Baldwin09

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Heavy rain is no problem.

As for hail, hard to say from personal experience, I live in the desert and we only get hail a few times per decade at most.
I would think it would have to be some extreme hail to rip it..... I would imagine the vehicle would dent easier than the wrap would rip when it comes to hail... but that's just a hunch.

Please realize when I say a pressure washer will rip it, I'm talking about a real-deal gas-powered pressure washer up close.

AAAACzf2XxAAAAAAAA04LQ.jpg

One of those at full blast with the wand very close to the vehicle WILL remove vinyl wrap.... I learned the hard way.

haha must be nice that hail is scarce where you live. Sometimes to wash the truck i use my stepdads pressure washer and when I'm at my house its just a hose and a spray nozzle, that can't be strong enough id imagine

OP
OP
Big Green Machine

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love mine. Be aware that you will need to schedule a couple of follow up call with the installer over the next week or so. They will get it all dialed in, but you will definitely get a few places that need to be reworked.

I drove the entire Baja off-road with mine and it saved my paint for sure.

Enjoy....

Yea he has already warned me that as it settles there will be things that need fixing. I'm ready for the little issues. He's cool and knows I'll be coming back.

He mentioned some treatment from X-Pel that is supposed to seal the poors of the film that should be put on every couple months for ideal longevity.. ever heard of it? He said it is kind of like a liquid wax but instead of letting it set and harden like a wax you just wipe it on and then wipe it right back off. He uses it all the time on the X-Pel films he uses for the clear bras, headlights, etc...

How do you wash and dry yours? I was thinking of just spraying it off but then I'd imagine the water spots would be annoying. Any special care insight would be great. Have you taken it though any of the touchless car wash places? There's one right next to my house though I'm not sure it'll fit and also I'm not sure you can get one of their washes without the wax and all that crap.

Thanks man,

~BGM

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Heavy rain is no problem.

As for hail, hard to say from personal experience, I live in the desert and we only get hail a few times per decade at most.
I would think it would have to be some extreme hail to rip it..... I would imagine the vehicle would dent easier than the wrap would rip when it comes to hail... but that's just a hunch.

Please realize when I say a pressure washer will rip it, I'm talking about a real-deal gas-powered pressure washer up close.

AAAACzf2XxAAAAAAAA04LQ.jpg

One of those at full blast with the wand very close to the vehicle WILL remove vinyl wrap.... I learned the hard way.

Good info man thanks. I've seen people take the paint of their vehicles with those power washers. They're no joke! It took the mud off alright.. and the paint along with it! Proof positive that sometimes, you CAN have too much PSI. lol

~BGM

Chrisandalex1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am off-road pretty much daily, so I have grown to like the dusty look on the truck. It looks super hot when clean, but I just have it cleaned every couple of weeks.

I am not sure about car washes, mine would never fit. One thing I will tell you for sure is don't let anyone put tire dressing on your tires. It will drive you nuts on the film. little dots everywhere.

f16YODA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subscribed!

This is the upgrade I am most curious about. I talked with the shop in Anchorage and am going to visit them this week when I'm down there. The guy I talked to on the phone was not the installer and was completely clueless when I mentioned the "X-PEL stealth film". Finally after I made a comment about "matte finish" the light bulb came on. Didn't make me feel real comfortable, but as he said, he was just the phone guy.

So did you take everything possible off the truck? What about the 6.2L badges and tailgate emblems? Any data points and tricks that you guys have are much appreciated. Thanks and can't wait to see the results!!!:waytogo:

ruffstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He mentioned some treatment from X-Pel that is supposed to seal the poors of the film that should be put on every couple months for ideal longevity.. ever heard of it? He said it is kind of like a liquid wax but instead of letting it set and harden like a wax you just wipe it on and then wipe it right back off. He uses it all the time on the X-Pel films he uses for the clear bras, headlights, etc...
I was told the same when I had my hood/front fenders/doors clear bra. I am using this from Chemical Guys.

Chrisandalex1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wrap2.jpg
[/IMG]
Go for it, you will not regret it.

The shop I had do the install took care of everything.

Subscribed!

This is the upgrade I am most curious about. I talked with the shop in Anchorage and am going to visit them this week when I'm down there. The guy I talked to on the phone was not the installer and was completely clueless when I mentioned the "X-PEL stealth film". Finally after I made a comment about "matte finish" the light bulb came on. Didn't make me feel real comfortable, but as he said, he was just the phone guy.

So did you take everything possible off the truck? What about the 6.2L badges and tailgate emblems? Any data points and tricks that you guys have are much appreciated. Thanks and can't wait to see the results!!!:waytogo:

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
that is really badazz, and is making me wonder how badazz a matte blue would look lol