Matte Wrap... and it begins!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dude, you just got it and already put on new rims and getting the wrap? Holy crap! Good luck

OP
OP
Big Green Machine

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw no sense in waiting.. I know how I want it to look and where I want it to go so it was easiest to get it all done now. With the wrap especially, the quicker I wrap it, the less likely it is to catch a rock chip or some other random occurance.

Oh, that and I'm compulsive and have to make any vehicle I have unique and "mine".. lol

~BGM

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm excited to see how this turns out. I'd love to see someone with a white truck get a full stealth wrap done too. I just think matte white would look killer!

OP
OP
Big Green Machine

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's another progress pic. I like how the fender hasn't been done yet so you get a good sense of before and after in the same shot.

1967-hood-progress.jpg

Can't wait for it to be done! When I stopped by tonight it had only the hood and two front fenders done. Tomorrow's when a lot of progress should be made and it should be completely wrapped.

~BGM

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice.

This is pretty common sense advice, but if you've never had a wrap, do not ever wash your truck with a pressure washer.... that is one thing your wrap definitely will not stand up to.

OP
OP
Big Green Machine

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice.

This is pretty common sense advice, but if you've never had a wrap, do not ever wash your truck with a pressure washer.... that is one thing your wrap definitely will not stand up to.

Thanks man,

I have heard that from several people. I've never owned a wrapped vehicle however when talking to the installer, he said you could use a pressure washer just don't get close. He suggested that a couple feet away and you'd be fine, depending on the pressure obviously.

You recommend against that?

Obviously I want to ensure this stays as nice as it can for as long as possible so any care and maintenance tips from those with experience, please share, I'm all ears.

~BGM

BOJANGLES

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man,

I have heard that from several people. I've never owned a wrapped vehicle however when talking to the installer, he said you could use a pressure washer just don't get close. He suggested that a couple feet away and you'd be fine, depending on the pressure obviously.

You recommend against that?

Obviously I want to ensure this stays as nice as it can for as long as possible so any care and maintenance tips from those with experience, please share, I'm all ears.

~BGM

No he's right, from a couple of feet away its perfectly safe.

Problem is, when you're washing you start fixating on the little spots, grime, bugs and stuff you wanna clean off that takes a bit more pressure... you're staring at the spot, not the distance of the wand.... you get closer without realizing it and BAM.... all the sudden the spot is gone, but you're staring at the original paint through a hole in your wrap. :(

Even with good vinyl: elbow grease > pressure is the safe route. Stuff like automatic car washes are fine.... but an up close pressure washer can David Copperfield your wrap fasho.

Baldwin09

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No he's right, from a couple of feet away its perfectly safe.

Problem is, when you're washing you start fixating on the little spots, grime, bugs and stuff you wanna clean off that takes a bit more pressure... you're staring at the spot, not the distance of the wand.... you get closer without realizing it and BAM.... all the sudden the spot is gone, but you're staring at the original paint through a hole in your wrap. :(

Even with good vinyl: elbow grease > pressure is the safe route. Stuff like automatic car washes are fine.... but an up close pressure washer can David Copperfield your wrap fasho.

Im glad I've been reading this ive been wondering how well they hold up. Any problems with heavy rain or hail if a pressure washer could put a hole in it?

BOJANGLES

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im glad I've been reading this ive been wondering how well they hold up. Any problems with heavy rain or hail if a pressure washer could put a hole in it?

Heavy rain is no problem.

As for hail, hard to say from personal experience, I live in the desert and we only get hail a few times per decade at most.
I would think it would have to be some extreme hail to rip it..... I would imagine the vehicle would dent easier than the wrap would rip when it comes to hail... but that's just a hunch.

Please realize when I say a pressure washer will rip it, I'm talking about a real-deal gas-powered pressure washer up close.

AAAACzf2XxAAAAAAAA04LQ.jpg

One of those at full blast with the wand very close to the vehicle WILL remove vinyl wrap.... I learned the hard way.