Intercooler shutters.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shepherd_

Reaction score
If the intercooler always benefits from the coolest air possible - would it be better if they were always open (or just gone altogether)?

Has anyone removed them and if so how?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Shutters are there for emissions, not performance. Helps warm up the engine faster.

Edit: you remove them for FMIC installs.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shutters are there for emissions, not performance. Helps warm up the engine faster.

Edit: you remove them for FMIC installs.
Is there not a factor for their use during the winter? You'd want to control their efficiency and not overcool frigid air.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
How hard are they to remove?
@Waterfowler41 removes them in the video below.

Waterfowler41

Reaction score
@Waterfowler41 removes them in the video below.

Thanks,

After you pull out your factory intercooler, the shutters are held in place by 4 bolts. I show them in the video above.

I removed the shutters including the actuator. No issues with warning lights. I wrapped the plug in a ziploc bag and tucked it up out of the way.

Also removing the shutters makes larger intercooler reinstall SOOOOOO much easier.

OP
OP
Shepherd_

Shepherd_

Reaction score
Thanks,

After you pull out your factory intercooler, the shutters are held in place by 4 bolts. I show them in the video above.

I removed the shutters including the actuator. No issues with warning lights. I wrapped the plug in a ziploc bag and tucked it up out of the way.

Also removing the shutters makes larger intercooler reinstall SOOOOOO much easier.

Thank you for taking the time to respond - and again for a great video showing the process - I appreciate it!

Waterfowler41

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to respond - and again for a great video showing the process - I appreciate it!
Sure thing, if you have any questions or get hung up, just ping me. One thing I forgot to mention is there is a wire hardness that is mounted across the top of the shutters with a bunch of tree clips. They are kind of a PITA to remove but need to be popped out of the shutter assembly so it can be fully removed.

OP
OP
Shepherd_

Shepherd_

Reaction score
Sure thing, if you have any questions or get hung up, just ping me. One thing I forgot to mention is there is a wire hardness that is mounted across the top of the shutters with a bunch of tree clips. They are kind of a PITA to remove but need to be popped out of the shutter assembly so it can be fully removed.

You actually mentioned it in your video - good stuff!