Icon 3.0 vs Fox 3.0 vs king 3.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well we were all thinking TRR because as it shows a lot of people are interested in seeing a comparison. But your right J to have a battle like this it would have to be in a secret location with just the companies an drivers out there an maybe a few people to judge it who aren't associated with a certain company. Maybe Greg foutz will drive haha

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL! Well I wanna be really clear that there are many ways to do this. I'm not saying mine is the only way or even the best way. But I can say its been developed through a LOT of experience, and some pretty nice screw ups too ;)

I'll take point if that's what we want guys. Something like this is a shitload of work, but its also fun too.

pat, nah no secret location. In fact something like this should be open to everyone! The last couple of MFOs I ran we had a dedicated webcam guy and chat room liason even, and in addition to the few dozen that were able to make it in person we had (literally) thousands of people tuned in to watch every boring detail, ask questions and have them answered, make suggestions, ask for X camera view etc... something like this should be as open to public scrutiny as possible BUT it must also be pretty rigid in its procedure.

Like, for example, one rule we had was that there was zero vendor interaction. They were welcome to watch and be there, but they were not welcome to comment or suggest or help or touch the parts or do anything whatsoever insofar as participate in the test. We replicated the *exact* experience CustomerX would have in their garage in PoDunkNowhere. What we showed it was YOU would experience if YOU bought product X.

So, what that would mean here is I would require any company that wants to participate to send their brand new parts to me directly, and I'd make sure they understood they needed to send it to me as they would ship it to anyone (no special stacking the deck). I would do an unboxing with tons of pics and post those up. Then I'd rebox it all up until install time came... when install time came I'd be there again with the camera writing up the details as the installer made progress. And then we'd go through the manual, tuning as recommended etc...

See what I'm saying?

Last edited:

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J I know this is a lot of work, but many of us, including myself, would be extremely thankful.

Also one thing to note, I really doubt there would be a cut and dry winner. It would probably be, X is better thru the extremely rough stuff, Y was good all around, especially in the whoops, and Z is better on road on for lighter offroading for example.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maxx I agree.. It would help people who don't live out west and hae vast deserts to play in decide what the best shock would be for their location.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hah Max, you sound like you've been through this before :D

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Well, here's what we'd need to get this off the ground:

-parts. Vendor contributed or member supplied, doesn't matter to me so long as they represent current products anyone can buy. These parts would need to be shipped to me. I will take responsibility for them and return them after the test in as well cared for condition as I can manage.

-a truck. We need to agree upon the mods we're willing to include in the "base" system and then go find someone with those mods willing to let us use it. I suggest a bump stop kit at a minimum since I believe someone paying this kind of money for shocks will also be spending a few coin on protecting their frame.

-a driver. Trey, 'stoner, gorilla... maybe one driver representing each skill level, expert intermediate and newbish.

-a course. This is the easy part. I'm thinking SoCal since within a dozen miles we can hit all the highlights; pavement, sand, dirt, rocks, whoops.

-installers. We need qualified wrenches to actually install the parts. In the past I've paid a licensed professional with member contributed funds. Yes, I know we're just talking about shocks here, but if I'm going to take responsibility for five figures in parts, and I'm going to ask someone to donate their 50k truck, I am going to make sure all of those things are as well protected as can be. And that means paying a professional to do things right.

-tech equipment. Lots of cameras. Lots and lots of cameras...

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Cool Vanilla, is that like Cool Whip? I'm interested in seeing this as well. As someone in the market for at least Icon fronts, I'm willing to contribute whatever resources we have available as a forum to some constructive comparison between products. I just emailed Leighton at King and directed him to this thread encouraging him to get involved.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cool Vanilla, is that like Cool Whip? I'm interested in seeing this as well. As someone in the market for at least Icon fronts, I'm willing to contribute whatever resources we have available as a forum to some constructive comparison between products. I just emailed Leighton at King and directed him to this thread encouraging him to get involved.
Cool Vanilla, as in the name Dodge gave the color of my Magnum ;)

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ill donates my truck lol it has 37's to help soak up the big stuff and a bump stop kit to protect the frame haha

And ill be a driver too kinda newish kinda intermediate lol I'm in the middle of those but ill take the newbish spot doesn't matter

Last edited:

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I'm a vendor, but being in the midwest, I have no allegiances (I'm not a shock vendor), and would like to be apart of this in some way.