Icon 3.0 vs Fox 3.0 vs king 3.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some of you guys know I ran a series of events called the "Mods Face Off", aka "The ****'s" on another major forum for a different major vehicle platform. I ran 7 or 8 different events over the course of 3 or 4 years, totaling something like 25 days worth of shop and track time, tens of thousands of member donated funds and parts... if I can be of help on this, I'd be willing to lend a hand and some hard won experience.

Here's where the results were summarized and hosted (my screenname there is CoolVanilla): GIFO/Modifications Face Off Summary:Got a performance question? Find the answer here!

Here's the methodology I developed and executed to pull all this off: Mods Face Off Testing Methodology Q&A

Some of it doesn't apply (lots of dyno specific talk), but the thought process would.

In fact, here's a post I made a while back when this came up with the FRF staff. It should give you some idea what I would think is needed to really make this a fair unbiased and beneficial test for most.

In my experience (and in my opinion, and blah blah blah) there are a few key things we need to keep in mind:

-vendors can lend or donate parts, but that's where their involvement has to end.
-this has to be 100% member driven or supported by indirect parties. You've got to make sure there's zero room for someone to claim that companyX bought the results.
-it has to be thorough. Everything from unboxing to installing to running to tuning needs to be covered. This needs to be from the viewpoint of JoeForumMember just bought his shocks... what does he experience?
-we'd need a truck with reinforcements enough to take the pounding, but not with so many mods as to remove it from reality for the 'common man'. I think something like the RPG stage 3, someone's tie rods and mmaaayyybe someone's upper control arms.
-we'd need a set of stock Fox shocks too, to throw into the mix and ensure a baseline of sort (for a total of 4 tests and datasets)
-it has to be anonymous (this is a biggie). The driver (same for all) can't know which setup their testing. They come, are blindfolded as they get in the truck, run the truck, talk on camera as their running it, and then at the end after all four have been tested only then give their opinions as to which is "best" and why and over what.
-there would have to be a few runs for each. We have to allow for "tuning" of the shocks as per the manufacturers suggestions (ie a manual) and driver feedback. Even in the case of the Fox 3.0 where there is no tuning up front, and OEM Fox where there's no tuning at all, we have to pretend we're tuning and not tell them we aint.

So much of this is going to come down to the driver, their experience and skill. We'd have to line him/her up before even sniffing at this idea. And then we might go to the vendors and ask for their loan/donation. And after that then we could open it up to the members for donations (or someone else cover all the other costs *hint hint*)

I know that sounds extreme, but if we want to be taken seriously this isn't something we could halfass. We'd have to go over the top on this, otherwise we'd be wasting our time. I would expect 2 full days for each setup, for a total of about 7 or 8 days (don't have to be consecutive, but results couldn't be compiled until after all tests were run).

AANNNNDDD then its time to dig in and defend those results on the forum. They WILL be trashed, any weaknesses will be exposed, wars WILL be fought, lines WILL be drawn, people WILL freak out. You gotta have someone willing to answer every question and accusation no matter how dumb, and keep a level head the entire time.

Still sound like a good idea? :nutkick:
Just my opinion.

Last edited:

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty tough to put something like this together... but it's possible.

Like Trey said, you need the same truck, same driver, same course, and same speeds... preferably a bone stock truck with no aftermarket springs or bump kits installed (as most bump kits interfere with the rear shock operation towards the end of their travel). So for that you need participating vendors (Icon and Fox may be no issue, however to get King to give anything up is next to impossible).

SoCal would seem like an obvious choice for testing... but LOTS of details that would have to be hashed out and organized.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From facebook:

Greg Foutz "Maybe at the Texas Raptor Run comming up??? all of the off the shelf bolt on kits in a battle??? maybe fun. I know Addictive Desert Designs will be there."

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This could either be very complicated or we can just simplify the process and have 3 different trucks each equipped with said 3.0's meet at Outlet Center Drive in Barstow. Each truck makes a couple passes and we film the whole thing. Let the viewers decide... Yeah, different aspects of the bumps are involved but at the end of the day, bump setups are close enough to allow the shocks to determine the outcome...

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All depends on the goal, Charlie. If you want repeatable data you've got to get pretty rigorous. On the other hand if you just want to see which truck looks better on that particular day, line 'em up and have at it.

But I wouldn't say those two different approaches accomplish the same goal. Not by a long shot.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All depends on the goal, Charlie. If you want repeatable data you've got to get pretty rigorous. On the other hand if you just want to see which truck looks better on that particular day, line 'em up and have at it.

But I wouldn't say those two different approaches accomplish the same goal. Not by a long shot.

Completely agree... However, I see the likelihood of this thing actually happening if the setup was super basic.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great to take a more detailed approach assuming the participation is there.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i know everyone is going to end up rolling their eyes every time they see me post.. I really think this could be done.. NOT to bash vendors in anyway but improve the aftermarket parts for the consumer... Competitions/tests are a good thing for the Raptor community and this goes above and beyond posting reviews on FRF.. I really think the outcome will benefit everyone!

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Completely agree... However, I see the likelihood of this thing actually happening if the setup was super basic.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great to take a more detailed approach assuming the participation is there.
Totally agreed as well.

Just heads up... in my experience, if you do something like what you're proposing there will be those that do draw inappropriate conclusions despite your best efforts to warn them not too. In other words, there will be many who claim victory of X over Y over Z. If you don't want your name ("your" being the guy who organizes the second type of test, not necessarily you personally Charlie) being used as "evidence" of anything, reconsider "your" involvement in it.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
It'd be awesome to see a no kidding shock shootout. TRR sounds like the place to do it too.