How Many Are/Have Traded Up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am just curious as to how many people are planning on trading up from the 5.4 to the 6.2L within the next year.

I don't know if this really applies to those who are waiting on their 6.2L Raptors but you can certainly chime in with your thoughts. What if the 6.2 wasn't due to be available, would you still have ordered a Raptor?

If you are indeed trading up why are you doing so...horsepower, just because, etc.

As for me, well I don't think I will be swapping my 5.4 for the 6.2 but I am hoping against hope that Roush will come out with a supercharger for the 5.4L. This would allow my factory warranty to remain intact.

Speak up people.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, not me. I like my 5.4L just fine. If FR comes out with some different camshafts, I might go there for a power adder, but that would be about all.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
x2 what FS said. I'm perfectly happy with the 5.4.

Having said that, if the 5.0 is everything is seems to be, and if they drop one into the Raptor in the coming years...

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I waited to order to get the 6.2. But, if the 5.4 was the only thing available, I would have still ordered one.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seriously, what's the point?

I just returned from Raptor Run 4 - we tore up the desert, had a great time, blasted back home on the freeways and the 5.4 has plenty (pulenty) of power for desert running and freeway cruising. You need more power you need bigger balls to use it for anything other than straight line kid stuff on the street and that's not my thing.

Besides, trade it in on what? There may be a 6.2 coming out but it's not here yet so you can't trade the 5.4 in on anything yet except another 5.4 :D

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test drove the 5.4 a total of 4 times, the first 2 times honestly felt a bit sluggish to me but I was being shy on the pedal. The 3rd and 4th time the sales person told me give it everything I got... I did.

The 5.4L has more power than I will ever have courage. I told the dealer to forget my 6.2 order and picked up the 5.4 at a great price. Over the last 3 days I have been going off road like a mad man, trying to learn what this truck can or can't do. It's pretty amazing!

I would love a 6.2 for bragging rights but I can't even make use of all the power the 5.4 has as it is. I'm not even interested in a supercharger for this thing. It's mostly they way it's driven that provides the thrill of the drive.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a great analysis RIKU and one that I think all of us 5.4L owners can appreciate and agree with. I could get in a lot of trouble with this trucks powerplant and in a big hurry.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I didn't know I would get so much flak over ordering a 6.2....

I got a good deal from my dealer ($500 over invoice) and didn't mind paying the invoice price for the option. I think the new technology in the 6.2L is cool (variable cam timing, which Ford has proven out pretty well) and being a lifelong car guy, I thought having something with a Boss 429 heritage was cool, too. Plus, having some extra passing power in Houston traffic has its advantages from time to time.

OP
OP
N

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
PLEASE do not turn this thread into a 5.4 vs. 6.2 slug-fest. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have no issue with one engine or the other, I was just curious how many were taking the leap and why. Too much of this crap happened on the other forum so don't start it on this one.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
x2 what NoCa said. We're one big family here.

No flak from me Kaiser. Being content with what I have, loving it even, does NOT in any way speak to what you'll have and how you'll feel about it. Hell bro, I took a perfectly strong and sound 5.7 HEMI and blew it out to a 6.4 500hp monster. Why? Cause I wanted to and could afford to do it. To each his own.

And to be perfectly honest, I'm REALLY looking forward to the 6.2 guys getting theirs. It's freaking exciting times guys! Let's spread a little love and get ready to party hearty with our brethren!