Guys with icons ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ntm

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a waste of time and money for me to goof around with pulling the coil overs on and off to achieve an uncertain result.
I ordered up the RPG 3.0 coilovers to try.
I'll run the icons and the RPGs through the same test loops at various speeds and take some notes.
I'm happy with the high speed performance of the icons through the big nasty stuff, if the RPGs can match that while providing a more compliant ride at slower speeds, I will be keeping them.
I shall reserve any judgements or expectations until I've given both a fair shake.

It is a pity that RPG doesn't have an option to run their dual setup with a revalved factory coilover. After all, the whole point isn't to have two dampers, but to get a true 3" external bypass up front...

I'll be sticking with the icon rears, they are hauling ass while being smooth at lower speeds. I like the shin guards and replaceable bypass tubes too.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are the man. i wonder if you will be the first to run a spilt set up ,front fox, back icon.

OP
OP
ntm

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rears are going to be pretty much the same thing, they are both 3" external bypasses...
So I don't think it's too big of a deal.
It's the fronts that are vastly different in design.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
horses for courses

So I don't think it's too big of a deal.
It's the fronts that are vastly different in design.[/QUOTE]

It only matters that you like it. it could be perfect for your situation.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
Running goodyear duratrac 315/70/17 on methods at 40 psi.

Kinda off topic, but why are you running so much air pressure? Try running them down at 28-32 psi and tell me it isn't a 1000 x's better in the dirt

Last edited:
OP
OP
ntm

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Internal Bypass >> _____

This is true but 3" piston > 2.5" piston as well.
As I mentioned, high speed is great.
And some would actually like the high damping and high spring rate to sharpen on road handling.
Guys that were on good pavement 5 days a week and then do most of their offroading at wide open throttle on the weekends for example.

Kinda off topic, but why are you running so much air pressure? Try running them down at 28-32 psi and tell me it isn't a 1000 's better in the dirt

For sure, but I've got 50 miles of highway travel mixed in with 50 miles of offroading per day. And I'd snap getting low air pressure warnings all day, every day.
I'll make sure to run the test loops at reduced tire pressure as well as 40psi.

OP
OP
ntm

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda off topic, but why are you running so much air pressure? Try running them down at 28-32 psi and tell me it isn't a 1000 x's better in the dirt

Gave it a go today at 30 psi, no difference really on the stuff that they're having a hard time with. Still feels over sprung and over damped there.
Larger square edged stuff was a bit softer.

ICONRep

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ntm,

To me what I see here is a case of what I come across selling shocks for all makes and models to a world wide customer base, and well that is "there is an ass in every seat and they're all different". What is really good about my reading is you know what you are after which is the hugest battle when trying to make a shock ride and perform the way someone wants. We all want them to work perfect out of the box no matter what truck set up, terrains we are facing, and climate you reside in, but I think you will agree that can be challenging on a production level. We are selling a shock that is set up how we think will fit best in the many markets we deal in. What is great about these, as you mentioned, they can be re-valved to dial in tuning based on a customers specific demand (most of the time that is, I get some pretty wide range request and sometimes you need to pick what your ultimate goal is and compromise slightly on the other a bit). We offer this for free 1 time by simply sending them into us. I do realize you are in Canada so I should be able to work out a solution there as well. We make many people happy on a daily basis, but again there are times we have to work to get a shock dialed in for specific needs. Being on site to test makes this extremely easy, but we do not always have that luxury. I think we should talk next week and find away to make some adjustments, and see what can truly be done. I do not think the spring rate is any type of issue. Dylan engineered our springs to help balance the harmonics presented in this chassis / overall vehicle, while bringing balance front to rear. I truly believe you are one of the guys that is asking for something specific, and we simply need to work at meeting your demand. Would be glad to do what is required so call me Monday or pm me your number so I can call you.

We also looked at the dual rate spring someone mentioned, but it was not possible to package it properly and get the correct function out of it on our shock.

OP
OP
ntm

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate you popping in on this.
I did speak to Dylan last week about my options, and gained quite a bit of knowledge from that conversation. He was very honest and forthright about the benefits and limitations of the icon coilover design.
We figured I could do a revalve, but he didn't think it was 100% going to get me where I want to be, smooth at high speed, smooth at low speed, with still enough compression damping to take the big stuff.
He indicated that one of the main design criteria was on road handling, which they're great for. The truck with no sway bar has the same or less body roll as the stock fox's with the sway bar.
I think they're great for somebody that pounds the pavement and then hits the gas in the dirt for playtime.
That's what they were designed for, and that's what they achieve.

I'm not really a special case per say, I just need a large performance envelope out of the shock.
I'm not sure the RPGs are going to work either, I worry they won't handle the really big hits as well as the icons due to the smaller piston diameter.

i do think a 3" external bypass is pure win on the front as they are so flexible in tuning, and large enough to deal with the raptors prodigious mass.
If I were icon, since internal bypass is off limits due to fox's patent, I'd be looking really hard at doing my own lower a arms with a 3" external bypass mount, and revalving stock front fox's, or building a spring carrier.
But I have no idea what the market is for something like that, and if its the kind of investment that would pay off for icon... But you'd have a very flexible setup, with even higher capabilities than the current 3.0 offering.

The other thing throwing a wrench into things is the fact that I'm running softer than stock rear springs. The rear settings can compensate to an extent, but you still see some weird interaction once in a while between the front and the rear springs.

Perhaps I'll send the icons back for a revalve when I put the fox's on...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tday1103