Guys with icons ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ICONRep

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There going to be off anyway so lets take a swing at it....maybe we find you a happy medium that gets it done for you should the others not work out.

Not sure if we will be going after the dual shock market on this truck, but a 2.5" coil carrier and a 3.0 bypass sounds like it might be your set up.

Get in touch with me when your ready.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
My smaller piston 3.0s don't have a difficult time with hard hits and they feel awesome on the street. The internal bypass on the Fox's is a benefit in my opinion. I was short coursing that pig like no ones business!! This pic is on a jump with a very easy landing but going through the roller section was a surprise, even to me, at how well the 3.0s absorbed the hits. I'm talking off one roller into the face of another roller. Also notice I have stock fenders, fender liners and 37's. dababy4e.jpg

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great thread

There going to be off anyway so lets take a swing at it....maybe we find you a happy medium that gets it done for you should the others not work out.

this thread is role model for lesser threads . one person willing to do whatever it takes to achieve a workable solution. others like myself trying to understand the problem.

vendors stepping up with great support. the op is working with a single minded determination to put a period on it and move on.

looking forward to seeing the resulting solution. all the best

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so how are the stock shocks compared to all of the above? and are you afraid of them do you huck your truck? I've hit some good jumps and have yet to hear or feel it bottom out with stock shocks so if you do it must be one hell of a hard landing. I'm on mid perch and yes it's got a bit of a rougher ride but outweigh the bottom.

OP
OP
ntm

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how are the stock shocks compared to all of the above? and are you afraid of them do you huck your truck? I've hit some good jumps and have yet to hear or feel it bottom out with stock shocks so if you do it must be one hell of a hard landing. I'm on mid perch and yes it's got a bit of a rougher ride but outweigh the bottom.

I know compared to the icon's, the stockers were a nicer ride at slower speeds through the rough.
But at high speeds, the stockers can't keep up at all.
I'm running an easy 20mph more through sections that had me looking for the ejection seat lever with the stockers.
It's not simply bottoming resistance Wilson, although there is a lot more of that, it's the control you have while really pushing it.
The wheels stay on the ground, without upsetting the chassis as much= faster through the same terrain.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
no one has ever explained the stock shocks compared to the 3.0 obviously the 3.0 are better. but wanted to hear how they differ thanks. What I get out of it is stock = blown 3.0 = retune I would love a set of fox 3.0 but it can wait until the 2.5 blow out. until then I'll be dreaming of 3.0's

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
no one has ever explained the stock shocks compared to the 3.0 obviously the 3.0 are better. but wanted to hear how they differ thanks. What I get out of it is stock = blown 3.0 = retune I would love a set of fox 3.0 but it can wait until the 2.5 blow out. until then I'll be dreaming of 3.0's

Larger piston diameter, larger shock diameter and greater oil volume are the 3 main points when comparing the factory shocks versus 3.0 shocks. These benefits will allow more dampening over rough terrain and less chance for shock fade. Also, with the 3.0s you can raise the front ride height without the harsh ride associated with "top perch" and of course the 3.0s are adjustable ...or some of them are. The remote reservoirs also play a role in shock cooling.

OP
OP
ntm

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fox/RPG coilovers are on the way via ups.
Probably be a week or so before I've got them changed over.
I'll pick a few loops to run and push the icons hard, change the coilovers that evening and run the same loops with the RPGs the next day.
I'll try to keep some notes to share.
The lack of real, unbiased information on this subject is somewhat astounding...

Birdman, the adjusters up front are a moot point for me, as the lowest compression setting is still higher than the stock fox's (info right from icon), and the spring rate is significantly higher.
They will never be as good on smaller stuff as the stock dampers, unless they are revalved. A trade off for the higher level of performance at speed.
But even with a revalve there is that spring rate...

I don't know what you'd need the higher damper settings for except for even further tightening up on road handling, or perhaps being air dropped out of a c130...
Seems like a waste of a good feature with the current valving.
Although I suppose that since the adjuster works as a flow restriction, it may be optimal to run them wide open when the shocks are being worked the hardest.
But perhaps I am going too far down the rabbit hole here.
I'll run both brands and see which works best for me :hands:

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Although I suppose that since the adjuster works as a flow restriction, it may be optimal to run them wide open when the shocks are being worked the hardest.
But perhaps I am going too far down the rabbit hole here.
I'll run both brands and see which works best for me :hands:

From what I gathered from the shock shootout thread is offroad you should pretty much run the ICON's wide open for best performance. You might want to make a few adjustments offroad, but it looked best to leave them open.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, from what I gather from what you wrote the front set up is too stiff or harsh for your liking and valving won't accomplish much if anything due to the stiff spring Icon uses. What about changing the spring, is that an option? Doesn't Icon use eibach springs?
What is different between the front RPG tuned fox shox VS the off the shelf Fox? Valving or coil spring change, do they make it stiffer or softer? and who does the modification to those shocks RPG or Fox?