Guys with icons ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evanscott29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what I understand RPG does the retuning and it is a change of vavling and whatnot. But that is still a little above my head...

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Somehow I doubt that every pair of shocks RPG orders in, that RPG takes them apart just to revalve them. I could be wrong?

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Somehow I doubt that every pair of shocks RPG orders in, that RPG takes them apart just to revalve them. I could be wrong?

Better believe they do! All the shocks come from Fox and they are each revalved, in house, before they are shipped to a customer. I'm pretty sure the spring rate is the same as the Fox tuned shock but I'm not 100% positive.

Last edited:

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So your assumption that they wouldn't revalve the shocks they sell would pretty much mean that the countless hours of testing, tuning, and revalving for perfection was just for ***** and giggles?

Evanscott29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your assumption that they wouldn't revalve the shocks they sell would pretty much mean that the countless hours of testing, tuning, and revalving for perfection was just for ***** and giggles?

I agree with you Tizz, they would get far with all the guys on here if they just said it, and didnt "do" it.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score

No smarty pants! But when Fox is building the shock would it not make more sense to have them (FOX) valve them a specific way? Instead of purchasing them valved and taking them apart to revalve.
Just like you can special order a set from Icon valved differently.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

From what I was reading on their website. It is something they recommend and you pay for. So no, they probably dont do it to every pair that they sell. I guess they could outsource. This is what I got from the Q&A halfway down the page

Stage 4 Rear Suspension Kit | Raptor Performance Group

This Q&A is referring to the rear shocks not the fronts.

OP
OP
ntm

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, from what I gather from what you wrote the front set up is too stiff or harsh for your liking and valving won't accomplish much if anything due to the stiff spring Icon uses. What about changing the spring, is that an option? Doesn't Icon use eibach springs?
What is different between the front RPG tuned fox shox VS the off the shelf Fox? Valving or coil spring change, do they make it stiffer or softer? and who does the modification to those shocks RPG or Fox?

The spring rate doesn't help, but it's not the entire issue.
Certainly changing it to a softer one would help, but I suspect the heavier spring rate is there for a reason.
I'm sure the icon guys have arrived at this as the best compromise between ride and performance.
The heavier compression settings I'm not sure about, from a practical standpoint they're virtually useless. You want softer daily driver settings, not stiffer.

I believe the RPG fox's have the same spring, but have softer compression damping in the ride zone, and a few rebound tweaks I would imagine.

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OK, from what I gather from what you wrote the front set up is too stiff or harsh for your liking and valving won't accomplish much if anything due to the stiff spring Icon uses. What about changing the spring, is that an option? Doesn't Icon use eibach springs?
What is different between the front RPG tuned fox shox VS the off the shelf Fox? Valving or coil spring change, do they make it stiffer or softer? and who does the modification to those shocks RPG or Fox?

justvettn,

we don't release our valving setups or any other changes made by us for obvious reasons. When we tune our shocks we don't focus on stiffer or softer, but rather ride zone characteristics for different types of terrain. Port height changes, bypass spring material thickness and so on all plays a key role in overall ride dynamics and what the driver is feeling over the different travel zones of the shocks travel range. We have played with different spring rates and personally feel Fox nailed it with a 525pound rate. It's usaully much easier to tune for a softer spring than a stiff and heavy one.

Here is a side by side of Icons spring and Fox's spring.
DSC_0857_zps3afe3e8b.jpg