Guys with icons ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ntm

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tires / wheels are you running and what psi? What is the measurement from the center of your hub to the lip of your fender flare?

Running goodyear duratrac 315/70/17 on methods at 40 psi.
26.5", I did try higher and lower than that. Didn't help.

Just to reiterate, the issue isn't wide open throttle performance, that's pretty decent.
It's when you're not driving in the danger zone that things get choppy on the front.
My daily activities consist of driving miles of roads that are as rough or rougher than what was shown in the video on the first page.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Running goodyear duratrac 315/70/17 on methods at 40 psi.
26.5", I did try higher and lower than that. Didn't help.

Just to reiterate, the issue isn't wide open throttle performance, that's pretty decent.
It's when you're not driving in the danger zone that things get choppy on the front.
My daily activities consist of driving miles of roads that are as rough or rougher than what was shown in the video on the first page.

Well that all sounds in check. I wouldn't describe my ride as "soft" but I certainly wouldn't describe it as harsh either in 95% of conditions. Over the chatter rocks at TRR I definitely noted some undesirable harshness but then again I noted the same in the RPG rig and Conner's 4-link Outlaw truck so I wrote it off as normal and basically unavoidable. I didn't feel it in the trophy truck but that's because I think Carl was in the air most of the time :).

It's possible that your overall ride dynamic is off with the softer feel of the rear springs it's giving you the perception of a hard ride up front. The difference in spring rates could also cause some galloping if your rear and front suspensions don't settle at close to the same rate. Or...it's just your personal preference and nobody would fault you for being unhappy. I would talk to the guys at ICON and see what they recommend. Their shocks are only second to their customer service so take the opportunity to air out your concerns with Dylan or Brad.

OP
OP
ntm

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am seeing a little bit of galloping at certain rear settings...
I spoke to Dylan this morning and he figures a revalve will help out to an extent.
He kind of insinuated that the stiffer damper settings up front were for guys coming from sports cars who were looking for "sharper" handling than stock.
To put it simply, another Canuck here with a very similar truck, as far as bumps and springs, put on the RPG tuned fox's, his front is softer than his rear. My front is stiffer than my rear.
I can go faster on on/off ramps than stock, he has to go slower than stock.
His front is much more compliant at lower speeds, but they both perform well at high speeds off road.
I get the feeling that the icons were geared more towards the on road daily driver, as opposed to the dirt road/off road daily driver.
So there is a good chance I may be doing the first ever back to back icon vs RPG/fox comparison...

ktm505sx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i have seen the icons tested offroad only, what about onroad testing where you can find bump stops street holes and bumpy sections with the S setting all the way for onroad.
here where i live i have to deal with this kind of roads where you find those holes on the street, dont know if the icons 3.0 cant handle those kind of street holes.
it has 12" of down travel, but in this case you need up travel because this is a sudden punch to the suspension.

i just took this picture driving on my volvo s40 on the way to work.

Attachments

• ejuvaryz.jpg
    ejuvaryz.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
ntm

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that they will loosen up after they are broken in?

Don't know.
I probably have more hard off road miles on them already than the average raptor shock ever sees.

Again, just to keep this focused, very high speed off road is great, on road is fine, it's the slow to medium speed off road that could be better...

Ktm, I'd suggest driving around those holes, lol !
Nothing's going to help you there except very large diameter tires.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
coil over

there is not a progressive coil over spring solution. seems such a shame to toss aside such a quality product. but you use your truck as a tool and one can not compromise on tools for work.