Gen 2 Issues/Dislikes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more question/issue ...... Is anybody else having issues with the transmission upshifting too early causing the truck to have a slight jerking motion because the transmission is in too high of a gear and the RPMs are too low to provide enough power to coast in that higher gear? I am experiencing this issue endlessly.

To recap my experience with my 17 Raptor, I have had issues with feeling a slight jerking motion when hitting the gas. The first time I took it to the dealer, they showed a misfire in cylinder #6 and kept the truck 8 days trying to get to the root cause, which they never really figured out. As a best guess, they replaced the spark plug hoping that might be the problem, but as it turns out, that wasn't it. I thought the jerking motion might be due to the transmission shifting up too early, but I confirmed yesterday morning by putting my car in manual mode (so the truck couldn't shift up and down on its own) that the light jerking isn't RPM related. I was able to duplicate the same feeling at 60 MPH in a variety of gears at different RPMs. As a result of such, I took a Ford Tech for a ride yesterday and he fully agrees that something isn't right. They checked to see if the truck was throwing any codes, but fortunately/unfortunately it isn't. I will keep everybody posted on what I learn if/when they eventually fix the problem.

bronco

Reaction score
Your missfire

I had an issue with my 2012 F-150 ecoboost (as well as others may have) with some stuttering under different scenarios (towing, high humidity, etc. its all over the internet about various solutions). Anyway, when they diagnosed your miss-fire on your Raptor they just replaced your spark plug. When mine encountered my issue, they said the number 6 coil needed replacement and that fixed all of my 2012 ecoboost stuttering issues.

Just a thought that maybe they should look closer at the coil on number 6??

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an issue with my 2012 F-150 ecoboost (as well as others may have) with some stuttering under different scenarios (towing, high humidity, etc. its all over the internet about various solutions). Anyway, when they diagnosed your miss-fire on your Raptor they just replaced your spark plug. When mine encountered my issue, they said the number 6 coil needed replacement and that fixed all of my 2012 ecoboost stuttering issues.

Just a thought that maybe they should look closer at the coil on number 6??

Thanks for the input. They reportedly tested the coil and fuel injector and felt both were good. I think they were hoping a cheap spark plug would be the fix before moving to higher priced items. I'm just guessing, but I bet the coil is the next thing to get replaced. My fear is that it might be a torque converter and/or transmission issue. I really do not want a new truck where major components have to be replaced, or worse yet, they try to do some sort of repair/rebuild on the transmission.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. They reportedly tested the coil and fuel injector and felt both were good. I think they were hoping a cheap spark plug would be the fix before moving to higher priced items. I'm just guessing, but I bet the coil is the next thing to get replaced. My fear is that it might be a torque converter and/or transmission issue. I really do not want a new truck where major components have to be replaced, or worse yet, they try to do some sort of repair/rebuild on the transmission.

Jeff,
The "good" news is that on a new rig they will not rebuild the trans they will replace the entire unit. Hopefully it does not come to that.

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents...Changing parts to hopefully fix a problem isn't the most efficient or cost effective way to fix an automobile. Typically, they diagnose the problem, then replace the parts. Do they know what they're doing?

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents...Changing parts to hopefully fix a problem isn't the most efficient or cost effective way to fix an automobile. Typically, they diagnose the problem, then replace the parts. Do they know what they're doing?

That's a good question. This is just my perception, but without a code being thrown, they seem a little confused as to what to do other than start testing and potentially replacing parts. That isn't a criticism because I'm not sure how else it could be done, but that seems to be the plan of attack right now. After eight days of testing and no root cause surfacing, I think they just decided to take a stab at replacing the cheapest part (spark plug) hoping that would work. Since it didn't, I'm guessing they will start pulling and testing other parts until they find the issue. What saddens me is that with all of this testing, they have probably put close to 20% of the miles on my new truck. I am very particular and do not like anybody driving any of my vehicles other than me.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score

A bit harsh. He said they checked the coils and injectors. That means they had the coils off. That means pulling the plugs was a couple turns of a socket. You might as well look at them. There's been instances where whole crates of plugs have been dropped at the plant on the gap closed to practically nothing. Strap could break off- who knows. Meaning, it's worth pulling the plugs if you are in that deep. Again, once the plugs are out, at dealer prices, just throw 6 new ones in there. How do you test a plug under all conditions it'll see? You don't. You just put in new ones and hope for a better result.

Tg74

Reaction score
Sounds like typical trouble shooting to me. Then again I have been troubleshooting avionics in $60 million Naval aircraft for over 23 years. Even in a Super Hornet you can't always just go with the diagnostic test results. If it says you have a bad part, you replace it and still have the same issue then what? That's the trouble with complicated electronic systems. So many systems feed into others that it can be hard to narrow. Besides I don't blame them for trying cheaper or easier to replace parts first. Makes sense. Sucks that your having these issues with a new vehicle though. Good luck hope you get it resolved soon

Last edited:

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
To recap my experience with my 17 Raptor, I have had issues with feeling a slight jerking motion when hitting the gas. The first time I took it to the dealer, they showed a misfire in cylinder #6 and kept the truck 8 days trying to get to the root cause, which they never really figured out. As a best guess, they replaced the spark plug hoping that might be the problem, but as it turns out, that wasn't it. I thought the jerking motion might be due to the transmission shifting up too early, but I confirmed yesterday morning by putting my car in manual mode (so the truck couldn't shift up and down on its own) that the light jerking isn't RPM related. I was able to duplicate the same feeling at 60 MPH in a variety of gears at different RPMs. As a result of such, I took a Ford Tech for a ride yesterday and he fully agrees that something isn't right. They checked to see if the truck was throwing any codes, but fortunately/unfortunately it isn't. I will keep everybody posted on what I learn if/when they eventually fix the problem.

Have you drilled the 1/16" weep hole in the intercooler yet? This will fix your misfire issue. This is common on the ecoboost engines.