Fuel grade required for the 2nd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
hmm... I wonder if tow / haul mode might cut timing earlier in the power curve?
wouldn’t that make sense? You’re right, while towing, you’re not going to be regularly seeing 5k rpms, but, you will be loading the engine quite a bit more with the added weight.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that, I'd be curious to see the actual results. It does sound logical.

Now all you magazine racers who insist on 93 octane please tell me how often you run a 5700 lb truck with a 10 speed tranny at higher than 4250 rpm when redline is 6k? Unless you are driving around town like a clown (which many of you sound like you are anyway) that is a negligible situation in everyday life. Ergo, no power difference between 87 and 93 in real life. Which is what my butt dyno says all along.

Even when I am towing my 5000 lb trailer, usually the only time it goes over 4250 rpm is when it auto downshifts on downhills or while coming to a stop in tow/haul mode.

If you don't push your truck, then why did you buy a Raptor? So you could impress the baristas at the Starbucks drive through? Talk about wasting money.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't push your truck, then why did you buy a Raptor? So you could impress the baristas at the Starbucks drive through? Talk about wasting money.

Dude, I don't have to prove to you whether I use my truck as its intended. Do a search on the forums for my review/pics and you will get an idea as to why I bought a Raptor.

Tell me with a straight face you regularly drive your 5700 lb truck which only has a 6k redline and a 10 speed, at over 4250 rpm around town.

Last edited:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dude, I don't have to prove to you whether I use my truck as its intended. Do a search on the forums for my review/pics and you will get an idea as to why I bought a Raptor.

Tell me with a straight face you regularly drive your 5700 lb truck which only has a 6k redline and a 10 speed, at over 4250 rpm around town.

"dude" yes I do and so do most of the other Raptor owners who enjoy their 450hp engine. Stoplights, on-ramps, merging, passing. A dozen times a day I'm on the throttle and the truck drops 4 gears to get in the 4k powerband and off I go.

If all you wanted is a 300 hp truck, you would have saved a lot of money buying a 300 hp truck. Saving $30k at the dealership makes a lot more sense than than cheaping out at the pump.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stoplights, on-ramps, merging, passing. A dozen times a day I'm on the throttle and the truck drops 4 gears to get in the 4k powerband and off I go.

You sound like the street racing ricer I pictured. I bet it's amusing to watch you go.

I'm not arguing you need to baby the truck. Sure, there are situations when your going wot. My entire point is that those situations are rare for most normal people making this entire debate academic. I.e., magazine Racing.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Let it go. Your argument for 87 fell flat now it just seems you're trying to salvage some inkling of "I'm right" from all the wrong.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You sound like the street racing ricer I pictured. I bet it's amusing to watch you go.

I'm not arguing you need to baby the truck. Sure, there are situations when your going wot. My entire point is that those situations are rare for most normal people making this entire debate academic. I.e., magazine Racing.

Some people buy BMWs, Ferraris, and Raptors because they get a thrill out of the superior performance. Others buy them because they are status symbols. You made it abundantly clear which kind of buyer you are. I enjoy the performance. You don't. To each their own. But stop making idiotic statements claiming higher octane fuel is nothing but a marketing gimmick.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people buy BMWs, Ferraris, and Raptors because they get a thrill out of the superior performance. Others buy them because they are status symbols. You made it abundantly clear which kind of buyer you are. I enjoy the performance. You don't. To each their own. But stop making idiotic statements claiming higher octane fuel is nothing but a marketing gimmick.

OK, I really need to let you guys talk amongst yourself, but your level of stupidity is astounding.

BMW, Ferrari and Raptor don't belong in the same sentence. You sound like a guy who bought his very first performance car. If so, I am really happy for you. You ever owned anything nicer than your Raptor? Doesn't sound like it.