Gaia GPS - a turn for the worse.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been on the fence to run yet another device, but I really like this approach.
This thread was timely for me. About to do some trips and hadn't signed into Gaia to see the new integration. I just did and turned off default public sharing, switch to private profile and turned off Analytics (more app chattiness).

I'm in a bit of mapping hell right now between my Gaia which incorporates my Back roads mapbooks subscription, Strava, Trailforks(linked to Outside too), my new Garmin watch which is suggesting Outdoor Maps +, I think. I also have waypoints saved on my phone on Google maps as a backup.

Oh, I forgot, also have the inReach explorer and now that it is in the Garmin ecosystem there is some crossover there too. The Earthmate app is just a backup in case all other apps die. I save key POIs on there and can navigate using the inReach alone, but very utilitarian. I guess my Garmin watch has downloaded maps that work offline, so this will work too. 2 is 1.

The Earthmate is junk. I found Gaia is still the best, and migrate as much as I can over to it.

For those who don’t want Gaia, OnX Off-road and Backcountry probably second best.