Fuel grade required for the 2nd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you crawled from under your rock a little sooner you'd know that Ford recommends Premium for the Raptor.

He can't crawl out from under a Ford Raptor - he doesn't own one. Strange, he still trolls here just because he's a bonafide hater of Ford, EcoBoost, and all things Gen2.

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or perhaps he gets 91 at the full service pump. In the city where I work I believe full service is close to 80 cents more a gallon, and YES! people use it.

If this dude is wanting to cheap out and get 87 octane, i can all but guarantee he aint paying for full service. Thanks to the others for mathing it out for the simpleton. Premium here is .30-.40 cents more a gallon over 87 octane so thats where i came up with the $10-$15 more a tank, or what i like to call cheap insurance.

Big Johnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first gen ecoboost gets an additional 20hp and 10tq just by running premium. Says so right in the owners manual. The H.O would get at least that I would think. Seems like the cheapest hp you can gain in my opinion.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If this dude is wanting to cheap out and get 87 octane, i can all but guarantee he aint paying for full service. Thanks to the others for mathing it out for the simpleton. Premium here is .30-.40 cents more a gallon over 87 octane so thats where i came up with the $10-$15 more a tank, or what i like to call cheap insurance.

What are you getting insurance for?

You may get a slight hp boost at full open throttle that likely would not even be felt but where does the insurance come in?

OP
OP
CanuckRaptor

CanuckRaptor

Reaction score
never thought the thread would have so many comments and responses, looks like i'll be using min 91 as recommended by the manufacture for max. performance. I think running 91 vs 87, the difference maybe five to six hundred dollars a year? Which is minimal expense for such a nice truck like the Raptor. I'm planning to keep mine for a while, well, at least until the new one comes out :D

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
never thought the thread would have so many comments and responses, looks like i'll be using min 91 as recommended by the manufacture for max. performance. I think running 91 vs 87, the difference maybe five to six hundred dollars a year? Which is minimal expense for such a nice truck like the Raptor. I'm planning to keep mine for a while, well, at least until the new one comes out :D

The new one...the Baby Raptor...will be out probably in late 2018.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
detonation destroys an engine's internals. raptor ecu helps manage it, but only after it senses it.

But if you want insurance against engine damage, wouldnt it be a lot cheaper to actually get the Ford extended warranty for 125k miles (for around $1000-1200)?

Using 87 octane more than pays for the warranty in savings

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
detonation destroys an engine's internals. raptor ecu helps manage it, but only after it senses it.

Which it will do regardless of what fuel you use. 91 isn't a magic no-knock formula, it just knocks at a higher compression. The engine will test the limit whenever you push it and will back down from there. Yes, if you're a really aggressive driver you'll probably run into that limit more often with regular than premium, but not enough to damage anything.

Last edited: