Ford Says Its New 7.3-Liter V8 Can Fit In The F-150, Mustang

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dude... what’s your deal? Why are you even on this forum if you don’t own a Raptor... specifically a Gen 2?

Of course the Raptor is a high performance truck... the highest performance factory truck you can buy.

It’s clear your old school preference is on drag racing performance. Vehicles have come long way since the sixties.

My "deal" is that I don't like fake news and ignorance.

Feel free to block me if reality offends you. :shrug:

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM turned the 7.0L LS7 to 7000 RPMs. What's your OHC Ecoboost redline at?

I liked that my LS7 spun to a 7k redline. To be fair, it also had Ti intake valves and rods. And when I was done with it, del west Ti exhaust valves & Ti retainers. IMO, the LS pushrod is an elegant approach and its technology (head flow, materials, etc.) is ignored by many. A lot of very useful power per external dimensions & weight.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
My "deal" is that I don't like fake news and ignorance.

Feel free to block me if reality offends you. :shrug:

Will the new 7.3 be able to pass semis going up hill at 70mph and not downshift?;)

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If we’re getting into equivalency then, there’s no sense even discussing the 7.3. Someone was telling us we should try passing semis up hill at 70mph without downshifting and being at some impossible to achieve rpm with 4.10 gears. I seem to recall this being repeated over and over.

I’ll bet some others remember it too.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So would this 7.3L be acceptable to you "it's a dinosaur" guys if it had OHC heads like the 6.2L? 2V per cylinder OK? Do we need boost too? How complicated does it have to be before it's deemed acceptably modern?

I just checked...they ARE still making it....I missed something, what was the problem with the 3.5 EB being in both the Taurus & F150?...it is the Gen2 EB correct?

SHO/MKS/Flex/Explorer/pre-2015 F150s have the Gen I 3.5L Ecoboost. Basically it's just a standard 3.5L Cyclone engine with turbos slapped on it. Other than the F150, they all still use that engine into the 2019 MY.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This thread is pointless. The vast majority of Raptor buyers don't give a shit about cylinder count or pushrods. They care about performance and will pay extra for whatever factory engine puts out the most power. If Ford came out with a 2.0L, one cylinder that makes 800hp and 1,000ft/lb of torque, Raptor buyers would stand in line and pay even more ridiculous ADMs for it, even it sounded like a lawnmower.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If we’re getting into equivalency then, there’s no sense even discussing the 7.3. Someone was telling us we should try passing semis up hill at 70mph without downshifting and being at some impossible to achieve rpm with 4.10 gears. I seem to recall this being repeated over and over.

I’ll bet some others remember it too.

I will take that as a no?

"Impossible to achieve RPM" --> for a lawnmower :lol2:

You guys have way more highway gear with that 10 speed. You just can't lug that little engine. Doesn't make enough boost below 2000 rpm or so. :shrug:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I will take that as a no?

"Impossible to achieve RPM" --> for a lawnmower :lol2:

You guys have way more highway gear with that 10 speed. You just can't lug that little engine. Doesn't make enough boost below 2000 rpm or so. :shrug:
When I hit the highway, I let mine get to the top gear and then pop it into manual to keep it from downshifting until I have to slow down for an exit or light. Works great in cruise control, hills or no hills as long as you are at highway speed. Usually, the only time I pop it back into automatic is if I need to hit 100mph, like right now.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SHO/MKS/Flex/Explorer/pre-2015 F150s have the Gen I 3.5L Ecoboost. Basically it's just a standard 3.5L Cyclone engine with turbos slapped on it. Other than the F150, they all still use that engine into the 2019 MY.

Remember that the 3.5 ecoboost is being replaced with the 3L TT

This thread is pointless. The vast majority of Raptor buyers don't give a shit about cylinder count or pushrods. They care about performance and will pay extra for whatever factory engine puts out the most power. If Ford came out with a 2.0L, one cylinder that makes 800hp and 1,000ft/lb of torque, Raptor buyers would stand in line and pay even more ridiculous ADMs for it, even it sounded like a lawnmower.

The buyer actually cares about reliability the most. The ecoboost just doesn't have that. There are too many common problems with it