Ford Says Its New 7.3-Liter V8 Can Fit In The F-150, Mustang

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On vacation in Costa Rica and was talking to a Canadian Ford dealer he told me the 7.3 is going in the 2020 Raptor. He seemed pretty confident and answered the question without hesitation. Guess we will see, makes since though as that’s how they moved from the 5.4 to the 6.2. I’d be stoked to see it get the 5.0, I have a 18’ Platinum that I have a Whipple on and it puts 625 down at the tires. It absolutley will dust my 17’ Raptor and gets better fuel mileage. At any rate here’s hoping for the 7.3, that would be the big dog especially supercharged!

The Raptor 3.5 ecoboost run will be like the mustang II. This is so funny to watch

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On vacation in Costa Rica and was talking to a Canadian Ford dealer he told me the 7.3 is going in the 2020 Raptor. He seemed pretty confident and answered the question without hesitation. Guess we will see, makes since though as that’s how they moved from the 5.4 to the 6.2. I’d be stoked to see it get the 5.0, I have a 18’ Platinum that I have a Whipple on and it puts 625 down at the tires. It absolutley will dust my 17’ Raptor and gets better fuel mileage. At any rate here’s hoping for the 7.3, that would be the big dog especially supercharged!

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Ford Dealer? I see the V8 crowd is desperate enough to believe a source they know is typically less knowledgeable than most youtube bloggers.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I still can't believe that this thread got to 12 pages on a topic that's never even going to happen. Only on FRF!

uxojerry

Reaction score
Im a Gen1 owner and v8 guy but I hope and pray that Ford doesn't do a Raptor v8. I think more likely, you'll see an F250 Raptor type truck on the market soon. The interesting part of this scenario is the bore spacing on the pushrod v8. If it is 5", this engine will sell. If it is 4.5" like the 6.2l not so much. Ford did not spend much $$ on R&D as it should have an aluminum block like most GM v8s. I think they will see how it does in the market and come up with an aluminum model in year 2-3. If they stick with it awhile, you could see a big after-market explosion, if the bore spacing is 5" or better. I would love to see a ford 7.3l crate motor and transmission package like gm sells.

marmot99

Reaction score
Ford Dealer? I see the V8 crowd is desperate enough to believe a source they know is typically less knowledgeable than most youtube bloggers.
Agree, may not know what he’s talking about or just eager to stir up business. Obviously he didn’t present me with a letter from corporate but he told me corporate told him the new 7.3 will obtain better foul economy than the outgoing 6.2 and will make its way into the Raptor first and the upper trim levels of the F150 eventually. I like my ecoboost raptor but I’ve got to tell you for $11k my Patinum will walk my Raptor and makes 2mpg better while towing. I had a 14’ Raptor and loved it, I like the 17’ overall better but miss the V8 sounds. It will be interesting to see what happens.

marmot99

Reaction score
I still can't believe that this thread got to 12 pages on a topic that's never even going to happen. Only on FRF!
I think it’s fun to share intel although mine may not end up panning out its interesting to hear what the car dealers are hearing. I’d be shocked if Ford doesn’t put a V8 back in the Raptor since supposedly Ram is going to drop a hellcat motor in the Rebel. Anyhoo only time will tell.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im a Gen1 owner and v8 guy but I hope and pray that Ford doesn't do a Raptor v8. I think more likely, you'll see an F250 Raptor type truck on the market soon. The interesting part of this scenario is the bore spacing on the pushrod v8. If it is 5", this engine will sell. If it is 4.5" like the 6.2l not so much. Ford did not spend much $$ on R&D as it should have an aluminum block like most GM v8s. I think they will see how it does in the market and come up with an aluminum model in year 2-3. If they stick with it awhile, you could see a big after-market explosion, if the bore spacing is 5" or better. I would love to see a ford 7.3l crate motor and transmission package like gm sells.

I don't remember which article it was in but Ford did confirm this engine is longer than the 6.2 due to larger bore spacing. All signs currently point to this 7.3 being a monster. With the forged, 8 bolt crank, the pistons, rings, and heat/friction coatings, all of which mean the 7.3 is set up for boost straight from the factory... can't wait until these start hitting the street. And, yes, I am also hopeful that there will be more aftermarket support. I'm currently putting feelers out to custom crank builders for a billet stroker for my 6.2. Would sure be nice to be able to use off the shelf parts.