Ford Gen3 Raptor and it's future- R's in greater #'s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DyLivn

Reaction score
meh, I'd like to see the TRX complete the Baja 1000 in the allotted time.

bwahahahaha

The Raptor may well crush the TRX in the Baja 1000. But the reality is the majority of prospective buyers are going to use these trucks to parking lot pimp, drive to work, take trips with the family, etc. Gravel/mud roads are the worst most of these trucks will see. I will admit I fit into that group. For either truck, the combination of power, interior room, comfort (supple suspension), utility, and road presence (looks) is unmatched by anything else on the road. Other than fuel economy they are the best daily drivers/do it all vehicles on the road, for petrol heads. Factor in the insane residuals and there just is nothing better for a daily driver IMO.

I know many of us also have fast cars in the garage that are used as toys. Having a daily driver truck with launch control and a 700hp full time AWD powertrain that can do 0-60 in under 4 seconds ticks a huge box.

Chainsaw

Ghost of a Raptor Owner
Reaction score
Agree, but not going IMO will always be there. Tell me how good it is, go do what the Raptor has done, run the Baja 1000 in the allotted time....both generations. :)

Who cares? I think it is really cool that a stock production vehicle completed the Baja 1000, I really do. But it changes nothing about your truck or ownership experience.

Meanwhile, you have other stock Raptors who can't even complete an FRF event without breaking down..

The Baja thing was neat and a great marketing move by Ford. But to constantly hold it up as some artificial measure of legitimacy is silly.

Chainsaw

Ghost of a Raptor Owner
Reaction score
One thing that I think is worth noting....people tend to view the Raptor as very important to Ford. That's to be expected, as this is a Raptor forum, and the Raptor certainly has been important to Ford in the past. However, I think you can gauge how important a model is to a manufacturer by how much marketing effort they put into it.

Ford introduced the new F150 about a year ago, and it was big deal. Obviously, it's essentially the core of their business, so it needs to be. They introduce the Bronco too, and put a lot of marketing into that, with a reservation system and everything. The Lightning was a big deal as well. Huge production at a Ford plant. The new Raptor? Not on the same scale at all. It appears almost as an after thought. Arguably, they spent more on the Maverick then they did no the Raptor.

I'm not saying the Raptor doesn't matter to Ford, but it appears to be well down on the priority list. That's surely because of an established fan base, but I imagine also because it's success is less crucial to the success of Ford as a whole.

Ram/Jeep probably needs the TRX than Ford needs the Raptor, in a way. Although I wouldn't be too surprised if there execs are more concerned about holding off the Bronco competition and not falling too far behind in the EV race. Won't matter how much the TRX helps the Ram brand if they lose there.

Mm, I don't think FCA approaches the TRX any differently than Ford does the Raptor.

One of the bigwigs at FCA (CEO? President? I forget) already said the Hellcat is going away in a couple of years. Maybe the TRX lives on in a neutered V6 form, who knows.

I think both companies enjoy the notoriety and marketing plaudits that come with a flagship truck like Raptor/TRX, but it does not change their long-term strategy or determine future success of the business.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who cares? I think it is really cool that a stock production vehicle completed the Baja 1000, I really do. But it changes nothing about your truck or ownership experience.

Meanwhile, you have other stock Raptors who can't even complete an FRF event without breaking down..

The Baja thing was neat and a great marketing move by Ford. But to constantly hold it up as some artificial measure of legitimacy is silly.
I thought it was about the capabilities of an off road truck...I’m thinking one is more a capable off road than the other.

if I want to go fast on pavement, I’ll go pick up an old CBR1100 for 5k and do circles around both while getting 40mpg lol

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Funny thread. Guy defending the TRX most haven't driven against a truck that nobody has driven.

No smokey burnouts for the TRX. ;)

Raptor37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny thread. Guy defending the TRX most haven't driven against a truck that nobody has driven.

No smokey burnouts for the TRX. ;)
lol, excellent point!

Ill withold judgements until I drive both.

Either way, I am still going with the Raptor because I CAN say I like the look of the 3rd gen more than the TRX and I am confident the off-road ability will be just as good if not better.

As for the power, the trade off for fuel mileage and $$ difference is a deal killer for me. I am sure I would LOVE the 700hp for about a year, then the love fest would wear off and I would realize frequent trips to the pump start to be a PITA.

Mike O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whew!!! What a bunch of well-informed and well-intentioned garbage to read through. I think it is fair and honest to say that these two trucks are still in different classes. The TRX is not meant to run Baja. Never was. Which is why I puked in my mouth when I heard the TRX has a Baja mode. W T F??? It is like putting a "Launch Mode" on a Prius.

Whether people want to admit it or not, the purpose of the two trucks are different. I run Baja once or twice a month. Mostly pretty calm, but sometimes pretty hard. This is not the same as typical open desert racing. Quick acceleration and deceleration, quick and hard approaches to obstacles, and tight, fast turns. LIGHT AND NIMBLE are the keys here.

Different trucks for different purposes. Both are better at what they were meant to do.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I read that Ford is playing around with taking the Ford Godzilla Engine and twin turbocharging it. That would be great for the Raptor.
That’s a superduty work truck motor now. Let’s see, change the block to aluminum, add twin turbos and retune. Now we have a motor lighter than the Predator 5.2SC and a whole lot larger @ 7.3L. That would keep the Raptors balance and deliver oh 800 lbs-ft @ 2k rpm lol. It’s nice to fantasy build.

Ford while they will have the 3.5 gas sipper, I can’t see them building a Raptor R that still won’t obtain better range than a TRX.