EcoBoost Raptor coming in 2013?? Take a look...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I find it entertaining! Although I agree 100% with Pirate I still find it awesome that Retar continues to post those novels of his! This has mademy weekend!!

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Lets assume for a min that Ford does put the 5.8 in the Raptor. I will also assume the 5.8 in the GT500 is hand built in the Romeo plant. If that's the case re they going to be able to double the production? The GT500 and Raptors probably top 20,000 units a year maybe close to 30,000. Sounds like a lot of work to me. Seems easier to use an engine already in the F150 lineup since the Raptor is built on the same line. Cuts a lot of costs out. Just saying..

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A couple points:

Ford used EPAS on the ECO to pad both the mpg and hp numbers.

I can't remember where I read it, might have been in one of the Eco race truck articles, but a Ford rep specifically stated that EPAS could not effectively handle the large tires off road as it is currently designed.

Every person on the F150 forum that has installed 33's or larger has stated that there is a noticeable impact on steering response.

IF there were an Eco in a Raptor it wouldn't be the same Eco that comes in the other F150's, not because they aren't special, but because 1) EPAS can't support the abuse the Raptor was designed for, 2) no provision on Eco for power steering-doesn't mean you can't install a power steering pump it just isn't there from the factory, 3) an Eco running hydraulic steering would produce 5-10 less hp and hauling around 35's and an extra 500lbs would impact mpg's to the point where you probably wouldn't save as much as you might think.

Seems to me there would need to be a 'hook' from a marketing standpoint. 'buy the Eco Raptor, have less hp/tq and get almost the same mpg'. It doesn't seem like a winning pitch to me.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. It's a modified 5.4. Not a brand new engine platform. I didn't say the 4.6 and 5.4 were the same engine. Stop making Shit up to argue about. I didn't say the 5.0 and 6.2 were similar, I said they shared a bunch of the new technology, learn to read.

2. Its not that complicated.

Umm... Speaking of apples to donkeys, this whole ****** pointless argument is you comparing the 6.2 to an imaginary engine, how's that for dragons to school busses?

If it were so simple why didn't ford just build the 5.8 from the beginning? Oh that's right, the 5.4 that the 5.8 was modified from was axe'd for the 5.0 and 6.2.

3. If you're that worried about weight you probably shouldn't buy the Raptor. Everything about it weighs more. A v6 f150 sounds more your style.

The 5.8 you want doesn't already exsist. It's only in your head.

So if the 2013 6.2 gets an improved 0.5 mpg will you still be bitching about it and comparing it to your imaginary engine?

Once again the 5.8 you want does not already exsist. It's all in your head.

So wait your telling me the 4.6, 5.0, 5.4, 5.8, 6.2 are all similar to be considered the same platform but earlier you were saying, oh yeah just because they have 8 cylinders lol the 5.0 and 6.2 are real similar lol lol lol. So which is it? Make up your mind if you want to argue.

4. So if you know the 6.2 doesn't prohibit the use of epas why do you keep bring it up and trying to use it against the 6.2. Do you like making Shit up to argue about?

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I"m sure I'll love my 6.2 when I get my Raptor. ... Just because I would have preferred a 3.5 doesn't mean I don't like the 6.2, or there's anything horrible about it, it's a very fitting engine for the truck, but there's clearly a market for offering the EB in the Raptor, and I'd jump in that line as well if there was one.

It's best when the 6r80e is in T/H mode :waytogo:

The 3.5 EB Raptor might happen. Think the SCrew was in response to customer demand.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:supergay: post

You can dish it out but can't take it - time to unbunch your *******

Calm down special memember Dan.

On a serious note, would you rather a, keep your 5.4. B, trade for a 6.2. C, trade for a ecoboost if available. D, trade for a 5.8 if available?

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On a serious note, would you rather a, keep your 5.4. B, trade for a 6.2. C, trade for a ecoboost if available. D, trade for a 5.8 if available?

Deciding based on cost: Keep the 5.4L

Getting a new Raptor: EcoBoost as it's not clear to me what advantage the 5.8 has over the 6.2 or EB. How much HP/TQ do you expect the 5.8 to put out? And MPGs?

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is there a way I can get a thread to not show up in new posts?

You're obviously pretty bored if you just keep clicking on the thread to post up how much you don't like it, yet add no value or discussion points to the thread, so maybe pick up another hobby :crazy:

I find it entertaining! Although I agree 100% with Pirate I still find it awesome that Retar continues to post those novels of his! This has mademy weekend!!

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Lets assume for a min that Ford does put the 5.8 in the Raptor. I will also assume the 5.8 in the GT500 is hand built in the Romeo plant. If that's the case re they going to be able to double the production? The GT500 and Raptors probably top 20,000 units a year maybe close to 30,000. Sounds like a lot of work to me. Seems easier to use an engine already in the F150 lineup since the Raptor is built on the same line. Cuts a lot of costs out. Just saying..

Well the Romeo plant where the 5.8's are being built did get a $50 million investment. If the Raptor did get a 5.8 I don't think it'd be on the same level of detail as the Shelby builds, more along the lines of the mass produced L/HD supercharged engines, they were able to build 15-20 thousand of those a year. Yes it would add costs initially to make a varient of it suitable for the f150, but I don't think it would be offered as a 5th engine choice to the f150, I'd think it would just replace the 6.2. The more vehicles they can share an engine between, the more economical it is for them. Less parts, less tooling, fewer unique manufacturing lines.

A couple points:

Ford used EPAS on the ECO to pad both the mpg and hp numbers.

I can't remember where I read it, might have been in one of the Eco race truck articles, but a Ford rep specifically stated that EPAS could not effectively handle the large tires off road as it is currently designed.

Every person on the F150 forum that has installed 33's or larger has stated that there is a noticeable impact on steering response.

IF there were an Eco in a Raptor it wouldn't be the same Eco that comes in the other F150's, not because they aren't special, but because 1) EPAS can't support the abuse the Raptor was designed for, 2) no provision on Eco for power steering-doesn't mean you can't install a power steering pump it just isn't there from the factory, 3) an Eco running hydraulic steering would produce 5-10 less hp and hauling around 35's and an extra 500lbs would impact mpg's to the point where you probably wouldn't save as much as you might think.

Seems to me there would need to be a 'hook' from a marketing standpoint. 'buy the Eco Raptor, have less hp/tq and get almost the same mpg'. It doesn't seem like a winning pitch to me.

I think the marketing pitch would be more along the lines of "save $1,500 over the more expensive 6.2 option, have equal towing capabilities, have marginally lower hp/tq, but save $500-$1000 a year in annual fuel costs. :peace:

1. It's a modified 5.4. Not a brand new engine platform. I didn't say the 4.6 and 5.4 were the same engine. Stop making Shit up to argue about. I didn't say the 5.0 and 6.2 were similar, I said they shared a bunch of the new technology, learn to read.

I'm asking what technology the 6.2 and 5.0 share.

And if you want to believe that they are taking 5.4 blocks and boring them out to make 5.8's down an assembly line than so be it. The 5.8 does share the 5.4's main architecture and the extra displacement is achieved by increasing the 5.4's bore, but the point remains, that a huge amount of money was spent on engineering efforts to design the new block, and develop the new machining process. I'm not saying they started with a blank sheet of paper and came up with a 5.8. Pretty much every new engine now days has evolved from some older engine. What I'm saying is that the investment to develop the evolved engine does cost a pretty penny, and by utilizing it in multiple platforms they maximize their return on investment.

2. Its not that complicated.

Umm... Speaking of apples to donkeys, this whole ****** pointless argument is you comparing the 6.2 to an imaginary engine, how's that for dragons to school busses?

Make up your mind, is the 5.8 real or imaginary? Because all of the press releases for the 2013 Shelby are pretty real. Heck here's a pic for ya...

timthumb.php

Now you don't have to imagine it! BTW recheck the thread topic, this is 2013 Raptor discussions. It's ALL imaginary! There is no 2013 Raptor. So this whole thread is discussion on what we think may be in it :waytogo:

If it were so simple why didn't ford just build the 5.8 from the beginning? Oh that's right, the 5.4 that the 5.8 was modified from was axe'd for the 5.0 and 6.2.

English?

3. If you're that worried about weight you probably shouldn't buy the Raptor. Everything about it weighs more. A v6 f150 sounds more your style.

Oh man, let me guess, every post that pops up about guys saying they wish their truck got better mileage, you post in them saying they should have gotten a Prius don't you? I didn't realize you were one of those guys who can only think on one extreme or the other lol. It's even funnier in this case because dropping weight also improves performance, and if things such as aluminum blocks and other weight saving methods were used on the truck that can retain the same function of being an offroading fully capable truck, you do realize it would improve the performance of the truck as well.

Ah I'm wasting my time even responding to you. You're right, I should have gotten a gutted prius. That'll fit the bill perfectly for an offroad capable, towing capable, badazz ride :supergay:

The 5.8 you want doesn't already exsist. It's only in your head.

So if the 2013 6.2 gets an improved 0.5 mpg will you still be bitching about it and comparing it to your imaginary engine?

I'm not bitching about anything. I'm in this 2013 Raptor discussion thread discussing what we all think may be in the 2013 Raptor. Did you confuse this thinking it was the 2010 Raptor thread?

Once again the 5.8 you want does not already exsist. It's all in your head.

So wait your telling me the 4.6, 5.0, 5.4, 5.8, 6.2 are all similar to be considered the same platform but earlier you were saying, oh yeah just because they have 8 cylinders lol the 5.0 and 6.2 are real similar lol lol lol. So which is it? Make up your mind if you want to argue.

It's pretty cool when a few posts on an internet forum and I've reached the max you're capable of comprehending :ROFLJest:

I'll try to explain it again for you, but your head may spin so be prepared. :shocked:

All those engines are on the same platform as far as the modular motor platform. You're saying the 5.4 is so old it's ready to be killed forever, and the 5.8 is already outdated just because it's design evolved from the 5.4. You do realize that the Windsor platform was around for 40 years and there were many many many evolutions of the windsor engines. All these new modular motors are similar enough on that modular platform that this platform will still be around for easily another 20+ years.

Now on my posts about them being unique, the blocks themselves are. Each one has dedicated nonrecurring engineering hours into its development, and manufacturing set up. Even though they're all the modular platform, it costs a good chunk to create. Whether it's a new engine size that evolved out of an older one (5.8 from the 5.4), or a new engine that steps away from other standard architectures.

4. So if you know the 6.2 doesn't prohibit the use of epas why do you keep bring it up and trying to use it against the 6.2. Do you like making Shit up to argue about?

Plain and simple. The 6.2 doesn't come equipped with EPAS right now, all the other 3 engine offerings do. There is nothing that would stop from putting EPAS on the 6.2, but they don't put it on. THerefore the fact that the 6.2 doesn't come equipped with EPAS, and I want EPAS, is a check in the negative column for the 6.2 in my book.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
You're obviously pretty bored if you just keep clicking on the thread to post up how much you don't like it, yet add no value or discussion points to the thread, so maybe pick up another hobby :crazy:

OK Craptar. Or maybe I know when to keep my mouth shut when I don't know what the **** I'm talking about unlike you, you ******* retard.

Do you really think anyone here is taking you seriously anymore?

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the marketing pitch would be more along the lines of "save $1,500 over the more expensive 6.2 option, have equal towing capabilities, have marginally lower hp/tq, but save $500-$1000 a year in annual fuel costs. :peace:

You are assuming that Ford will eat the tooling costs associated with putting the Eco in a Raptor. I admit we are talking nothing more than adding a power steering pump, but the accessory layout doesn't allow for one which means there will be an expense. It probably won't be enough to make up the 1500$ difference but it will eat into it.

As for fuel savings, that's arguable. Most guys with the Eco aren't seeing the advertised mpg's unloaded and are downright pissed about 8-10mpg towing. I just don't see much better numbers and in a flagship vehicle giving up any hp/tq for a 1-2mpg savings just doesn't sound viable.

Having said all that, if they did just a couple tweaks to the Eco to match or exceed the 6.2 output (easily done), I have no doubt they would sell as many as they can make.