EcoBoost Raptor coming in 2013?? Take a look...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd agree there is a buzz already existing over an ecoboost into the raptor. While a bunch of current owners will flame against it, there have been a large number of potential owners and even a handful of current ones who have said in the past they would have loved an ecoboost in the Raptor. And again for the narrow minded ones who instantly rage against any change or addition of options, nobody's saying make the 3.5 EB the ONLY engine choice, but open it up and make it an engine option other than the 6.2. Not going to open up a 3.5 vs 6.2 debate again, but from the discussions its generated in the past, there is an interest out there.

I do think you make a good point if it were just a regular n/a engine in there, there'd be no reason to cover the grille, but if it were an ecoboost 3.5 or a s/c 5.8 they'd want to hide any heat exchanger. But on the same side they could just be using the same front end cover that they are on several other test mules that have headlight and grille updates, even if the raptor only got headlight updates.

As for EPAS, they wouldn't need to change engines to add EPAS. I'm sure they could add it onto the 6.2, but again it'd need testing with the larger tires, and also the additional load on the electrical system, etc. since IIRC they put a different ratio steering on the screw raptors with traditional power steering, so I'm sure they'd have a good amount of testing to do if they brought it to the raptor. After test driving the full 2011 lineup of powertrains, I quickly became a big fan of EPAS on the 3.7/5.0/3.5EB trucks.
The days of the modular powered F-150 are over. Motors built on the Romeo niche line are meant to be low production. If Ford was to put the GT500 motor in the Raptor it would a huge step backwards and the 6.2L is the top motor in the F-150 and what the Raptor was designed to have. The only reason the 5.4L went into the Raptor was because at some point in the R&D phase the 6.2L and Raptor got out of sync. The 6.2L was in development for over 10 year off and on it was designed to have a power steering pump if putting EPAS on was a simple process it would have been done durning the R&D process not 3 years into production.

I love how you're so set in stone with that statement. Yes ford will NEVER go to direct injection on any other engine, that is known to improve efficiency! There were guys several years ago saying twin turbos would never end up on a Ford truck. Or a V6 would never be able to tow 11,300 lbs in a truck. Or any of that. Do you really want Ford to just stop in their tracks with progressing in technology, and just stay where they're at rather than be ahead of the curve compared to GM and Dodge?

There was carbs, then there was throttle body injection, then there was multiport injection, now there is direct injection. Each one making a step towards improved efficiency and potential power gains. You're right, Ford should not only stop dead in their tracks and not move forward with DI, but rather take a few step backs before they get any more ahead of themselves. I think the 2013 will have quad 2 bbl carbs! :ROFLJest:
The reason is because the Lead engineer for Ford's V-8 program said there are no plans for a DI or DITT 5.0. I'm not saying that will never be a DI F-150 but it just won't be on this generation.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BIG NEWS FOR THE 2013 FORD RAPTOR!!!!!

Since the 5.8 is so undeniably full of bad ass, Ford decided to......

Put over-sized tires and FOX quadruple internally by-pass shock on the GT500!!! I know what you're thinkin... Yes the new GTrapHUNDRED will only have 3 inches of suspension travel, but who needs travel when you got 650 fire breathing, 6.2 ass kickin, pony's under the hood??? This thing will row across the desert like a ancient greek god ship!!

Its Awesome!!!.JPG

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The heat exchanger for the intercooled turbos is lower than the grill and main radiator; clearly showing through the bumper cutout. Check it yourself, it's in a bad place for an offroad vehicled.

On the current 3.5 EB's on the regular f150's yes, but ford may have moved those in a different location for the Raptor if they were going to add the 3.5 EB into it, which could be a reason for masking the grille off. Just speculation, but hey could be a reason since what we can see through the mesh of the grille itself looks identical to the current grille.

The days of the modular powered F-150 are over. Motors built on the Romeo niche line are meant to be low production. If Ford was to put the GT500 motor in the Raptor it would a huge step backwards and the 6.2L is the top motor in the F-150 and what the Raptor was designed to have. The only reason the 5.4L went into the Raptor was because at some point in the R&D phase the 6.2L and Raptor got out of sync. The 6.2L was in development for over 10 year off and on it was designed to have a power steering pump if putting EPAS on was a simple process it would have been done durning the R&D process not 3 years into production.

Wow, can you fit both feet in your mouth or just one? You do know the meaning of a modular engine correct? The days of the modular powered f150 are not over, they've been here since 1997 and they're not going away. Ford is not going to go back to OHC and pushrods after all of this time with OHV and no pushrods.

And your comment with the 6.2 has been in development for 10 years, etc. is further reasoning towards it not being in this for the long haul in the trucks. It was supposed to be the next big thing, then things changed with the revamp and full new engine lineup. The 6.2 filled a spot as a premium engine since it was already in the works from long before the 3.7/3.5EB/5.0 lineup, and I'm ready to bet it's just a placeholder till the 5.8 is in full swing.

As for EPAS, again your comment the 6.2 has been in the works for a decade again provides an answer towards that. EPAS wasn't even a thought back then. EPAS is on the 3.7/3.5/5.0 because those 3 engines are 3 peas in a pod with their similarities, the 6.2 is the odd duckling and came through a different development path. If the 6.2 was done from the start side by side with the other 3 engines, very good odds EPAS would have been on that as well.

The reason is because the Lead engineer for Ford's V-8 program said there are no plans for a DI or DITT 5.0. I'm not saying that will never be a DI F-150 but it just won't be on this generation.

I agree with you on that one. I don't think DI will hit the 5.0 till a new generation of vehicles. If a next gen f150 and next gen mustang don't hit at the same time, I'd think the DI would hit the mustang power plant 1st with a mustang major redesign, as the 5.0 is the all-star engine for the mustang (with the exception of the shelby line), where the 5.0 is just a middle of the road engine for regular f150's.

BIG NEWS FOR THE 2013 FORD RAPTOR!!!!!

Since the 5.8 is so undeniably full of bad ass, Ford decided to......

Put over-sized tires and FOX quadruple internally by-pass shock on the GT500!!! I know what you're thinkin... Yes the new GTrapHUNDRED will only have 3 inches of suspension travel, but who needs travel when you got 650 fire breathing, 6.2 ass kickin, pony's under the hood??? This thing will row across the desert like a ancient greek god ship!!

View attachment 5067

Dude now we're talking! If that can tow 8,000 lbs sign me up LOL!

comagt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh boy...

Ford developed the 5.8 to; A, tackle the ZL1 powertrain, and B evolve the current 5.4 GT500 platform. With your logic why build the road runner just to use it in the Boss? Why build the 00 Cobra R engine never to use it again? Why build the 03-04 Terminator engine never to use it again? Why build the 95 Cobra R engine never to use it again? Why build the 93 Cobra engine never to use it again. Why build the Cobra Jet engine, its never going into mass production?? Why build the FGT engine just for the FGT. Why why why? Because a Niche car comes with a Niche engine. We never saw/see those engines again for a reason.

Ford will never put de-tuned GT500 engine in the Raptor, or any F150 unless its a 3rd gen L. A lot of the Raptors success is its price tag. Its unique, practical enough for most to consider, and AFFORDABLE. The GT500 engine would easily raise the price tag over 60k. If Fords going to do that, invest in the suspension or safety devises. Its a off road truck not a street truck. It doesn't need 600 plus horse power or the problems that come with it.
An GT500 engine F150 also goes the opposite direction Ford is going with the F150s. How does a blown gas guzzling 600 hp engine fit with the ecoboost/economy direction Ford is pushing for?

The 6.2 doesn't fit the family and is odd duck out because its not DOHC? It's a truck motor built to go in trucks. It serves its purpose in SOHC iron form just fine. You know the 6.7 scorpion is an odd duck too, guess its time to shit can that motor. Besides, how do you know Ford doesn't have a DOHC 6.2 in the works? Maybe that's under the mule hood...

Of course Ford could squeeze 400+hp with a N/A 5.8. But at what cost to torque and drive-ability on regular unleaded? This would be going into a truck after all. Overall hp would be sacrificed for torque and cooler combustion temperatures just like the 5.0 and every other motor Ford shared between cars and trucks. Oh, and plasma spray bore cylinder block liners sound like a feasible truck engine recipe.

Exactly!! I already tried saying this once. The 5.8 is a dud without the TVS and you wont see belted boost in the Raptor . Its a step backwards vs the 6.2 platform for future trucks.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exactly!! I already tried saying this once. The 5.8 is a dud without the TVS and you wont see belted boost in the Raptor . Its a step backwards vs the 6.2 platform for future trucks.

yep, Ford picked one heck of a dud of an engine to stick in the 2013 Shelby. That TVS actually makes 400 hp on its own, and the 5.8 only makes about 200ish :shocked:

What do you guys think your junk would shrivel up or something if the smaller displacement size engine went into the trucks even if it had more power? Is that big "6.2" badge on the door compensation to try and fool the ladies into thinking it's indication for the size of the tictac in the cab and not the displacement of the engine under the hood? lol.

Last edited:

TBONE21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys ever think there could be a 6.2 eco boost? Just something to think about. It could happen

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Remember when I said the 5.8 was an evolved 5.4?? Ford took the exsisting gt500 5.4 block, bored it out, with the help of some exotic cylinder wall liners, was able to safely achieve 5.8 litres. It's not an all new engine that's ready to sweep the world over. It's the last remaining effort from an all but DEAD engine family. That's it! A couple other refinements a new blower and that's it! It's not some new ****** big deal, its based off a dying engine platform that's three times older then the 6.2.

2. In theory the tvs blower is making up a little over 325 hp (not counting parasitic losses) of the 650hp on its own. It's a little disspointing the 5.8 takes 15 pounds of boost to achieve 650 hp. Sure its probably conservative tune, but we see the same numbers from less pounds of boost from the dinosaur dirt 6.2.

3. Is there any good reason to Shit can the 6.2?? Can you give one? It's leading the class in power. It's simple, basic, cheaper to manufacture, has comparable mpg#, and it cleans the air. It makes shy of 500hp with bolt ons. Has no common failure issues. What else do you want??

4. The 6.2 does not use epas because it also goes in the superdutys. You tell me how many superdutys use electronic steering GEAR BOXES. None! It needs to have the bolt bosses to mount a power steering pump for the superdutys. The 6.2 could easily use the epas system by simply not bolting a power steering pump to the front of it. It's that ******* simple.

5. What the **** pills are you on because you need to start sharing.