EcoBoost Raptor coming in 2013?? Take a look...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seriously wtf man??? chill the hell out ....unless your joking then i dont give a dam

Huh?? I'm pretty chill. A little burned out after fours worth of finals this evening but its all good

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't the intercooler be visible if these were 3.5TT powered? Maybe the bottom grill pieces were removed to get a little air to the radiators. The Tyvek over the grills is blocking the main air flow.

Checked an F150 with the 3.5TT last night. The intercooler ( heat exchanger ) for the turbos is very visible through the bumper opening. None of these pics shows an Ecoboost powered vehicle.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This shit makes me LOL. The only logical thing is that its an Ecoboost motor. The Coyote 5.0 maybe if Ford wanted to ignore the demand for the Ecoboost Raptor but definitely not the RoadRunner. The RoadRunner was designed with RYE for the BOSS302R program like the 6.2L is a truck motor the RoadRunner is a Mustang motor. Ford wouldn't have to cover the front grill on a Coyote powered Raptor because there is nothing to hide. Also the 6.2L doesn't have EPAS the Ecoboost and Coyote both have it so that would explain the missing skid plate.

I'd agree there is a buzz already existing over an ecoboost into the raptor. While a bunch of current owners will flame against it, there have been a large number of potential owners and even a handful of current ones who have said in the past they would have loved an ecoboost in the Raptor. And again for the narrow minded ones who instantly rage against any change or addition of options, nobody's saying make the 3.5 EB the ONLY engine choice, but open it up and make it an engine option other than the 6.2. Not going to open up a 3.5 vs 6.2 debate again, but from the discussions its generated in the past, there is an interest out there.

I do think you make a good point if it were just a regular n/a engine in there, there'd be no reason to cover the grille, but if it were an ecoboost 3.5 or a s/c 5.8 they'd want to hide any heat exchanger. But on the same side they could just be using the same front end cover that they are on several other test mules that have headlight and grille updates, even if the raptor only got headlight updates.

As for EPAS, they wouldn't need to change engines to add EPAS. I'm sure they could add it onto the 6.2, but again it'd need testing with the larger tires, and also the additional load on the electrical system, etc. since IIRC they put a different ratio steering on the screw raptors with traditional power steering, so I'm sure they'd have a good amount of testing to do if they brought it to the raptor. After test driving the full 2011 lineup of powertrains, I quickly became a big fan of EPAS on the 3.7/5.0/3.5EB trucks.

And to add fuel to the fire....Direct Injection anybody?

Only on an Ecoboost. The DI 5.0 will never see the light of day especially in a truck.

I love how you're so set in stone with that statement. Yes ford will NEVER go to direct injection on any other engine, that is known to improve efficiency! There were guys several years ago saying twin turbos would never end up on a Ford truck. Or a V6 would never be able to tow 11,300 lbs in a truck. Or any of that. Do you really want Ford to just stop in their tracks with progressing in technology, and just stay where they're at rather than be ahead of the curve compared to GM and Dodge?

There was carbs, then there was throttle body injection, then there was multiport injection, now there is direct injection. Each one making a step towards improved efficiency and potential power gains. You're right, Ford should not only stop dead in their tracks and not move forward with DI, but rather take a few step backs before they get any more ahead of themselves. I think the 2013 will have quad 2 bbl carbs! :ROFLJest:

They found a spot in the where there is a cast mark about the same size as a fuel injector but if 5.0 was meant to be DI it would have been releases like that. A lot more goes into a DI set-up then just drilling holes in the head for fuel injectors.

And why would it have been released like that? Well you already answered that. There's a lot more into DI than just drilling a hole in the head. But if that casting mark really is for DI, Ford simply put a bookmark in that chapter by creating ONE head casting, and leaving the opportunity there in the future to step up to DI without spending more nonrecurring engineering costs to redesign the head just to add that casting, and remake the head cast molds. That part already being done saves a crap ton of money, and in the future if they did want to add it, it would be just adding a step in the machining process rather than starting from scratch again on designing and manufacturing heads. The 5.0 in itself with multiport has already made a huge impact in the automotive world with its current capabilities. When things start to get stale in the future several years, and to not have to come out with yet another engine to stay ahead of the curve, they could simply add the extra machining step to the existing heads, finish the engineering to incorporate DI into the vehicle, and have a significant update to the 5.0 platform.

Is it really that hard to think those things through from a business standpoint, or do we just have that many people on this site who aren't forward thinkers?

**** me are you STILL talking?? How'd your imaginary Raptor with its imaginary engine drive today?

Okay pirate, what would you like to discuss then on the Raptor Discussion Forum if discussing future Raptors is angering you? I understand I blew up every one of your arguements on why the 5.8 wouldn't be a shared platform just like every single other engine Ford has had in the past 20+ years and you have no valid counterpoint to that, but should we just talk about how AWESOME your current Raptor is, and how everything Ford did on it is SOOOOO perfect with NO room for improvement, and that any future raptor will suck balls big time if they change ANYTHING to it, because quite frankly if anything on a new raptor is cooler, that makes us all very very angry! :baby:

If you don't want to read about discussion on what future raptors or f150's potentially may hold, then get the hell out of this thread! Simple as that! :ROFLJest:

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do think you make a good point if it were just a regular n/a engine in there, there'd be no reason to cover the grille, but if it were an ecoboost 3.5 or a s/c 5.8 they'd want to hide any heat exchanger.

The heat exchanger for the intercooled turbos is lower than the grill and main radiator; clearly showing through the bumper cutout. Check it yourself, it's in a bad place for an offroad vehicled.