Doug Demuro Gen3 Review.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive looked real hard and test drove the TRX. For me it came down to a few things, and most are a preference things:

-Gen3 looks better IMO. It's nice that it actually does not look like a regular F150 (I think the 2021s are a bit ugly with their odd side vents but thats a different topic) The TRX looks like a FAT Rebel, even up close...

-700+ HP in a truck for 11-12 MPG is not for me. If I want to go fast on the street I'll drive my GTR. The 16-18 MPG Raptor goes faster than I'll need to push it off road so easy Gen3 choice for me.

- I personally HATE the "tesla like" layout of the infotainment screen in the Rams. I think its much more appealing to look at and useful in the new F150s

-Interior was honestly a push for me. Sure the ram has a couple extra peices of leather like on the grab handles but all in all, the new F150 Raptor has a very usefully layout and I am a fan of the inside work-station.

-I do LOVE the way the TRX sounds but I like the ability to make my truck quite for early morning driving and stuff even more so Gen3 here again for me.

-Lastly, the ability to plug my little camper into the bed of the Gen3 if I need to in a pinch was huge too.

Again, mainly all personal preferences but easy Gen3 win for me. And I was very close to just saying, "screw it! Ill go with the overproduced Helcat truck" Because Ford has been horrible with its rollout of this new Raptor and I feel like Ive been waiting far too long for an ordered truck with no information as to why. But I am glad I held out and my truck is in transit now...

Raptorlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reviews kicking off TRX comparisons is surprising to me. We've all known the HP and V6 vs. V8 difference for months. I'm going with the Raptor because I believe it's a more complete vehicle and fits my intended long distance touring vehicle needs.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ive looked real hard and test drove the TRX. For me it came down to a few things, and most are a preference things:

-Gen3 looks better IMO. It's nice that it actually does not look like a regular F150 (I think the 2021s are a bit ugly with their odd side vents but thats a different topic) The TRX looks like a FAT Rebel, even up close...

-700+ HP in a truck for 11-12 MPG is not for me. If I want to go fast on the street I'll drive my GTR. The 16-18 MPG Raptor goes faster than I'll need to push it off road so easy Gen3 choice for me.

- I personally HATE the "tesla like" layout of the infotainment screen in the Rams. I think its much more appealing to look at and useful in the new F150s

-Interior was honestly a push for me. Sure the ram has a couple extra peices of leather like on the grab handles but all in all, the new F150 Raptor has a very usefully layout and I am a fan of the inside work-station.

-I do LOVE the way the TRX sounds but I like the ability to make my truck quite for early morning driving and stuff even more so Gen3 here again for me.

-Lastly, the ability to plug my little camper into the bed of the Gen3 if I need to in a pinch was huge too.

Again, mainly all personal preferences but easy Gen3 win for me. And I was very close to just saying, "screw it! Ill go with the overproduced Helcat truck" Because Ford has been horrible with its rollout of this new Raptor and I feel like Ive been waiting far too long for an ordered truck with no information as to why. But I am glad I held out and my truck is in transit now...
Spot on - hit all the same points for me. Plus it needs to function as a family truck so my wife can't be terrified to drive it, she already has enough issues with a V8 Tundra

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The reviews kicking off TRX comparisons is surprising to me. We've all known the HP and V6 vs. V8 difference for months.

They must believe that their audience is just now entering the discussion and completely unaware. For Demuro's audience, that could very well be pretty close to accurate, since he reviews cars mostly and trucks rarely. Again, thought it odd he would go into detail about the tailgate steps, as if it's not a feature that's been around for 7 years and almost anyone who owns a truck already knows about.

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They must believe that their audience is just now entering the discussion and completely unaware. For Demuro's audience, that could very well be pretty close to accurate, since he reviews cars mostly and trucks rarely. Again, thought it odd he would go into detail about the tailgate steps, as if it's not a feature that's been around for 7 years and almost anyone who owns a truck already knows about.
Is the tailgate step a quirk or a feature?

Raptorbegone

Reaction score
Maybe you're too young to remember, but back in the Clinton years, Smith cut a deal with the government where they would put locks on their guns in return for immunity from prosecution. Basically, they threw their users and the rest of the gun industry under the bus for their own advantage. IIRC, people got mad and sales dropped by about half and they sold S&W to another big holding company. But their revolvers still have locks. Look on the left side forward of the hammer. There are too many great guns made in the USA to buy from a company that's trading on a name and a reputation that is no longer earned.
cool. But two questions.

1. How long did that last?

and

2. Who the **** shoots a revolver?

So a company takes one wrong turn and it's curtains huh.

I prefer to remember these

M1A
model 1903
model 29
M1 Garand
M1917 enfield
M14

Springfield has had some of the most kick *** firearms in history. And a few of their modern offerings do not suck either.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
cool. But two questions.

and

M1A
model 1903
model 29
M1 Garand
M1917 enfield
M14

Springfield has had some of the most kick *** firearms in history. And a few of their modern offerings do not suck either.

I hate to embarrass you in public, but Springfield and S&W are different companies ... I think the only gun on your list that was designed by S&W is the model 29. I owned one back in the early 90s, but it was big, heavy, expensive to shoot, and not much fun, so I sold it. For $400. It was a nice piece. I wish I had kept it.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
cool. But two questions.

and

M1A
model 1903
model 29
M1 Garand
M1917 enfield
M14

Sorry, I didn't answer your other questions.

S&W revolvers still have locks today.
I shoot revolvers. What are you, some kind of Communist?