Doug Demuro Gen3 Review.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorbegone

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't answer your other questions.

S&W revolvers still have locks today.
I shoot revolvers. What are you, some kind of Communist?
This is public? Thats cute, sounds like my 15 year old.
If I type in capitol letters is that yelling too?

yes, very communist. no revolvers here.

You got me there, caught me mixing companies up. Burned!!

Was too busy with more modern **** I guess

Teghogh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive looked real hard and test drove the TRX. For me it came down to a few things, and most are a preference things:

-Gen3 looks better IMO. It's nice that it actually does not look like a regular F150 (I think the 2021s are a bit ugly with their odd side vents but thats a different topic) The TRX looks like a FAT Rebel, even up close...

-700+ HP in a truck for 11-12 MPG is not for me. If I want to go fast on the street I'll drive my GTR. The 16-18 MPG Raptor goes faster than I'll need to push it off road so easy Gen3 choice for me.

- I personally HATE the "tesla like" layout of the infotainment screen in the Rams. I think its much more appealing to look at and useful in the new F150s

-Interior was honestly a push for me. Sure the ram has a couple extra peices of leather like on the grab handles but all in all, the new F150 Raptor has a very usefully layout and I am a fan of the inside work-station.

-I do LOVE the way the TRX sounds but I like the ability to make my truck quite for early morning driving and stuff even more so Gen3 here again for me.
-Lastly, the ability to plug my little camper into the bed of the Gen3 if I need to in a pinch was huge too.

Again, mainly all personal preferences but easy Gen3 win for me. And I was very close to just saying, "screw it! Ill go with the overproduced Helcat truck" Because Ford has been horrible with its rollout of this new Raptor and I feel like Ive been waiting far too long for an ordered truck with no information as to why. But I am glad I held out and my truck is in transit now...
Ive looked real hard and test drove the TRX. For me it came down to a few things, and most are a preference things:

-Gen3 looks better IMO. It's nice that it actually does not look like a regular F150 (I think the 2021s are a bit ugly with their odd side vents but thats a different topic) The TRX looks like a FAT Rebel, even up close...

-700+ HP in a truck for 11-12 MPG is not for me. If I want to go fast on the street I'll drive my GTR. The 16-18 MPG Raptor goes faster than I'll need to push it off road so easy Gen3 choice for me.

- I personally HATE the "tesla like" layout of the infotainment screen in the Rams. I think its much more appealing to look at and useful in the new F150s

-Interior was honestly a push for me. Sure the ram has a couple extra peices of leather like on the grab handles but all in all, the new F150 Raptor has a very usefully layout and I am a fan of the inside work-station.

-I do LOVE the way the TRX sounds but I like the ability to make my truck quite for early morning driving and stuff even more so Gen3 here again for me.

-Lastly, the ability to plug my little camper into the bed of the Gen3 if I need to in a pinch was huge too.

Again, mainly all personal preferences but easy Gen3 win for me. And I was very close to just saying, "screw it! Ill go with the overproduced Helcat truck" Because Ford has been horrible with its rollout of this new Raptor and I feel like Ive been waiting far too long for an ordered truck with no information as to why. But I am glad I held out and my truck is in transit now...
Im coming from gen2 and waited for the pricing to be announced before I placed my order for a base trx at 68k. Had the raptor been similarly priced to 2020 model I would have ordered one in mid50 range since I could justify the price difference between the two. It’s that simple. These trucks at the same price point aren’t compatible regardless of how much you say they are.
I bought a rs5 brandnew in 2019. It was all around a more logical choice than c63amg, certainly better in the handing department and maybe a bit quicker. This justification lasted until my neighbor bought a c63 and I had to listen to the v8 gurgle every day and realized how pathetic my v6 RS5 sounded and sold it and got the raptor instead. I’m not a big v8 fan and never dismissed the gen2 for having a v6 as there was nothing comparable to it in the market. But more than the v8, the sound of the Hellcat blower is intoxicating, and makes you feel connected to the truck. I’m not making the Rs5 mistake again. But that’s me. Obviously not everyone thinks the same and that’s why so many bought the vacuum blower m4 over c63 but Atleast both of these were close in street performance where trx and the raptor don’t even belong to the same league. Everyone here talks about raptor R and how great that’s going to be which I have bo doubt that will be the case. How much do you think the gas mileage will be? The base raptor with 37s is 16 on highway and already is a 6k pound truck. so there is no way it would be better than the trx.
would the base raptor guys say no to raptor R if that was available at the same price point because the base raptor meets their need and how much better gas mileage it gets or would they jump ship without hesitation? If it’s the latter I don’t see how that doesn’t apply to the trx arguement unless there is fan boy logic involved.

the other point I’d like to make is that Atleast 80 percent of trx owners were previous raptor owners myself included. Can someone explain why that is the case?
Could it really be that gen3 is sooo close to gen2 in every measurable and unmeasurable aspects that gen2 guys decided to try something completely different? Can we agree that Ford completely dropped the ball here by not only not changing the drivetrain , but also. Not giving it a power bump so the gen 2 guys have a shred of reason to stay around or “upgrade”?
when was the last new model of any car as popular as the raptor that chose the same exact drivetrain for the next generation?

Last edited:

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a long time Raptor owner, so I love the Raptor and the brand. At first I was totally in disgust with the TRX and in NO WAY did I like it.. and in no way would I consider one over a 2021+ Raptor! I've always thought the Rebel was ugly and I'm somewhat of a Ford loyalist also. Ram? No way!! lol!

I started to look at the TRX for ***** and giggles as I pretty much wrote it off.. mainly because I had some brand loyalty and everything about the Raptor. After watching some youtube videos and visiting a local dealership that had a few TRX's on the lot (with markups), I discovered a few things-

The TRX DOES NOT look like the Rebel to me.. I thought it did, but it was only because I wasn't paying much attention to the TRX. To me, the TRX looks 100% better... mainly, the front grill which I had always thought was ugly on the Rebel is cleaner and smoother. Also, the wider body and overall look has left me liking it now that I got the "raptor fan boy" thing out of the way. There, I admitted it. :).

The interior is far superior in the TRX, less plastics, and just has a $80K truck feel to it... while I haven't seen the new Raptor interior in person, I have seen a few 2021 Limiteds and Platinums and the exposed plastic areas are the same or very similiar.. and it just looks and feels cheap in comparison. Could I live with the new Raptors interior? Yes. But I'd rather have the TRX interior in the Raptor if I'm being honest. Also, there are other nice additions, such as heated and vented rear seats.
My thoughts exactly!
I consider myself a Ford truck fanboy and have never even considered other trucks (after looking at them to be objective) but the Gen 3 Raptor just isn’t making an impression on me like the Gen 1 and 2 have. But the TRX does look like one bad a s s truck that I’m strongly considering ordering soon.

muditup

Reaction score
I don’t know for sure but I think it’s probably a safe bet to say the majority of people here knocking the TRX have never drove one, or anything with a hellcat motor in it. You couldn’t be more correct about the blower being intoxicating, can’t wipe the smile off my face every time I drive my charger. I couldn’t for a TRX for MSRP at the time I ordered my Raptor, at MSRP so I’ll have to save the BIG smile for the 2 wheelers! Lol

Raptor37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im coming from gen2 and waited for the pricing to be announced before I placed my order for a base trx at 68k. Had the raptor been similarly priced to 2020 model I would have ordered one in mid50 range since I could justify the price difference between the two. It’s that simple. These trucks at the same price point aren’t compatible regardless of how much you say they are.
I bought a rs5 brandnew in 2019. It was all around a more logical choice than c63amg, certainly better in the handing department and maybe a bit quicker. This justification lasted until my neighbor bought a c63 and I had to listen to the v8 gurgle every day and realized how pathetic my v6 RS5 sounded and sold it and got the raptor instead. I’m not a big v8 fan and never dismissed the gen2 for having a v6 as there was nothing comparable to it in the market. But more than the v8, the sound of the Hellcat blower is intoxicating, and makes you feel connected to the truck. I’m not making the Rs5 mistake again. But that’s me. Obviously not everyone thinks the same and that’s why so many bought the vacuum blower m4 over c63 but Atleast both of these were close in street performance where trx and the raptor don’t even belong to the same league. Everyone here talks about raptor R and how great that’s going to be which I have bo doubt that will be the case. How much do you think the gas mileage will be? The base raptor with 37s is 16 on highway and already is a 6k pound truck. so there is no way it would be better than the trx.
would the base raptor guys say no to raptor R if that was available at the same price point because the base raptor meets their need and how much better gas mileage it gets or would they jump ship without hesitation? If it’s the latter I don’t see how that doesn’t apply to the trx arguement unless there is fan boy logic involved.

the other point I’d like to make is that Atleast 80 percent of trx owners were previous raptor owners myself included. Can someone explain why that is the case?
Could it really be that gen3 is sooo close to gen2 in every measurable and unmeasurable aspects that gen2 guys decided to try something completely different? Can we agree that Ford completely dropped the ball here by not only not changing the drivetrain , but also. Not giving it a power bump so the gen 2 guys have a shred of reason to stay around or “upgrade”?
when was the last new model of any car as popular as the raptor that chose the same exact drivetrain for the next generation?
All good points that seem to work for you and your experience. I won't say I disagree with anything because I understand your logic.

I'm not coming from a Gen2 though. This is my first Raptor. I'm actually coming from an F250 SD.

That being said, I have a 1000hp GTR so I'm not spending the extra $$ and operational costs for a FAT rebel looking truck with a Trackhawk powertrain when I can get everything I want in a gen3. Obviously this is a to each their own situation.

Teghogh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good points that seem to work for you and your experience. I won't say I disagree with anything because I understand your logic.

I'm not coming from a Gen2 though. This is my first Raptor. I'm actually coming from an F250 SD.

That being said, I have a 1000hp GTR so I'm not spending the extra $$ and operational costs for a FAT rebel looking truck with a Trackhawk powertrain when I can get everything I want in a gen3. Obviously this is a to each their own situation.

Completely agree. For a first time raptor buyer that makes sense.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a former tundra owner who is inbetween trucks, I’ll give my two cents on why I’m going raptor over TRX. I’ve researched both extensively.

I’m not a hardcore off-roader like rock crawling and such. I like to have fun in desert environments here in Phx and drive 2 hours north to the pine trees and explore. My kids are in the camping age now so that’s going to be a regular occurrence.

after looking at the raptor and the TRX, I literally can’t even look at trucks like the rebel or 150 tremor. And I’m not optimistic Toyota will bring it with their new tundra coming out. I drive my trucks about 5500 miles/year. They aren’t used as ‘daily drivers’.
Things I like about the Raptor:
1.Reputation- been out for 11 years or so
2. Gas mileage in comparison to other trucks in this segment
3. Looks. I like the look of the Gen 3
4. Options. I’ve come to learn that the domestics get a lot right in their trucks over Toyota. Generator on board all the drive modes. Lockers. Things like that.
5. literally would only need to add a lightbar and nothing else. Ready to roll from the showroom for my needs
6. Exhaust. I’m in the minority, but I’m not infatuated with how my trucks sound. Don’t get me wrong I don’t want it sounding like our Sienna, but think it’s Badass I can throw it in quiet mode when I’m on the highway and get rid of drone or rip it in Baja mode.
7. off-road capability. Let’s face it. That Fox 3 system is probably more suspension than I’ll ever need. And I’m perfectly ok with that!
8. The drivetrain not changing- one of the reasons I’m ok with going with a first or second year new Gen is the fact that the drivetrain is the same and most kinks are gone. (Still would’ve loved 30-50 more HP though).

I’ll just list why I decided against the TRX:
1. Gas mileage. I’m seeing 8-9 for most people. Screw that. I’m 43. Don’t care about 0-60 times….
2. Insurance costs. I’m hearing $225-$250/month for insurance. Ouch
3. Width. This sucker is 8 inches wider than a standard Ram. That makes parking and my garage a problem.
4. Reliability. There’s literally a long *** spreadsheet on the TRX forums for people to check when they deliver their trucks. Doesn’t instill confidence in me.
So yeah. I’m about 6-8 months from being ready to order a Raptor. I’m stoked and can’t wait for some adventures in it. This forum is great and I’ve leaned a ton from you guys in a short amount of time. And look forward to the incoming pictures over the next couple months.

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Breaking it down into real terms, that actual owners can tell a difference.

5 link suspension. Probably notice a difference going around corners with less bed hop
New fox's No one is going to notice that ****
37's I think this is more for show than practical application
Another inch or two on suspension. Alright, but most don't need what it already has.
approach, departure, blah blah. eh I guess thats cool.
Better exhaust. The v6 sounds like dog ****. Always will.
The interior of the trx and new F150 is matched at best, ram did that awesome.
and yeah, that blue interior is horrible on every level. rather have a shag carpet dash

I love the competition between makers. Everyone can pick their flavor, but both trucks are pretty sweet
Once it’s pointed out you all the sudden change your tune and say. “Well nobody needs all that. It’s just for show.” SMH