Doug Demuro Gen3 Review.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorbegone

Reaction score
You guys are funny. Around and around about which truck is better. Ain't no such thing. There are only trucks that fit your needs, wants, and usage better. And that's individual. Maybe you could change it up and argue about what gun is best, or which woman is prettiest, or what's the best pizza style or toppings, or ice cream flavor. It would be the same argument, but the change of topic would at least bring some variety ...
I can roll with this

1. HK, Sig, glock, colt, S&W
2. Any ***** that puts out
3. new york style
4. peanut butter chocolate

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No doubt about this. If could only have 1 truck for the next 20 years it would be a Tuundra. Not because I like it the most but given it’s track record it should be the most reliable and give me the most trouble free miles.
My first truck is my Tundra, had this beast for 10 years and never once gave me even a hiccup. 5.7L going strong 110,000 miles now. I will miss her but she's ancient when it comes to tech like everyone mentioned. I have bench seats and a column shifter :D it's going to be quite the upgrade when the Gen3 shows up

leinad1904

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a long time Raptor owner, so I love the Raptor and the brand. At first I was totally in disgust with the TRX and in NO WAY did I like it.. and in no way would I consider one over a 2021+ Raptor! I've always thought the Rebel was ugly and I'm somewhat of a Ford loyalist also. Ram? No way!! lol!

I went through hell trying to order my '21 Raptor and the dealers I called all were less than cool about making me a fair deal. I did manage to get an MSRP deal on a 35" eventually and after a lot of pain, but I am in the "unscheduled" group so it's been a frustrating process.

As I've seen my promised build schedule date go down the tubes, I started to look at the TRX for ***** and giggles as I pretty much wrote it off.. mainly because I had some brand loyalty and everything about the Raptor. After watching some youtube videos and visiting a local dealership that had a few TRX's on the lot (with markups), I discovered a few things-

The TRX DOES NOT look like the Rebel to me.. I thought it did, but it was only because I wasn't paying much attention to the TRX. To me, the TRX looks 100% better... mainly, the front grill which I had always thought was ugly on the Rebel is cleaner and smoother. Also, the wider body and overall look has left me liking it now that I got the "raptor fan boy" thing out of the way. There, I admitted it. :).

The interior is far superior in the TRX, less plastics, and just has a $80K truck feel to it... while I haven't seen the new Raptor interior in person, I have seen a few 2021 Limiteds and Platinums and the exposed plastic areas are the same or very similiar.. and it just looks and feels cheap in comparison. Could I live with the new Raptors interior? Yes. But I'd rather have the TRX interior in the Raptor if I'm being honest. Also, there are other nice additions, such as heated and vented rear seats.

The motor sounds in the TRX do matter to me over the sounds of the 3.5L! The supercharger whine is addictive and very pleasing, and the hellcat motor puts out a beautiful sound. Keep in mind I am coming from a Gen1 Roush supercharged Raptor and not a Gen2 here.

That being said, I am NOT cancelling my Raptor order and I'm going to see how everything plays out. I really want a Raptor "R", but my dealers are telling me I'll be paying $20K over if I want one... and if that's the case, I'm out! I still believe the "R" should have been the base '21+ raptor motor.

What are my pros for the Raptor, to be fair?

-better gas mileage
-quieter on trips- adjustable exhaust valves.. loud or quiet when I want it
-Onboard generator (I like to camp and will use this)
-I like the rear step way better on the Ford
-360 lighting
-full digital dash

Long winded here, but I feel like I needed to add my $0.02 and honest feelings on this subject.

While I understand the TRX hate on this forum, I think some of it is just brand hate and hate against the competition. If you look how many years it took for any of the major manufactures to bring something competitive against the raptor (10+ years) I think the TRX offering is a formidable competitor if not a superior competitor in some regards... with the wildcard being the extreme off-road segment where I do believe the new Raptor is better in stock form. But it's early in the TRX's life and we'll be seeing the aftermarket make it interesting.
I love my Raptor and I can't wait for mine to get built/delivered to me! But the TRX does look pretty nice in my opinion. I just don't want to spend $89k...i'm just not at that income level but i'm also not going to drive something without all the fancy sh*t.

triggerfish

Reaction score
I love my Raptor and I can't wait for mine to get built/delivered to me! But the TRX does look pretty nice in my opinion. I just don't want to spend $89k...i'm just not at that income level but i'm also not going to drive something without all the fancy sh*t.
Well, the Raptor I built out came out to $80,010, and when I build out a TRX the way I'd want it I'm at $84,000. Considering I'm getting a better interior and 700+HP motor, I'd say that the difference is negligible. Also, there's a few TRX dealers that you can order from and get $5500 or $5000 off. So I'd actually be saving money on the TRX.

As far as availability, Ram has made over 15,000 units in 2021 also, and I've had no problem finding an in-stock trx at msrp here and there. The only thing I could find on ordered units on Raptors coming in (looked since my raptor order is unscheduled) is $10k over, so $90K.

leinad1904

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the Raptor I built out came out to $80,010, and when I build out a TRX the way I'd want it I'm at $84,000. Considering I'm getting a better interior and 700+HP motor, I'd say that the difference is negligible. Also, there's a few TRX dealers that you can order from and get $5500 or $5000 off. So I'd actually be saving money on the TRX.

As far as availability, Ram has made over 15,000 units in 2021 also, and I've had no problem finding an in-stock trx at msrp here and there. The only thing I could find on ordered units on Raptors coming in (looked since my raptor order is unscheduled) is $10k over, so $90K.
My Gen3 after taxes is coming somewhere around $77k. I didn't go with the beadlocks, sunroof, or power tech package (or whatever the one is with the power outlets in the bed).

I've never actually looked at the TRX at any dealer yet, I didn't know some were around for ~$5k off!

Raptorbegone

Reaction score
Friends don't let friends buy S&W. They sold out, big time. Pre-lock revolver? Sure, but I won't buy new.
Sold out? I don't get the reference, but ok.

My point was buying brand name quality firearms. And like them or hate them S&W generally makes good stuff. you know, not kel tec.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sold out? I don't get the reference, but ok.
Maybe you're too young to remember, but back in the Clinton years, Smith cut a deal with the government where they would put locks on their guns in return for immunity from prosecution. Basically, they threw their users and the rest of the gun industry under the bus for their own advantage. IIRC, people got mad and sales dropped by about half and they sold S&W to another big holding company. But their revolvers still have locks. Look on the left side forward of the hammer. There are too many great guns made in the USA to buy from a company that's trading on a name and a reputation that is no longer earned.