Doug Demuro Gen3 Review.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have seen a couple of reviews now, that definitely reinforce the pros and cons to a 35 or 37 truck. The 37 truck for pure off road has the advantage in most cases. But offline acceleration and range goes to the 35” truck. Highway range you will lose 2mpg they are saying. Things to think about. But larger tire, taller truck cred at the mall is surely a 37 way to go. Performance in different ways is real and so is looks in that matter.

I think most people can't visually tell the difference between 35 and 37 on sight. My neighbor put on 37s recently, and I never would have known till he told me. I didn't notice when he took them off either due to rubbing issues. People won't know you have 37s unless you tell them. And if you tell them, or voluntarily put a sticker that says "These are 37s" on your bedside, you lose your cred. So what's the solution?

Factory 37s. You aren't bragging because Ford put the 37 stickers on the truck, not you.

Mostly said in jest, but kinda true.

More seriously though, besides other reasons provided, factory 37s are going to help the resale value, particularly if still under warranty. Afternarket parts are notorious for being worthless in resale value, sometimes even lower the value rather than staying neutral. Maybe 37s in aftermarket may hold a bit more value, but factory will definitely add value.

That said though, if you put 37s on yourself, you can take them off when you sell, or just want to go with 35s. You can't do that with the 37 package. You're committed.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He had a fair point about Ford having a competitive advantage over Ram next year.

Ford will have the HO and the 5.2 Shelby to choose from. Their product planning need to smarten up and de-couple the 37 inch tire package from the useless recaro seat option.

However, Ram can also add 37s next year, and they could also stuff their 6.4L in the TRX to make it the same "price category" as the HO version of the raptor.

But, Ima be honest. The 37 package adds too much cost to the price where it is almost competing with the TRX, 5k cheaper. That should not be the case. The way the options are specced right now, the 37 performance package adds too much to cost and shouldnt be like this. 5k more you get the TRX... That's why my truck is 800A with the 35's.

No matter Ford or Ram, the Supercharged variant of the truck is in a different category.
I just wish you could get the rims that come on the 37 package. Or ditch the blue interior if I went 37. Cmon Ford! Gimme options!

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think most people can't visually tell the difference between 35 and 37 on sight. My neighbor put on 37s recently, and I never would have known till he told me. I didn't notice when he took them off either due to rubbing issues. People won't know you have 37s unless you tell them. And if you tell them, or voluntarily put a sticker that says "These are 37s" on your bedside, you lose your cred. So what's the solution?

Factory 37s. You aren't bragging because Ford put the 37 stickers on the truck, not you.

Mostly said in jest, but kinda true.

More seriously though, besides other reasons provided, factory 37s are going to help the resale value, particularly if still under warranty. Afternarket parts are notorious for being worthless in resale value, sometimes even lower the value rather than staying neutral. Maybe 37s in aftermarket may hold a bit more value, but factory will definitely add value.

That said though, if you put 37s on yourself, you can take them off when you sell, or just want to go with 35s. You can't do that with the 37 package. You're committed.
True that you have to take a double check or stare down a 37 truck to verify it’s on 37’s. And I am talking about the Gen 3 as the KO2’s don’t appear to be that much taller, rather fuller under the wheel well. Side by side next to a 35 it would be easier to see the difference. Truth is you have to really want the taller tire and that extra inch of clearance to give up range and offline acceleration. That was always a down side to adding 37’s on a Gen 2, along with full use of the truck. But you get proper shock valving and spare tire storage if you do go this route. Would most know the difference? Probably not.

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry but have to disagree, and here's why. Adding 37's to a Gen 2 with just a collar in the front will destroy your front fenders...if you use the truck how it's meant to be used. It's well documented and i've seen it firsthand. For street driving sure but offroad with just a level you're asking for trouble.

What people are excited about and willing to pay extra for are 37s with a warranty. So if you rub or do something unusual well go to your friendly dealer and get it repaired.
Exactly. Everyone always says how much cheaper they can do it themselves but often overlook the little things. Ford had to change the shocks on the 37 over the 35 to make it work correctly along with steering and bump stop changes. The 37 package is probably overpriced and ford had been price gouging in recent years. No doubt the 37 package will hold its value over time and even more so then someone slapping 37s on a 35 truck and hoping it works.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He says the quiet part out loud...not sure there's enough here to move the needle from a well-kept Gen2.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He says the quiet part out loud...not sure there's enough here to move the needle from a well-kept Gen2.

While I agree and won't be trading in my Gen 2 anytime soon, Ford isn't going to have any problem selling these.

Raptorbegone

Reaction score
Right, because every time I see a TRX out on the street, there's always a Rebel right next to it.

This is the point. The difference are mild enough that if you don't have both right next to each other and/or are firmly aware of the differences, you won't tell them apart.
no you are right.

The different hood, marker lights, bulging front and rear quarter panels, bigger tires, decals, etc make it really hard to tell a trx on the street

Raptorbegone

Reaction score
I love when people make this comment, yet the evolution you are talking about is esthetics. The Gen 3 has way more upgrades over the Gen 2 than the Gen 2 had over the Gen 1 as far as performance is concerned. The only one it didn’t get was the small engine bump like the Gen 2 did.

Glad you love it. I'm here to please you.

Now I'm curious about all the numerous upgrades the new gen 3 has?

And yeah, the look of it, since I already have one, does nothing to make me want to change at all.

But hey, fanboys are everywhere, and they are out for the gen 3 too.

Instead of being happy that a competitor built a bad *** truck (TRX) there is senseless whining and talking about how it sucks.

How about talk about how ANY god d-a-mn truck with those features is pretty bad ***. And how hopefully that will drive more innovation to the other auto makers.

I can't wait for toyota to release a tundra competitor and same with chevy. Because I just like kick a-s-s trucks. No matter who made it.

Raptorbegone

Reaction score
Exactly. And that's sort of a given considering that designers/engineers need to use a lot of 'base' parts from the main truck line in order to control costs.

Although I really don't think we will see that many Rams putting lights in the scoop.
probably because it's a totally different hood