DIY Flag pole

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Wilson

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so my reason for wanting to paint it black is for POW MIA sticker or some sort I'll have to try and find one. Or have it tattooed on the pole.

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
We never had flag duty at school, but the flag came down in the rain and at night. I'm betting it was probably a hand full of teachers/janitors that made it their responsibility or even better would have been if it was the tradition from days gone by.. Sadly though, school never taught us any flag etiquette. I got that from another organization. Joe and I will definitely be teaching it to our children some day.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My flags stay up in rain. Men fight under them in adverse weather; I can replace it when it shows weathering.

My flag pole always proudly flies this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368120776.021710.jpg

Or this (my ancestors fought under both flags)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368120791.886245.jpg

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Doc, I see your logic, but I disagree with you. The flag should be brought in at night (unless properly lighted) and in inclement weather. That's just rendering proper respect to the flag and what it stands for in my opinion. In the military I was on flag detail during my training and I will always remember the tremendous amount of pride we took taking the flag from its display case in the schoolhouse and raising it and then lowering it and putting it back units case for the night.

HOWEVER, I respect your patriotism and support of our troops.

I need to do this mod to my truck so I can fly my flag on special occasions. Way to go Wilson

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Caveat to my post - my flagpole is illuminated.

And I like the idea of this thread a lot - gonna have to get or rig one of these up myself.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could simply put "we will never forget" on the side of the pole... Just a thought.. When I was in school we had flags and it was the students that were lucky enough to get chosen to put and bring down the flag daily... Each week the 4 outstanding students of the weeks names were drawn for a had to do it for one week... Your shift started Monday after school and went to the following Monday right before school started... Made us think about the flag, of course we did the daily pledge of allegiance... Cant do that anymore... My Texas flag is really for my Great Grandfather as him and his brother fought in the civil war for Texas... and suffered greatly after the war at the hands of the union army. At one point my Grandfather shot and killed a Yankee sergeant because of a fight in the saloon... He ran and that's how come I am here... Later at trial found acquitted and was determined self defense.
One flag today and one nation under god.. but to each his own..

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was one of the excuses that the principle at my daughter's school used for leaving the flag up all the time, the fact that the flag pole is a "Lighted Poll". According to the "Law", if the pole is illuminated then the flag doesn't HAVE to come down. No one apparently told them that illuminated should mean that you could actually SEE the flag at night.

Either way, flying the confederate battle flag or any version of it or other flags is different in my opinion. But showing proper respect for and properly maintaining the US flag to me is a duty and should be taught in every single school in the country. In other words, I say WELL DONE to the veteran in the video below...

Vet cuts down Illegal Mexican flag flying above U.S. Flag - YouTube

Evanscott29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I brushed up on my flag knowledge when doing a colors detail the flag may be flown in inclement weather when it is a polyester flag. the cloth flags are the ones that are not permitted to fly in inclement weather. The other one was already properly alluded to above that a flag may be flown after dusk and before dawn as long as it is properly lit.

As far as tears are concerned, it kills me to everytime I drive by a dealership that has an enormous flag that is very tattered. We used to go and tell them that they needed to change their flag and then take the old flags off their hands and do a proper burn of the flags.