GEN 1 Pinion Bearings - DIY or Hire Out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

votive

Reaction score
My Raptor has had a loud hum/howl going on for a few weeks now. Took it into the dealer today to get it diagnosed and they suspect the pinion bearings have gone out. They drained the rear end and found glitter in the fluid.

The dealer quoted me $2600 to replace. I found a local shop that quoted me $1150 which I don't think is too bad.

Question is, is this a job I could tackle myself? I consider myself to have a good amount of experience for a backyard mechanic. I've done engine rebuilds, transmission swaps, even an auto to manual swap, but I've never messed with gears. I've read that it is better to leave to a shop due to the tolerances and special tools required on differentials. One thing I am worried about is not seeing gear damage that a professional would. Tools-wise I think the biggest thing I am missing is a press but $200 is a lot cheaper than $1200.

What's the consensus? Has anyone done this job?

2014 Gen 1 - 120k miles

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not done the job...but had it done 2 years ago by my trusted local shop...and it cost me $1200 out the door,labor,parts,tax..so your quote is on the money......
So my consensus.....it was just something I didnt feel comfortable doing myself and I know my way around a toolbox...The kit was $500 + small misc stuff....and labor was $600 and didnt feel it was worth saving $600 and if I botched it,losing a $500 parts kit.
Bottom line...how tight is $ for you....?
Good luck whichever way you go.!

Last edited:

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
I would take it to the shop that quoted you $1150, dealers are so overpriced. There's no guarantee the dealer will do the job right from my experiences with them, they would be my last resort for anything needing done on my Raptor.

OP
OP
votive

votive

Reaction score
Have not done the job...but had it done 2 years ago by my trusted local shop...and it cost me $1200 out the door,labor,parts,tax..so your quote is on the money......
So my consensus.....it was just something I felt comfortable doing myself and I know my way around a toolbox...The kit was $500 + small misc stuff....and labor was $600 and didnt feel it was worth saving $600 and if I botched it,losing a $500 parts kit.
Bottom line...how tight is $ for you....?
Good luck whichever way you go.!

Money isn't too much of an issue on this job, it's more that I enjoy mechanic work and learning something new which is why I am considering giving it a shot. We've also got 2 other cars so if it sits for a month while I figure things out, so be it.

I'm in the same mindset that you brought up though. Sounds like it is an easy job to mess up and it would suck to put all that time and money in to have it explode immediately. Not to mention a hurt ego after the fact :Big Laugh:

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL... Well...... This is where I am also, with the exception. I need All new stuff. Ring, Pinion, E locker, all the bearings.so might as well do the outer axel bearings and seals. I am going to do it my self (I think) because I am the only one I trust. LOL There is some good info out there. I been tracking down parts most of the day.

Last edited:

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Money isn't too much of an issue on this job, it's more that I enjoy mechanic work and learning something new which is why I am considering giving it a shot. We've also got 2 other cars so if it sits for a month while I figure things out, so be it.

I'm in the same mindset that you brought up though. Sounds like it is an easy job to mess up and it would suck to put all that time and money in to have it explode immediately. Not to mention a hurt ego after the fact :Big Laugh:
Hope others caught it..:eek:.I made a typo in 1st reply ".it was just something I felt comfortable doing myself"
Was suppose to say "it was something I DIDNT feel comfortable doing myself"....so went and fixed that Senior moment I had...
:33:

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hope others caught it..:eek:.I made a typo in 1st reply ".it was just something I felt comfortable doing myself"
Was suppose to say "it was something I DIDNT feel comfortable doing myself"....so went and fixed that Senior moment I had...
I had to read it three times so shame on you for the next 30 minutes.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score

So... that is completely different. LOL. I don't think it is that hard. I think it will take willingness to take it apart and put it back together several times to get it correct.

OP
OP
votive

votive

Reaction score
So I decided to just have the shop do it. After adding up the cost of parts, fluids, and tools that I'll only use once it came within $300 of what the shop quoted me. I figured $300 was worth the piece of mind of having it done right. It goes in on Monday.