Big project/fix planned for this week

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davez134

Reaction score
Sorry for the lengthy post..Last November I replaced my turbos with the Garrett Powermax turbos from Full Race. 1-because my truck hit 100k and ESP was up, and 2- because I was hearing a rattle sound from the driver's side turbo (or so I thought). I got a new long block under warranty at 82k and a new transmission at 90K. Well aside from a couple small emission issues that I figured out the truck has been running strong. Over the past few months it would go into limp mode and thgrow the wrench light at what seemed to be random intervals. I would turn the truck off, restart and all would be good. This started to become more frequent over the last month. I have been trying my best to figure it out. I have a scanner (not just a code reader) and wasnt throwing any codes, powertrain or transmission. I did a full tune up since truck has 100k on it. Plugs/coils, throttle body, got new MAP and IAT sensors. The rattle sound was still there, even after replacing the turbos, thought maybe IWE but no vacuum leaks in the system anywhere.

Well 2 weeks ago I finally got a pending code when the wrench light came on. P0299 underboost. Looked at all clamps, tight. BOV seal doesn't have any tears, intercooler is solid, no damage, holds pressure when tested off the truck. I found pretty bad exhaust leak from the manifolds at the rear on both sides with studs missing/snapped off. I feel stupid because when I looked at the pictures I took when I did the turbos, the stud was missing then. I just never thought to look for that! Watching videos of exhaust leaks, thats what the sound is and I'm pretty sure its contributing to the underboost code. I am seeing dips in boost pressure under partial throttle at freeway speeds when capturing data with me scanner. I'm guessing it happened shortly after they put the slightly warped manifolds back on my new long block?

Anyway, time to upgrade! I got the Formline manifolds with new gaskets and Inconel studs from Full Race. Got the Turbosmart BOV to see if I like it, if not its a 15 minute swap back to stock. All new orings and gaskets for the oil/coolant lines. I will post some pictures of the process as soon as I get going. Luckily it looks like only 2 studs are gone at the rear of both sides and I can easily get my mig welder in there to extract them. Planning on starting tomorrow.

Picture I took right after removing stock turbo with exhaust stud snapped/gone. the lower one is gone now too.IMG_1559.jpg

Last edited:

noorj

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing & interested to see how the swap goes for you! What tune were you/are planning to run with the powermax turbos? Any fueling upgrades?

vk35

Reaction score
Can I ask how you got the long block and tranny replaced under ESP? Was the long block replaced due to rattle? What about transmission? Was it slipping?

OP
OP
D

Davez134

Reaction score
Can I ask how you got the long block and tranny replaced under ESP? Was the long block replaced due to rattle? What about transmission? Was it slipping?
I took the truck in for the cam phaser recall, and the dealer fu*ked something up. I got a call from the service advisor and they said the bad news is they broke some bolt on my motor (didnt ask for details because of the next part) but the good news is they applied to Ford to replace the long block and it was approved.

The trans started slipping at 90k. They rebuilt it, still had issues so it was replaced.

OP
OP
D

Davez134

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing & interested to see how the swap goes for you! What tune were you/are planning to run with the powermax turbos? Any fueling upgrades?
I am using a 91 octane tune from 5star Tuning. I'm very happy with it. I told them i wanted a conservative tune because it is my daily driver. I'm not trying to max the truck out. I did not do any fuel system upgrades. It's hot as shit out here in Vegas and I don't want to push it.

The swap should go fairly easy. I've already done the turbos, so I know what's involved there. Unless theres some unforseen issue with the manifolds, it should only take me a couple days. Maybe 3 if I take my time. I've learned, as I've got older, to stop when I get frustrated and come back later.

OP
OP
D

Davez134

Reaction score
Got the driver's side all buttoned up, not too bad. Manifolds just look good!
IMG_2291.jpg
IMG_2293.jpg
Moved onto the passenger side. Little more of a PITA. Had to remove starter, and less room to get the front studs out of the head. Leak did not appear to be as bad as the driver's side. I had 4 snapped off in total. Welder did the trick easily on all 4.
IMG_2287.jpg
IMG_2294.jpg
IMG_2295.jpg

Last edited:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Got the driver's side all buttoned up, not too bad. Manifolds just look good!
View attachment 460101
View attachment 460102
Moved onto the passenger side. Little more of a PITA. Had to remove starter, and less room to get the front studs out of the head. Leak did not appear to be as bad as the driver's side. I had 4 snapped off in total. Welder did the trick easily on all 4.
View attachment 460100
View attachment 460103
View attachment 460104
Your hands are too clean. I'm not buying it.