Are you "happy" with the 5.4L?

Are you "happy" with the 5.4L?

• Yes

Votes: 35 89.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is for owners only. Are you "happy" with your 5.4L? If yes, why? If no, why not?

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am happy with the 5.4L. As of right now, this truck is capable of far more than I am. I have yet to reach the point in my offroad driving skill where I've found myself wishing for more power and/or torque.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I'm happy with the 5.4...but I could always use more power!! Maybe a 2012? 6.2 or whatever the new engine is.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The first 6.2's will be here soon... I still have doubts that the "Raptor tune" 6.2 will better the torque of the 5.4 at rpms below 3500... which is the rpm range where I spend most of my time.

That said, more power is usually a good thing. I just want to see what the low end torque of the 6.2 is like... hopefully Ford didn't sacrifice too much to get the impressive peak numbers of the 6.2.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have it in the back of my mind to organize an event... I'm thinking we meet at a shop with a dyno and run a 5.4 and 6.2 Raptor and overlay the horsepower and torque curves. Same day, same hour, same weather, same dyno, same operator. Eliminate as many variables as we can, and just see what we see.

(PS: I'm kinda known in the LX community for doing just this (300s, Magnums, Chargers). I've held half a dozen multi-day events as SVS R&D in Sacramento CA where we've tested mods of various descriptions in exactly the way I outline above. I try to control as many variables as possible, so we end up with as true to life comparisons as we can. Just a matter of time till we do something like that with the Raptor :))

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most owners say they like/love what they have.

That said, I'm quite happy with the 5.4 motor in this truck. And I certainly would be happy if I could buy more power (reliable, affordable) especially if it comes with a Ford bowtie on it (meaning no affect on my warranty!).

What I find funny is that these discussions wouldn't be as popular if Ford didn't have the 6.2 coming out. Sure people would want more power (always the case) but if there were no 6.2 motor this wouldn't be as popular a discussion.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Happy as can be with the 5.4L still would like a supercharger sometime in the next year or so.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have it in the back of my mind to organize an event... I'm thinking we meet at a shop with a dyno and run a 5.4 and 6.2 Raptor and overlay the horsepower and torque curves. Same day, same hour, same weather, same dyno, same operator. Eliminate as many variables as we can, and just see what we see.

(PS: I'm kinda known in the LX community for doing just this (300s, Magnums, Chargers). I've held half a dozen multi-day events as SVS R&D in Sacramento CA where we've tested mods of various descriptions in exactly the way I outline above. I try to control as many variables as possible, so we end up with as true to life comparisons as we can. Just a matter of time till we do something like that with the Raptor :))

Great idea! I can't think of a better way to find out the truth! This might be a little off-topic but I hear so much about how "+1" wheels or whatever will "reduce the horsepower" of a vehicle. This means the dyno they are using must affected greatly by the inertia of the rotating mass of the wheel. That's really nice to know because it means the one set of wheels will result in slower acceleration... but it's also very misleading. The weight of the wheels/tires does not change the brake horsepower of the engine!

Do they have chassis dynos these days that actually measure brake horsepower? Or do they measure the acceleration with a certain load and then calculate horsepower from the results?

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am happy with the 5.4L for a couple of reasons.......I have no need for more power than it provides. I ride a snowmobile that wieghs 468 lbs. dry and is rated at 151 hp. This can and will get a person in trouble quicker than a blink of an eye. The 5.4L provides more than enough for me to "get in trouble". I have worked on these engines daily for the last 8 yrs and can tell you that they are nearly bullet proof! The reliablility of this engine is phenominal. Obviously, I can't speak for the 6.2L as it is not out yet. I hope the same reliability is true for it as well. Well, that's my .02

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have worked on these engines daily for the last 8 yrs and can tell you that they are nearly bullet proof! The reliablility of this engine is phenominal.
You know, everything else aside, that quote alone would be enough to sell me on the 5.4.

Thanks for the insight FS. I look forward to your thoughts on the 6.2 once you've got your hand on it.