GEN 2 Are my leaf springs shot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickysnickers

Reaction score
Curious, if one were to just replace the rear springs with Deaver springs, just the 1" lift, would anything else need to be swapped out, and is the ride quality improved that much? This isn't intended as a thread jack, just wanting to add more info to this thread.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Curious, if one were to just replace the rear springs with Deaver springs, just the 1" lift, would anything else need to be swapped out, and is the ride quality improved that much? This isn't intended as a thread jack, just wanting to add more info to this thread.
Losing the block makes a difference. It gets rid of that squirrelly sideways hop when you hit a bump on a curve. That said, I haven't done mine. After four years, it leveled itself, so it's time. But I'm planning to upgrade in '25, so I'm thinking I'll let the next owner deal with springs and shocks. If I was planning to keep mine, I'd be torn between +3 and +3HD with the stock front springs. But I don't mind rake and detest sag. YMMV

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't clear, 1" lift would be the Deaver +3 springs and you would need to add bump strike plates. Now for the type of Deaver spring. You have a choice of SD or HD.

SD is around if not the same spring rate as stock. However, Deavers use more leafs for a more progressive spring. People say (I don't know, I have HDs) that they ride SMOOTHER than stock.

HD is supposed to give you an extra 450 lbs of weight capacity over OE. So of course they are a "stiffer" spring rate than stock. However, those are also thinner 11 leaf and more progressive vs. the thicker 4 leaf OE springs. So many don't notice the difference in ride. Some DO.

Van7X

Reaction score
I’m dead level with +2 HDs and OE front springs.
Curious, how's the ride with that setup? Primarily... does the rear feel significantly more stiff than the stock front? I don't mind a little stiffer ride but I don't want the truck to feel unbalanced if that makes any sense (I had this problem on my previous truck and trying not to repeat mistakes).

rngrjcw275

Reaction score
I think not exactly, they were made to satisfy a type of demand which is unfortunately most of raptor's custommer . To Leave dealership lot and ride in comfort with new truck empty bed, and it still work great for those who use it as a queenstreet going to starbuck with 2 or 3 bags of groceries in the bed...
But, of course when you load or do some offroad (or both), these OEM leaf spring become quicly garbage , and aftermarket parts is the solution depending of your use. That's Raptor world !
I added air bags to mine when I was towing my boat back down to Louisiana and noticed how squat I was. Since I had put in the ARB to air up and down, these seemed to the logical upgrade. Since I’ve put about 60k miles on my truck in a year and a couple months (about to hit 100k), some of the components are breaking down, leafs being one. The airbags riding at around 20lbs have been a life savior till replaced.

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Losing the block makes a difference. It gets rid of that squirrelly sideways hop when you hit a bump on a curve. That said, I haven't done mine. After four years, it leveled itself, so it's time. But I'm planning to upgrade in '25, so I'm thinking I'll let the next owner deal with springs and shocks. If I was planning to keep mine, I'd be torn between +3 and +3HD with the stock front springs. But I don't mind rake and detest sag. YMMV
Ok GordoJay, you're the FIRST to describe that benefit; the Raptor sideways hop cured by Deavers?! I've got a stock sprung Gen 1 and know my springs are old like the OP, and I've done that Raptor hop and been real concerned if I was turning hard and on the throttle the truck could snap oversteer on pavement, could it? I'm sure it could swap ends on dirt like that. I've had lots of trucks and none have hopped like that so I'd really like to fix that.

It's really the springs? Anyone else cure their Raptor sideways hop with Deavers? I was so wondering if it was my worn out shocks, BFG A/T KO's, or what???

McDaddy0502

Reaction score
Getting rid of that sideways hop is exactly the "excuse" I mean reason to upgrade to Deavers .. thank you for helping me spend more money

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok GordoJay, you're the FIRST to describe that benefit; the Raptor sideways hop cured by Deavers?! I've got a stock sprung Gen 1 and know my springs are old like the OP, and I've done that Raptor hop and been real concerned if I was turning hard and on the throttle the truck could snap oversteer on pavement, could it? I'm sure it could swap ends on dirt like that. I've had lots of trucks and none have hopped like that so I'd really like to fix that.

It's really the springs? Anyone else cure their Raptor sideways hop with Deavers? I was so wondering if it was my worn out shocks, BFG A/T KO's, or what???
Lowering tire pressure helps a lot. When I first got my 2020, the hop drove me crazy. Now that I'm running 32psi all around, I don't notice it very often. I only air up when I load up to gvwr, then I go to 38psi and don't notice the hop that often. Stock tires. If you choose a tire with a stiffer sidewall, you might not be able to reduce the hop that way. To answer the question at the end - It's not the springs per se, but the block. It's one of the reasons that lifting a Raptor with a cheap lift kit is sofa king stupid.

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lowering tire pressure helps a lot. When I first got my 2020, the hop drove me crazy. Now that I'm running 32psi all around, I don't notice it very often. I only air up when I load up to gvwr, then I go to 38psi and don't notice the hop that often. Stock tires. If you choose a tire with a stiffer sidewall, you might not be able to reduce the hop that way. To answer the question at the end - It's not the springs per se, but the block. It's one of the reasons that lifting a Raptor with a cheap lift kit is sofa king stupid.
I'll have to try lowering my air pressures. I jacked 'em up cuz I like my tires firm like my women :p !! JK. When I bought my truck last year my tires were worn on both outside edges, and the tire pressure was 27 lbs! I went up over 40, 44 to wear the centers back down so that could be a little of the funny sidekick hop :) !!

I gotcha on the block, it adds leverage for the axle to wrap the spring, hop, etc. That's what's great about the Deaver, deleting the block.