Anyone running a battery tender on their 3rd Gen? This has been my SOP with every vehicle I've ever owned.... but now i'm not so sure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IceStationZ

Reaction score
I've used a CTEK 4.3amp tender with every vehicle i've owned for the last 15 years or so. This includes everything from ATV's, to collector cars, to my daily drivers, etc. My standard practice is to just connect a CTEK pigtail (quick connector) to the positive and negative battery posts.... and then plug in the CTEK tender to the pigtail when the vehicle is not being used.

I just finished setting this up on my new to me '23 and decided to do some quick internet searches for any tips or tricks specific to this practice on the Raptor. What I think i'm hearing is that the negative connection to the battery needs to be downstream of the BMS (Ford battery sensor). I can't quite figure out why, nor can I figure out the horrible things that will happen if I don't do it this way.

Can anyone shed any light on this based on personal experience?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've used a CTEK 4.3amp tender with every vehicle i've owned for the last 15 years or so. This includes everything from ATV's, to collector cars, to my daily drivers, etc. My standard practice is to just connect a CTEK pigtail (quick connector) to the positive and negative battery posts.... and then plug in the CTEK tender to the pigtail when the vehicle is not being used.

I just finished setting this up on my new to me '23 and decided to do some quick internet searches for any tips or tricks specific to this practice on the Raptor. What I think i'm hearing is that the negative connection to the battery needs to be downstream of the BMS (Ford battery sensor). I can't quite figure out why, nor can I figure out the horrible things that will happen if I don't do it this way.

Can anyone shed any light on this based on personal experience?
Part of battery management is measuring the state of charge. Then they can prevent over charging, under charging, and over discharging. Computer controlled. Easy enough to connect to the frame instead of the battery.

Turning Blue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a battery tender on my 22 when it will be sitting for a week or more. I also used it the past two winters from around November 15 to around March or April. LOL, I know I may get roasted for this, but I drive a Jeep Cherokee in the winter, and my wife's SUV is all wheel drive. No salt exposure on my Raptor makes me happy...lol.

Anyway, there is a spot on the negative cable that is appropriate for connecting a battery tender. I'll post a pic tomorrow...if I remember...lol.

3Dog

Gold member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of battery management is measuring the state of charge. Then they can prevent over charging, under charging, and over discharging. Computer controlled. Easy enough to connect to the frame instead of the battery.

^ This. Connect positive directly to positive terminal, and negative wires to ground. Let the CTEK do the battery monitoring.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use a battery tender on my connected at the battery because it does sit a lot.

I had my factory battery go bad after a year so since then, I've been using a tender.

I'd like to know if I can use a tender for the 2 batteries under the passenger side rear set. I don't think the tender has enough reach to charge them from the main battery but I don't know if they disconnect when the truck isnt running.

OP
OP
IceStationZ

IceStationZ

Reaction score
Thank you all. I will find a spot other than the negative battery terminal to connect the ground. I just don't like doing things without understanding why I'm doing it.

OP
OP
IceStationZ

IceStationZ

Reaction score
I use a battery tender on my 22 when it will be sitting for a week or more. I also used it the past two winters from around November 15 to around March or April. LOL, I know I may get roasted for this, but I drive a Jeep Cherokee in the winter, and my wife's SUV is all wheel drive. No salt exposure on my Raptor makes me happy...lol.

Anyway, there is a spot on the negative cable that is appropriate for connecting a battery tender. I'll post a pic tomorrow...if I remember...lol.
Yes, please, share a pic of where you suggest making the negative connection. thank you.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any bare steel or aluminum is fine. There may be a point Ford says you can use, but it doesn't matter. As long as it's not on the negative battery terminal.

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
use the cigarette lighter in my 2019 without problem.
have not try 24........