GEN 2 Disconnecting my battery is the best thing I’ve done to this truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CigarPundit

CigarPundit

I like wood
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I have a tune currently on my truck. Would it be okay to leave the tune on the truck and perform this reset or would you suggest uninstalling the tune back to factory, do the reset and reload the tune and perform idle relearn? Or am I just making this way to complicated? Haha

As long as you are not having any issues with the tune and you are not throwing codes, there should be no reason to reload it. Just do it with the tune on it.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I have a tune currently on my truck. Would it be okay to leave the tune on the truck and perform this reset or would you suggest uninstalling the tune back to factory, do the reset and reload the tune and perform idle relearn? Or am I just making this way to complicated? Haha
Yeah you’re overthinking it. The reset only resets the learned parameters and has nothing to do with the tune.

My question is what about the other presets? Seat memory, phone link, radio/sync etc? Do those go away or no?

OP
OP
CigarPundit

CigarPundit

I like wood
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah you’re overthinking it. The reset only resets the learned parameters and has nothing to do with the tune.

My question is what about the other presets? Seat memory, phone link, radio/sync etc? Do those go away or no?

They didn't for me. Everything was still there.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I tried this once, even did the jumper wire thing. Did nothing for my shifting. Glad it worked for you.

Forscan does have the ability to reset the transmission learning deal. Couple taps on the tablet, done. I guess it's something that will need to be done every 6 months or year, who knows.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a stupidly easy and quick procedure that anyone can do, and I would encourage basically everyone to do it from time to time. In fact, my advice would be that it is the very first thing you should do when you get your brand new (or used, for that matter) truck home.

So...hold up cowboy...LOL If your truck is running perfectly fine why tempt fate. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. If you are having issues then this is a reasonable thing to try but if your not having issues why on earth would you erase perfectly good settings to start all over?

OP
OP
CigarPundit

CigarPundit

I like wood
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So...hold up cowboy...LOL If your truck is running perfectly fine why tempt fate. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. If you are having issues then this is a reasonable thing to try but if your not having issues why on earth would you erase perfectly good settings to start all over?

There is no possible harm in this. Unless you think changing your battery poses some risk to your truck (which it doesn't). Worst case scenario, nothing changes. The truck relearns your driving style and all is well. My sense is that the tranny is susceptible of learning some bad habits, unfortunately. In my case, it now drives better than the day I picked it up. Maybe that's due to the short hops and way it was driven by the dealer while it was on the lot. Maybe it's something else. I don't know. But I do know that the tranny was a bit clunky before and is now like butter. If you are satisfied with the way your tranny is behaving, then don't do it, cowboy.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no possible harm in this. Unless you think changing your battery poses some risk to your truck (which it doesn't). Worst case scenario, nothing changes. The truck relearns your driving style and all is well. My sense is that the tranny is susceptible of learning some bad habits, unfortunately. In my case, it now drives better than the day I picked it up. Maybe that's due to the short hops and way it was driven by the dealer while it was on the lot. Maybe it's something else. I don't know. But I do know that the tranny was a bit clunky before and is now like butter. If you are satisfied with the way your tranny is behaving, then don't do it, cowboy.

Wasn't wuestioning the benefit of doing it...was questioning your advice to do it as part of regular maintenance. If it aint broke why risk a relearn?

OP
OP
CigarPundit

CigarPundit

I like wood
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't wuestioning the benefit of doing it...was questioning your advice to do it as part of regular maintenance. If it aint broke why risk a relearn?

Fair enough. I guess I was giddy. I suppose if the tranny remains buttery and all is well, I may not bother. Then again, I might. I just don't see any risk here. It's computer software, and my experience (albeit anecdotal) is that a reboot is helpful. Seems to be true of most computer systems I have encountered.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I guess I was giddy. I suppose if the tranny remains buttery and all is well, I may not bother. Then again, I might. I just don't see any risk here. It's computer software, and my experience (albeit anecdotal) is that a reboot is helpful. Seems to be true of most computer systems I have encountered.

The difference here is that when you "reboot" you are starting all over from scratch and telling it to forget your configurations. A computer is reset to it's previous state and actually uses it's last known configuration. Your Metaphor is more like reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows then going through and resetting all the custom settings and hoping you get it right.