GEN 2 Disconnecting my battery is the best thing I’ve done to this truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

500mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to do a hard reset to clear a Sync 3 freezing problem. I disconnected the pos terminal for 1 hr and that did the trick (cleared the memory). In theory, you shouldn't need to disconnect the neg terminal.

OP
OP
CigarPundit

CigarPundit

I like wood
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to do a hard reset to clear a Sync 3 freezing problem. I disconnected the pos terminal for 1 hr and that did the trick (cleared the memory). In theory, you shouldn't need to disconnect the neg terminal.

As long as you break the circuit, it should work. But it's best to remove the ground first and replace it last. You don't really need to remove the positive, but I do, and then I touch the positive and negative wires together to ensure that all the capacitors are drained.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
As long as you break the circuit, it should work. But it's best to remove the ground first and replace it last. You don't really need to remove the positive, but I do, and then I touch the positive and negative wires together to ensure that all the capacitors are drained.

Absolutely, I believe that's the best way for the reasons you stated and that Ford guru on YouTube stated the same method to ensure a solid reset.

galan.kelley

Reaction score
Will this work to reset the Live Valve on the 19’s?

I disconnected my battery for an hour last night, but didn’t think about touching the Pos & Neg together to make sure it was drained. Honestly, never heard of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaptoRyn

Reaction score
So, I have a tune currently on my truck. Would it be okay to leave the tune on the truck and perform this reset or would you suggest uninstalling the tune back to factory, do the reset and reload the tune and perform idle relearn? Or am I just making this way to complicated? Haha

OP
OP
CigarPundit

CigarPundit

I like wood
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know, but if you left it unhooked for an hour, I think it would be fully drained. I left mine disconnected for 15 minutes and that did it even without touching the terminals.