Air Conditioning - not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford has acknowledged and fixed it.

TSB 22-2089​

Thx, i'm going to my dealer with the TB. I've been living with this since delivery last June. Wasted time with two dealers at various points. I was at Raptor Assault last Nov and was also told Ford was aware and waiting for TB, Hopefully this get's job done. I'll report back after i get fix.

BlueWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, that TB is no longer valid, My dealer said there is no replacement TB for this fix. Here's his screenshot.123_1.jpeg

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, that TB is no longer valid, My dealer said there is no replacement TB for this fix. Here's his screenshot.View attachment 419322
Ford changed it to an SSM from the TSB: SSM 50937. Unfortunately it sounds like Ford is sick of paying dealers to remove dashes to replace the whole evaporator core for one faulty sensor, and it sounds like the replacement parts aren't a whole lot better. I'm guessing they'll try to push out 4 ineffective fixes or software patches to limit cost and have a new design in place for the next generation in 2026.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The icing is due to the A/C getting too cold at highway speeds on really humid days. There is nothing "wrong" with it other than poor calibration/control of the sysytem. I've had it happen on GMs and Fords. Let it sit for a few hours and there will be a huge wet spot under the car/truck once it finally melts out.

I'd be really suprised if anyone has ever had this happen in slow city traffic or with the truck parked/idling. In that situation, you are heat soaking the firewall and raising the temp of the airbox that is bolted to it. All of the A/C lines underhood are way hotter too compared to a long highway trip. The system won't ice up due to the heat added to the system.

The engineers have to walk the tightrope of making the evaporator coil run cold enough to cool the truck when it's stopped on a 120 degree day- but not so cold that it freezes up on a super humid day when you are ramming 85+ MPH air over the condensor and the system is working at it's peak efficency. Oh, and do it cheap too.

As was said above, running the A/C on re-circ will stop it from happening since you aren't condensing so much water in the box, but who wants to run recirc for hours on end?

Ford needs to control their A/C better IMO. A variable speed compressor would be a nice start. After driving a vehicle with that setup- it sure is nice not to feel/hear the compressor kick on and off constantly.

I think Ford also needs to put a 2nd temp probe on the actual condensor core in the airbox instead of just the one mounted in the plastic of the airbox 6" away from the core. Not sure why they think that one temp probe is good enough to tell the compressor to turn off before it gets to icing the core- but it obviously isn't.
im not a car Hvac tech ,but I am an Hvac tech ,evaporator temp usually has nothing to do with keeping a car cold relatively speaking, if they undersized the system and r running it colder that's not the answer, ,its the size of the evaporator ,and compressor that =the tonnage =more capacity .any home ac system runs between 40 and 50 degrees not 32 or below .but coil temp can be messed with with diff fan speeds. an undercharged low airflow system combined with a dirty filter will cause freeze ups

BlueWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford changed it to an SSM from the TSB: SSM 50937. Unfortunately it sounds like Ford is sick of paying dealers to remove dashes to replace the whole evaporator core for one faulty sensor, and it sounds like the replacement parts aren't a whole lot better. I'm guessing they'll try to push out 4 ineffective fixes or software patches to limit cost and have a new design in place for the next generation in 2026.
i was going to trade mine in for 2024 37, i was searching for info on 2026, only found stuff on mustang raptor rumours. Any link or info you got about new gen 26, greatly appreciated. Not sure if i can hold out that long.

BlueWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not a car Hvac tech ,but I am an Hvac tech ,evaporator temp usually has nothing to do with keeping a car cold relatively speaking, if they undersized the system and r running it colder that's not the answer, ,its the size of the evaporator ,and compressor that =the tonnage =more capacity .any home ac system runs between 40 and 50 degrees not 32 or below .but coil temp can be messed with with diff fan speeds. an undercharged low airflow system combined with a dirty filter will cause freeze ups
My dealer asked me to take pictures next time this occurs. And here's icing. I've only been driving vehicle for about 30 minutes. Ambient temp is 83 F.

Attachments

• IMG_4120.JPEG
    IMG_4120.JPEG
    197.5 KB · Views: 55

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer asked me to take pictures next time this occurs. And here's icing. I've only been driving vehicle for about 30 minutes. Ambient temp is 83 F.
Icing is caused by low Freon , or lack of airflow , or a combination of both . A really dirty cabin air filter can cause it to

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add me to the list. Same thing happened driving home on Saturday. 82F outside, humid, driving about an hour on the highway. Noticed the air getting warmer and slower. Even at full blast, the air felt and sounded like it was being restricted. Attempted to turn AUTO on and the mode literally did nothing. Finally shut the AC and recirc off, and slowly over the next couple of minutes, the fan speed started picking up and the "blocked or diverted" sound disappeared. Within 2-3 minutes my fan speed was normal and when I turned the AC back on, it was like normal.

To see that type of recovery within minutes doesn't make sense to me. If the line was frozen, as detailed in the post above, it would have taken some time to thaw out before working again. This feels like the system is trying to block recirculation flow actively. The same type of weird thing I noticed when I was driving one humid morning and the truck randomly turned on the AC on itself (only to find that the truck monitors humidity within the cabin and will run the ac if the humidity gets too high?)

I only have 3300 miles on the truck.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, they removed the TSB because replacing the evaporator housing wasn’t an effective repair in most cases. The system is efficient enough that the evaporator can reach freezing temperatures even during normal operation, and under certain conditions the EVAP temp sensor is not reactive or sensitive enough to prevent freezing from occurring. Replacing hardware is not going to change that, the issue is within the operating strategy.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
No, they removed the TSB because replacing the evaporator housing wasn’t an effective repair in most cases. The system is efficient enough that the evaporator can reach freezing temperatures even during normal operation, and under certain conditions the EVAP temp sensor is not reactive or sensitive enough to prevent freezing from occurring. Replacing hardware is not going to change that, the issue is within the operating strategy.
So net/net no fix?