2023 Gen3 37PP-steering wheel thumping/tapping feeling.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you changed the power steering pump? Maybe the pressure control has an issue. If you were just hitting the set point, it would pulse the pressure.

OP
OP
JDMCTR00

JDMCTR00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you changed the power steering pump? Maybe the pressure control has an issue. If you were just hitting the set point, it would pulse the pressure.
These trucks don't have a PS pump. I have done all the testing and it's 100% the lower shaft. I have posted all my testing in this thread.

OP
OP
JDMCTR00

JDMCTR00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, it’s electromechanical. That’s more likely your issue. Varying voltage or something
I understand what you are saying but I disagree due to the fact that I have done all the testing and I have video proof of this issue. You can clearly see what's going on in my videos and testing of the shaft. Additionally, Ford checked the steering rack and that was fine. This is a heat soak related issue into the shaft (always at the same time into my drive). A voltage related issue wouldn't cause the shaft to act the way it is. If you watch my videos and read through the posts you will see what i'm talking about.

Last edited:

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying but I disagree due to the fact that I have done all the testing and I have video proof of this issue. You can clearly see what's going on in my videos and testing of the shaft. Additionally, Ford checked the steering rack and that was fine. This is a heat soak related issue into the shaft (always at the same time into my drive). A voltage related issue wouldn't cause the shaft to act the way it is. If you watch my videos and read through the posts you will see what i'm talking about.
I rewatched all, if the lower is not moving, as it looked in the video then the question is ,what’s moving the upper shaft or better said, what’s allowing it to move? What about the bearing or bushing support at the fire wall? I think you had one showing the steering wheel moving. I believe the upper portion of the shaft is supposed the be fixed horizontally to the fire wall.
I was trying to time the moment, looks very much like a pattern. 1sec down and about 3 seconds up. I still think the rack has a servo motor limit switch or torque calibration issue. Probably not adjustable in this, but voltage signals could be monitored.

OP
OP
JDMCTR00

JDMCTR00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rewatched all, if the lower is not moving, as it looked in the video then the question is ,what’s moving the upper shaft or better said, what’s allowing it to move? What about the bearing or bushing support at the fire wall? I think you had one showing the steering wheel moving. I believe the upper portion of the shaft is supposed the be fixed horizontally to the fire wall.
I was trying to time the moment, looks very much like a pattern. 1sec down and about 3 seconds up. I still think the rack has a servo motor limit switch or torque calibration issue. Probably not adjustable in this, but voltage signals could be monitored.
The lower shaft pulls out and pushes in during body/frame movement. The firewall bearing has been replaced already. The shaft coming out of the firewall is a solid part other than the "rag/rubber joint" under the dash. The lower shaft is moving if you look at the yellow rubber boot area. You can also hear the shaft thumping/binding in the videos. I took the shaft out and pulled it in and out while it was cold and it was smooth. I heated it up as it would while on the truck and it started to get real tight and it was binding.

Also keep in mind that all this thumping i'm talking about happens without any steering input/movement. There is a reason why Ford added the black boot/shield around the lower shaft for the 2024 model.

Post 28 & 29 clearly show the issue. Turn up your volume you can also hear what i'm talking about. Post 40 also shows when the shaft is cold and when it's hot.

Last edited: