2022 Ford F-150 Raptor R: "durability problems when turned up beyond 650 HP"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s not a stupid question when u consider your point is moot when most of the buyers mod their trucks anyway so your reply about a factory engineered truck goes out the window.

As far as your investment comment, sorry I don’t look at my vehicles I drive and abuse as investments.
Most of the Raptor buyer's mod their trucks? I seriously doubt that. If you buy it new under warranty with little intention of taking it off road, very few people are going to do mods that mess with the factory engineering of the truck. Lights, bumpers, and other more cosmetic type stuff don't really count in this regarding. And even when people do mod the truck, they aren't going to undo everything.

Factory engineering is never moot.

Chainsaw

Ghost of a Raptor Owner
Reaction score
point is….if the current design gen2s platform/running gear can easily handle 550-600bhp (apparently from what I take from this forum- I have had @ least tunes on both my Raptors w/ no issues & I drive em hard) I just find it hard to believe Ford couldn’t address any “durability” issues pretty easily. The axles/differentials should be strong enough. The tranny has been in platforms making that kinda power already.

Maybe driveshaft/torque converter/transfer case would need beefing up?

I imagine Ford has a different standard of what constitutes a "durability issue" when they are considering things from a warranty perspective.

You are probably correct that the vast majority of tuned/upgraded Gen 1/2 had no issues, but that may not work for Ford's engineering and warranty models.

Chainsaw

Ghost of a Raptor Owner
Reaction score
Nothing is wrong with that it just doesn’t make much sense if you fall into the category I stated in my original post. If your truck is a daily and the most off roading it does is your gravel driveway why does having the most capable off road truck matter?

if I am buying a car to commute from home to work and my office is 3mi away I wouldn’t focus on getting a car that had over a 30mi mpg rating

If I am buying a GT3 to track I’m not gonna factor in how good it would go on a trip to Costco

Again, why can't I maximize what I drive in all respects?

By your logic, I should buy the absolute minimum capability needed for my requirements.

That ain't how I live brah. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed.

Brian Hudock

Reaction score
What about the 7.3 Godzilla with a turbo or supercharger??
Nobody talks about this set up.
This engine is smaller in dimensions than a 5.0 and also I believe than the 5.2.
Plenty of room for plumbing under the hood with the 7.3.
It is in fact going to have a SC 7.3. It has made over 1000 ft/lbs in testing and is being de tuned for durability.
It is smaller, lighter and a more robust platform for truck use.

dvm

Reaction score
It is in fact going to have a SC 7.3. It has made over 1000 ft/lbs in testing and is being de tuned for durability.
If this is true my wallet will be completely open to write whatever amount they charge for it.

Chainsaw

Ghost of a Raptor Owner
Reaction score

Where do you see that it is lighter? It has iron versus aluminum in the other two.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Other than bragging rights (650hp vs 702hp), if the Raptor R is still substantially lighter, it may be the better truck on and off road. I’m just having fun watching the potential HP War’s continue.
These days are numbered, the "amp" "watts" wars are in your future, I can see it now "we have the most Watts of any offroad truck produced", "our batteries hold power longer" whoever that might be.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the Raptor buyer's mod their trucks? I seriously doubt that. If you buy it new under warranty with little intention of taking it off road, very few people are going to do mods that mess with the factory engineering of the truck. Lights, bumpers, and other more cosmetic type stuff don't really count in this regarding. And even when people do mod the truck, they aren't going to undo everything.

Factory engineering is never moot.
Most ppl get a tune before anything, Others do light suspension mods both of which cancel out factory engineering