2022 Ford F-150 Raptor R: "durability problems when turned up beyond 650 HP"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it’s using the GT500 power plant, why is there durability issues when it supposedly goes beyond 650HP when it makes 760HP in the GT500? I still think it’s NOT the GT500 power plant but a Raptor specific engine. Wasn’t it mentioned before it was “dropping cylinders” on test mules? If you already have that engine in production it shouldn’t change reliability.

My guess; twin turbo V8. Possibly a 5.0 or smaller V8 “ecoboost”

ummm….aren’t there guys making 650bhp (or the equivalent) w/ gen 2 raptors? Tune, downpipes, intake, bigger turbos?

it doesn’t make sense there would be “durability issues” on most of the drivetrain/running gear since plenty of gen2 raptors tuned up have held
Up fine & if they’re using the gt500 power plant it already makes 750hp - I don’t get it

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last year I asked why Ford wouldn’t put 37’s on the truck stock and it was met with “THAT TAKES TOO MUCH ENGINEERING AAARRRRHHH” Now here we are. For all we know, we could see 4 figure HP numbers now, twin turbo, a final *** you to the TRX. 1000-HP truck? Unheard of.

I agree on it absolutely destroying the TRX when it rolls out.
I mean basically a gen2 destroys a TRX off-road already & a tuned one runs nearly neck & neck w/ it on the street ……so yeah the Raptor R is going to just annihilate it in every measure (including looks)

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As eric mentioned, it's not the powerplant but all the other supporting parts that get the power to the ground. The wheels and tires on a raptor are considerably heavier than those found on mustang. This introduced more torque to anything and everything between the wheel and motor (axles, half shafts, joints, transmission, transfer case, bearings/hubs) and note this is only for accelerating. Raptors are meant to be used offroad, more power means it's easier to carry speed. More speed means more suspension wear although we are speaking of a durability standpoint so the latter isnt the main issue.

but the gen2 Raptor is already damn close & MANY owners (including myself) roll around all day every day w/ +50-100whp over stock w/o one iota of an issue, so why would an extra 100hp on top of that be such a big deal?

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a stupid question. A factory engineered truck is always going to be a way better vehicle and investment overall than any tuner stuff.

The V8 architecture is simply a result of the desired power level.
It’s not a stupid question when u consider your point is moot when most of the buyers mod their trucks anyway so your reply about a factory engineered truck goes out the window.

As far as your investment comment, sorry I don’t look at my vehicles I drive and abuse as investments.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but the gen2 Raptor is already damn close & MANY owners (including myself) roll around all day every day w/ +50-100whp over stock w/o one iota of an issue, so why would an extra 100hp on top of that be such a big deal?
You are confusing what most ppl ( maybe you as well maybe not) do with those +100whp trucks do on a daily which is mall crawl . The standards for which Ford test the Raptor is obviously significantly more.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because I want the best possible on- and off-road capability together in a single vehicle, along with the utility of a truck.

What's wrong with that?
Nothing is wrong with that it just doesn’t make much sense if you fall into the category I stated in my original post. If your truck is a daily and the most off roading it does is your gravel driveway why does having the most capable off road truck matter?

if I am buying a car to commute from home to work and my office is 3mi away I wouldn’t focus on getting a car that had over a 30mi mpg rating

If I am buying a GT3 to track I’m not gonna factor in how good it would go on a trip to Costco

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ummm….aren’t there guys making 650bhp (or the equivalent) w/ gen 2 raptors? Tune, downpipes, intake, bigger turbos?

it doesn’t make sense there would be “durability issues” on most of the drivetrain/running gear since plenty of gen2 raptors tuned up have held
Up fine & if they’re using the gt500 power plant it already makes 750hp - I don’t get it

The S/C V8 will make more HP and torque stock than any Gen II on the road. And it's coming with 37s stock. Not sure what you don't get about that.

Again, M/T is anti-Ford as well, so if a tire went flat, it's a major durability issue if it's a Ford. They've called the 5.0L Windsor a 4.9L for decades now, yea, we know it's 4.94L dipshits. You are a big bowtie fan- I'm sure you were aware of that too?

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The S/C V8 will make more HP and torque stock than any Gen II on the road. And it's coming with 37s stock. Not sure what you don't get about that.

Again, M/T is anti-Ford as well, so if a tire went flat, it's a major durability issue if it's a Ford. They've called the 5.0L Windsor a 4.9L for decades now, yea, we know it's 4.94L dipshits. You are a big bowtie fan- I'm sure you were aware of that too?

point is….if the current design gen2s platform/running gear can easily handle 550-600bhp (apparently from what I take from this forum- I have had @ least tunes on both my Raptors w/ no issues & I drive em hard) I just find it hard to believe Ford couldn’t address any “durability” issues pretty easily. The axles/differentials should be strong enough. The tranny has been in platforms making that kinda power already.

Maybe driveshaft/torque converter/transfer case would need beefing up?