2018 New motor recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Good question. The easy answer is to run about 1/2qt more oil. The harder answer is an aftermarket oil pan. I just try to keep the oil just over full. You can look into the https://www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/ web site or ask Adam of @ZFG Racing for more advice.
If you only do a serious launch brake-boosted from full stop once in a while it really shouldn’t be a big problem. The worst case is letting the oil be a bit low and launching it hard like a day at the drag strip, or just being nuts on the street

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tagged for what’s soon to be a new motor for me… Need new cam phasers (4th time), but at 112K miles it doesn’t make sense to just do the front end. One of those “since I’m in there” type situations.

Will probably do the actual R&R myself, but not really capable (or interested) in building the new engine myself.

Will also upgrade the turbos and all ancillary systems while I’m at it. Only real debate for my situation is whether I should simply order a long block, or take my current engine to a builder. Need to start doing a cost analysis/comparison…

Mountune has built Gen2 Raptor short and long blocks ranging from $7K to $16K depending on how far I want to take this…I’m not looking for a lot of top end, so the basic non-sleeved built 3.5L short block will probably be my pick.

I like the stuff I’m seeing in the videos @full-race geoff is putting out there on his build, and will reach out to Headgames for a quote on replicating the Gen2.5 heads on Geoff’s truck. Will also reach out to his POC (former co-worker) up in Austin to get an estimate on a rebuild.

Anyone here already been down this path? If so, who did you go with for parts, labor, etc?

I’ve built race cars, bikes, etc. for most of my life, but a bit out of practice the past 10 years… Any big things to watch out for on these Gen2 Raptors?

Last edited:

sobiloff

Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm in a similar boat with my '17 (only 70K miles). I just spent $6K with FordTechMakuloco to redo the phasers and upgrade to an all-metal oil pan, but now with the phaser noise gone there's the distinct sound of a spun bearing. I'm broke as eff (anyone want to hire an agile software project manager with 20+ years experience?) so I'm looking for the least expensive way to get a new engine. A long or short block seems to be the answer, but I don't know who to trust to supply one.