2014 Gen I vs. 2017 Gen II Suspension Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwm5094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will throw this into the mix on my Gen1.

From a dig, I used to wheel hop like crazy.... Pretty f*%&ing annoying. Anyways, all on the same day, I installed:

37's on Methods
v4 SVC tune
Pedal Commander

I went for a test drive when I was done installing everything and no more wheel hop, I just light up the 37s like a sports car, no hop. I have no idea if one of those eliminated the wheel hop or the combination of them did but I have tried and tried to get the truck to hop, it won't. Needless to say, I'm pretty damn happy.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be that the staggered shocks are only a problem with lighter leaf packs that are more easily twisted. So a better set of springs in itself might eliminate the crabbing. It's worth a try at least, before paying for new shock mounts.

Icon told me October - what's the ETA on the Deavers?

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So can we stop debating about which is better off road now? Thanks to the OP for being objective and honest. Coming out like this is akin to supporting Trump openly in October and November, this man is sacrificing his personal safety to do his patriotic duty, show some respect for this GenWar veteran!

Safe to say that each truck has its pros and cons.

Or are some JenHaters still under the impression that new equates to better in all aspects?

Support your local vet,

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So can we stop debating about which is better off road now? Thanks to the OP for being objective and honest. Coming out like this is akin to supporting Trump openly in October and November, this man is sacrificing his personal safety to do his patriotic duty, show some respect for this GenWar veteran!

Or are some JenHaters still under the impression that new equates to better in all aspects?

Support your local vet,

The guys with Jennifers will not read this thread as it doesn't follow their narrative. To them EVERYTHING is better. Even their crappy a/c seats are super awesome compared to the Gen1 seats that actually work. Hell, they even come with 35 inch tall tires, from the factory!

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Support your local vet,

local vet as in closest must have about 15 to chose from. I normally go with one I can trust.

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have spent some time in a few Gen 1s vs my stock Gen 2 the past weeks off road and on road. The Gen 2 suspension is far superior on and off road to the Gen 1. We even thought it was comparable to a Gen 1 that had a full Icon 3.0 setup... in whoops, small rollers...on road. It was just as good. Where the Icons shined over the stock Gen 2 suspension is having the clickers. By being able to adjust the high speed dampening it made a big difference on big jumps.

OP
OP
B

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have spent some time in a few Gen 1s vs my stock Gen 2 the past weeks off road and on road. The Gen 2 suspension is far superior on and off road to the Gen 1. We even thought it was comparable to a Gen 1 that had a full Icon 3.0 setup... in whoops, small rollers...on road. It was just as good. Where the Icons shined over the stock Gen 2 suspension is having the clickers. By being able to adjust the high speed dampening it made a big difference on big jumps.

We drove up to our place in Northern NH this past Friday...we were doing the speed limit (50) and through a frost heaved section the Gen II bounced so bad that if someone were coming the other way I would have hit his driver's side front with my driver's side rear...no exaggeration...My wife and son were just shaking their heads...So out of nothing more than "Let's just see what's what curiosity...when we got up there...we got the Gen I out...mind you with 82K on it...and the NOT rebuilt shocks...and drove right back through the same section...I never needed 2 hands on the wheel...

So not sure what to tell you...maybe off road going straight over whoops or whatever the Gen II is better, but in the real world on roads with bumps, ruts, frost heaves, etc...the Gen II is downright scary compared to the Gen I, and as some far more educated guys on here have pointed out it's probably from the Aluminum/less weight, and Leaf Springs and Shock Placement (The one weekend I have driven north full of pallets in my Gen II it handled twice as good as unloaded...to me lending much credence to what others have speculated).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superiorplumbing