$2.99 Sub Modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Imma try doing this mod today.......I wonder if there's something else we can use that might be better. I have an old temper-Pedic mattress I'm thinking of cutting up to try and find a better alternative. I might be able to make money off this mattress, finally! Haha

12' Race Red Raptor SCAB (Loaded to the max!)
SCABS are faster!!
08' SeaDoo RXP-X Clockin' 80+ GPS

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
all was going well (and quick), until tightening the 8mm bolt on the topside of the sub that holds the speaker in place. Broke the head of the bolt off.

Any suggestions for getting the old piece of the bolt out?

My first reaction was: how the hell could you do that? Then I did the mod myself. The 8mm bolt which holds the sub into the speaker box is coated with blue threadlocker/loctight. The bolt itself is not very strong. That being said, I almost broke it off while trying to remove it. The manufactors website says that you can add heat (450 degs.). Not an option given that the sub box is plastic. Just be careful both when removing the bolt and again when tightening it. just my two cents.:crazy:

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Also, ask the wife. Turns out she already had poly fill, for what I don't know. It was just the right amount. Now I don't have to sacrifice my daughters stuffed animals. Baahahahaha!

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont break the damn bolt !

My first reaction was: how the hell could you do that? Then I did the mod myself. The 8mm bolt which holds the sub into the speaker box is coated with blue threadlocker/loctight. The bolt itself is not very strong. That being said, I almost broke it off while trying to remove it. The manufactors website says that you can add heat (450 degs.). Not an option given that the sub box is plastic. Just be careful both when removing the bolt and again when tightening it. just my two cents.:crazy:

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Also, ask the wife. Turns out she already had poly fill, for what I don't know. It was just the right amount. Now I don't have to sacrifice my daughters stuffed animals. Baahahahaha!

What happened to me was all the polyfill that I put in the sub box wraped around the bolt when I went to tighten it and almost broke the bolt as well :Grenade:, I removed the polyfill material from the threads (male and female )with my air nozzle , applied some thread lubricant to the bolt and it went right in . Done .....

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did the mod on my 2011 crew cab. I was playing some dubstep (only thing I had around on a USB I could test) before and then the same song after. I didnt notice a difference.

I adjusted the bass up +2 and maxed it, I already had the fade (trick I learned with Chevys from my dad). I switched to Sirius Octane and Metallica Fuel was playing (towards the end of the song) and it was really washed out and crappy sounding, same with a lot of other channels. But Dubstep sounds about the same, maybe a tad deeper and not so snappy on the kick drumbs like it use to. Maybe im just not use to listening to the quality of Sirius and Metallica :)

I used batting from a throw pillow that my dogs opened a while back. It was in handful size clumps and I put it generously in all cracks of the woofer. I left room for the cone and bolted everything nice and snug. For the Philips I torqued it with my Dewalt to 8 screw on the setting.

Anways, strong bass comes across the same, maybe a bit deeper. I cranked up the bass to max on dubstep and the woofer kept up pretty well.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

and yes I plugged it in :rockit:

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

foam and poly in a sub [Archive] - Club Polk
anyone done overstuffing yet?

ill have to crank it up. didnt hear it get distorted like it use to