$2.99 Sub Modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I know i could tell a difference on mine after I did it. It's not huge, but it was there for sure.

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If your an audio head, I think it does a great big difference for $2.99. Enough for my lady to ask if I got a new sub afterwards and that's just not rite! Polyfill allows u to blast the bass settings without hearing that nasty sub bottoming out. Lol, still not enough for what we paid but I upgrade em' either way.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

ssebranek

Reaction score
The change I noticed was that the sub sounded less plasticy (sp?) and a bit more solid/ less hollow. The sony sub is more of a woofer than true sub. When I replace mine, there was a gap in sound in the upper bass due to my new amp's crossover being set at 80Hz. Having the Sony crossover and the amp crossover both active can cause a cascading crossover problem. I tried a higher setting, but got the best upper bass responce when I set it to full range. Just a word of caution for when you do replace the sub. My amp highest low pass setting was 220hz and still lacked bass until I set it to full range and relied on the Sony's crossover.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The change I noticed was that the sub sounded less plasticy (sp?) and a bit more solid/ less hollow. The sony sub is more of a woofer than true sub. When I replace mine, there was a gap in sound in the upper bass due to my new amp's crossover being set at 80Hz. Having the Sony crossover and the amp crossover both active can cause a cascading crossover problem. I tried a higher setting, but got the best upper bass responce when I set it to full range. Just a word of caution for when you do replace the sub. My amp highest low pass setting was 220hz and still lacked bass until I set it to full range and relied on the Sony's crossover.
well its your truck so i cant tell you how to set it up, but you should never have to go above 120h for a woofer. try replacing your speakers and adding an amp. when you tune the system drop the crossover on the speaker amp to 110 hz and turn the sub amp to 110hz that way there is no gap. but first things first, that sony head unit is horrible, so until you use a cleansweep or replace it you are not going to have good sound.

ssebranek

Reaction score
I agree the Sony is not the best, but if you set the sub as you suggest, using the Sony's and amp crossovers, you can get some strange results from the cascading of the crossovers. The cleansweep may solve this if it does'nt crossover for the sub. Simply setting the crossovers close may or maynot solve the loss in bass. It really depends on the system and not all behave the same with the cascaded crossovers. Just a warning if you replace the sub and notice a gap in the upper bass. Ears and meters can tell. I had a huge drop out from 250hz to about 500hz. I would guess this is where the Sony subwoofer starts to kick in. Just listen to the system without the sub and you can tell is crosses over rather high. When I do replace the head unit and Sony amp, I plan on crossing over around 80-120hz. New speakers also needed, but two kids really suck the money from my upgrades! Baby steps. Poly fill, new tweets, new sub....

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not new tweeters, go with component speakers in the front first. that way you can replace both. and aftermarket speakers will provide you the lower speaker frequencies you are supposedly missing. if you set the sub crossover setting too high then you have voice coming out of the subwoofer and that will sound like crap. aftermarket subwoofers were not designed to play voice. they are designed to play frequencies below 120hz. the factory sub will pay probably from 160 hz and down. but 250hz to 500hz should come from your speakers not the subwoofer

ssebranek

Reaction score
If I went to components, I would def. need new amp, processor and/or head unit. The Sony can handle the tweets fine. I think components need more power than the Sony can offer. But for now they do fine for now. Funny how much people spend on systems to listen to mp3s.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I went to components, I would def. need new amp, processor and/or head unit. The Sony can handle the tweets fine. I think components need more power than the Sony can offer. But for now they do fine for now. Funny how much people spend on systems to listen to mp3s.

Not to mention the sound from serius radio is shit! CD quality my ass!