WSI, RPG and ICON present: The SnoBall 500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok I had same problem that a lot of you are havin, can't get those damn bed bolts out that are buried in the frame. The bolts closest to the cab came out no prob with a bit of PB Blaster. I tried to heat the stubborn ones but I just melted my linex around the bolts and they were still stuck. I had to figure out a way to get more tie downs in the bed.

It took a bit of frontier ingenuity but here is what i did!

I cut a thick piece of plywood to fit the bed. It's like 50" between the bolts closeest to the cab, so I cut the width out of the 8' and notch the plywood to fit between the wheel wells. I marked and drilled the bed bolt locations. I had to remove some of the thickness of the plywood to get the bolts started, so i drilled the hole with a 2" hole saw and chiseled out about 3/8 deep, and I shimmed under the bolts to make up for the ridges in the bed. The bed bolts cranked right in and held the top of the plywood down. When I took the rubber bumpers off the bed extender, it locks in and holds the bottom edge of the plywood down. Then I installed some u bolts to tie down the spare and, cans, just make sure to set the ubolts to fall on the grooves of the bed.

And look at me! I think I just made the first plywood bed rack! Who needs a welder! We will see how she holds up to the stress of off roadin! I hope this helps anybody with the same prob. Sorry for ****** cell pics
PM me any questions.
Carpe SnoBall!!

To heat the bolts, I heated them from underneath the bed. This did not melt the Linex (I tried that first and did the same thing). Bolts came right out after that.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:badger_1: Cant believe were this close already!

Another rack slacker here, sadly wont have time for linex'ing before the trip, couple more bars, strap retainers, and mount for the toolbox to get done. Struggling to find a block/cyl of poly or plastic for the wheel chock, need to get that asap! Any ideas on local sources would be great

2-9B63-4F6A-80E9-527A026704D7-881-0000017AD42D2B11.jpg

5-A3DC-4B5F-9C58-000B3FB6A086-881-000000CF2C2E988D.jpg

My ducati HIDs arrived today as well, XMAS in january!

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
all fluids changed including oil, front diff , transfer case, rear axle too. Still need to angle grind a few MM off the right fender, full lock rub when parking in my underground but nothing insane, i could barely hear it, but just incase will do.
Oh and changed tranny fluid too.
ADD Upper control arms will have to wait because of missing parts. other than that i got everything ready in the bed of my truck.

Found a nail sticking out of my tire last nite, brand new tire but took out the screw and spit on the tire good thing it didnt go far. So no air leaks.

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:badger_1: Cant believe were this close already!

Another rack slacker here, sadly wont have time for linex'ing before the trip, couple more bars, strap retainers, and mount for the toolbox to get done. Struggling to find a block/cyl of poly or plastic for the wheel chock, need to get that asap! Any ideas on local sources would be great

2-9B63-4F6A-80E9-527A026704D7-881-0000017AD42D2B11.jpg

5-A3DC-4B5F-9C58-000B3FB6A086-881-000000CF2C2E988D.jpg

Not enough plywood in your design!

:Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh:

It's like the three little pigs..we will see who's rack holds up when the big bad Wolf comes a knockin!

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
all fluids changed including oil, front diff , transfer case, rear axle too. Still need to angle grind a few MM off the right fender, full lock rub when parking in my underground but nothing insane, i could barely hear it, but just incase will do.
Oh and changed tranny fluid too.
ADD Upper control arms will have to wait because of missing parts. other than that i got everything ready in the bed of my truck.

Found a nail sticking out of my tire last nite, brand new tire but took out the screw and spit on the tire good thing it didnt go far. So no air leaks.

That wasn't a nail, that was your tire growing spikes!

Yukon Joe
Delta Force
Snoball500 Support Raptor

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not enough plywood in your design!

:Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh:

It's like the three little pigs..we will see who's rack holds up when the big bad Wolf comes a knockin!

lol One of my most used lines is “Made of wood, real sturdy!” My buddies always give me shit for my substitution of wood in car projects :D

Im sure a simple strap design will be more than adequate, this design was concocted at a bar and waaaaaay overthought :Stupid Me: