WSI, RPG and ICON present: The SnoBall 500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We will have two tablets with us also. I wasn't sure how reliable the tablet navigation apps would be. Wife will have her new I-pad with her. Maybe I will see if there is an Apple app and an Android one. Still thinking about a gps though. We want to start taking our ATVs with us maybe once or twice a year and a portable gps might help us not lose the truck with all the stuff in it. I don't have any current experience with any of these units and just can't pick one. The Lowrance units look nice for in the truck. Kinda big to toss in a bag on the atv. The small highly portable units may not work well enough? That really is a question. I don't have a real life reference on those.

Forgot a while back to send out a thanks to Treypal for the handheld radio. So, thanks Trey for the radio. Still wondering if just the handheld is going to work. My tendency to over prep is getting to me again. I think I have myself convinced to just go with the handheld.

Last edited:

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
We will have two tablets with us also. I wasn't sure how reliable the tablet navigation apps would be. Wife will have her new I-pad with her. Maybe I will see if there is an Apple app and an Android one. Still thinking about a gps though. We want to start taking our ATVs with us maybe once or twice a year and a portable gps might help us not lose the truck with all the stuff in it. I don't have any current experience with any of these units and just can't pick one. The Lowrance units look nice for in the truck. Kinda big to toss in a bag on the atv. The small highly portable units may not work well enough? That really is a question. I don't have a real life reference on those.

Forgot a while back to send out a thanks to Treypal for the handheld radio. So, thanks Trey for the radio. Still wondering if just the handheld is going to work. My tendency to over prep is getting to me again. I think I have myself convinced to just go with the handheld.

Just on murs the handhelds should be good since they are low watt frequencies. Only issue would be battery life.

I plan on bringing about 6 handhelds up if anyone is looking for one at the event.

Looking forward to freezing my butt off.

Ms. MI Raptor

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
also mentioned was an android offroad map..... any recommendations on that? ill have my tablet with me for sure.

Won't the navigation system from ford in the truck be sufficient enough?

Well guys, keep in mind if you're relying on a cell phone reception odds are we won't have reception at times - the times we're in the middle of nowhere are you're going to want to use GPS. Verizon and AT&T are the carriers available up here and neither have seamless service. Lots of dead zones and no reception at Copper Harbor when I was up there in October.

As far as the truck nav, I have a 2012 and sync doesn't register the main highway of M35 at times so I do doubt it'll show out route. But, keep in mind we're following our fearless leaders so ya won't need to find your way all alone.