WSI, RPG and ICON present: The SnoBall 500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAPTURR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like i am going to have to hire someone to keep reading this thread. You can't miss a day.
I am so behind.
A quick recap
We have a gas shortage......not
Snoball 500 is sending up its own satellite and renting out satellite phones
WSI is going to be the pit crew for everyone......bring the welder
We have a truck load of hand warmers
My big concern is the line for coffee.......i may have to bring my own coffee maker

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, come GPS models allow the loading of third party maps on them. I have an old Garmin StreetPilot 2610 and I've loaded trail, topo and snowmobile maps on there. It's been great in every state I've used it like this, (WI, IL, IN, FL) and I expect the same. While we'll be following a group down a previously run trail, it's nice to know where we are and what's around, in case we need a detour or a shit break!

GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
I got a garmin gpsmap 62s its great. I didnt really want a in car mounted one cause i go backpacking a lot. I bought like 300 dollars worth of extra maps not from garmin but from a canadian seller, they have all the trails , atv trails ect ect done. Its great fr 300 i got ontario and quebec. Most of these trails i compared to the oem garmin maps, google maps rct and they never showed any of the roads. Its pretty cool

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a garmin gpsmap 62s its great. I didnt really want a in car mounted one cause i go backpacking a lot. I bought like 300 dollars worth of extra maps not from garmin but from a canadian seller, they have all the trails , atv trails ect ect done. Its great fr 300 i got ontario and quebec. Most of these trails i compared to the oem garmin maps, google maps rct and they never showed any of the roads. Its pretty cool

This is what I won in the first FRF raffle... I've used it a few times...
gps002_zps6c39dc36.jpg

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have an extra garmin handheld that I'll bring, if somebody that doesn't have a Nav wants to use it. I'll make sure the route is pre-loaded onto it.

However, with the trucks likely running in snow, it will be pretty hard to get lost... Considering you can SEE the tracks in the snow.

The radio is where people may be frustrated, that haven't used them before. Those with 50-watt in dash units will have a range of about 10-20 miles depending on surrounding terrain. Handhelds will have about 0.5-2 mile range. That being said, with this many trucks those with handhelds will only be broadcasting to 5-6 trucks at a time, if we're running a minute apart. In dash units can usually reach a dozen or more trucks in front and behind them.

Relaying important messages becomes critical... Even with the 50-watt units, we have to relay at times, when we're staggered 1-minute apart with 20 trucks.

All stuff for people to keep in mind! :)

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an extra garmin handheld that I'll bring, if somebody that doesn't have a Nav wants to use it. I'll make sure the route is pre-loaded onto it.

However, with the trucks likely running in snow, it will be pretty hard to get lost... Considering you can SEE the tracks in the snow.

The radio is where people may be frustrated, that haven't used them before. Those with 50-watt in dash units will have a range of about 10-20 miles depending on surrounding terrain. Handhelds will have about 0.5-2 mile range. That being said, with this many trucks those with handhelds will only be broadcasting to 5-6 trucks at a time, if we're running a minute apart. In dash units can usually reach a dozen or more trucks in front and behind them.

Relaying important messages becomes critical... Even with the 50-watt units, we have to relay at times, when we're staggered 1-minute apart with 20 trucks.

All stuff for people to keep in mind! :)

Well, the rule is and for as long as I have been running anywhere with lots of people be it snowmobile, hiking, atv or vehicle is when there is a road change and there is more than one way to go you must stop and wait for the person behind you to catch up so they can see what way to go. That way you will never lose someone...

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who will be running what tires for the snowball?

My bfg's are like new still, but my passenger insists they'll suck on this adventure.

If I'm buying new tires I will most likely go to 18's and a new set of rims. Lmk what you guys think and suggest.

Ones I've looked at:
- wrangler MT/R with Kevlar
- Micky Thompson mtz
- nitto trail grapplers

I would like to use them year round and I tow a car just about every other weekend in the summer so they need to be civil for all that.

From personal experience I would avoid the MTR if you plan on wheeling in snow a lot. I am not happy with that tire in the snow, however, I am a huge fan of the on the rocks, mud, and dirt.

So far next tire will be the duratrac, but I am not sure if I want to pull the trigger at $300 a pop, or wait til next fall

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From personal experience I would avoid the MTR if you plan on wheeling in snow a lot. I am not happy with that tire in the snow, however, I am a huge fan of the on the rocks, mud, and dirt.

So far next tire will be the duratrac, but I am not sure if I want to pull the trigger at $300 a pop, or wait til next fall

$300?

Tirerack had them at $240

-Greg

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, the rule is and for as long as I have been running anywhere with lots of people be it snowmobile, hiking, atv or vehicle is when there is a road change and there is more than one way to go you must stop and wait for the person behind you to catch up so they can see what way to go. That way you will never lose someone...

Agreed... However this is only as good as your most absent-minded driver! Haha... People tend to get excited and forget!

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed... However this is only as good as your most absent-minded driver! Haha... People tend to get excited and forget!

Ha ha ya we have had a few that made the "Oh I forgot claim"... They get chastised so bad one thing for sure is they never forgot again!!! LOL