Whats with dealers only having 802a raptors and not more base models?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt6951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they have them because people buy them. I would not want a base model, no way.

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys, I bought a 2018 Raptor Crew 800A base package. Only a few minimal options - the beadlock rims, remote start, spray-in liner, etc.

I came from a fully loaded 2017 F-350 Lariat Ultimate diesel 4x4 dually with pretty much every option.

Gone is the Sync 3, Navi, panoramic moonroof, push button start, proximity entry, leather, heated cooled front, heated rear seats, heated power tilt / telescope steering wheel, memory everything, wood trim, radar cruise, blind spot, etc, etc.

But having had it, and now *not* having it I can make a pretty good comparison. So far, I don't mind it. Even a base Raptor is fairly well equipped. You still get fully LED exterior lighting, a flow-through center console, a backup cam, reverse sensing system, heated rear glass, auto-dim mirror, Sync, USB / bluetooth, upfitter switches, etc. And the truck will ride / drive the same as a loaded one...except it will be a hair quicker because it lighter, and have a hair more payload.

The seats are cloth, but it is a special cloth with the Raptor logo embroidered and the seats are bolstered just as well. The driver's seat is powered.

Full Sync 3 with navigation can be retrofitted for $2500. The 8" instrument cluster can be retrofitted for a few hundred bucks. Full leather, genuine Ford Raptor, can be retrofitted for $400 as new take-offs. I have not heard the B&O stereo, but the Sony was not good. The basic 7-speaker stereo I have actually has less distortion than the 10-speaker Sony I had in the Super Duty. It just has less bass at lower volumes.

It will always be cheaper to order all the goodies when you buy the truck new. Although in the Raptor's case with dealer mark-ups you might be able to get a better deal and with the money saved do some retrofits.

As for the Scab, it is the best off-road because it is shorter and has a better breakover angle. It should also be the quickest because it is lighter.

Dealers do indeed make more on higher trim levels. The reason is because the hold back is a percentage of MSRP. The higher it is, the better the percentage. The difference between invoice and MSRP is likely to be greater as well.

Dealer managers order the trucks. Even a base Raptor is an expensive truck, and the assumption is that since this is a special edition vehicle most people are willing to spend more to get the fancy version.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ordered my 800A because I knew it would be nearly impossible to find one without going out of state. The only option I wanted from the higher trim level was painted mirror caps and door/tailgate handles. That was one of my first mods.

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with "dealers make more money". The markup is 8% across the board on all the options. That means the dealer only pockets an additional $160 on a $2k Tech package. $160 is definitely not worth the risk of sitting on a $70k truck if it isn't what buyers want.

The real reason every truck is loaded to the gills is because of the ADMs. The guy who thinks nothing of dropping an extra $20k on a truck just so he can be the first on his block most definitely doesn't want to skimp on options to save a few bucks. If a guy is going to pay $20k over, he also wants to splurge on all the bells and whistles.

Really? You think the only difference between a base model raptor and a fully equipped one is a 2k dollar tech package? A base model going for 49,795. (According to the ford website) and fully loaded in excess of 74,000 ? With most dealer orders coming in around 70-72. Keeping it simple let's say 20k difference at your stated 8% = $1600 to loose on each of the few allocations they have. It most certainly is about the money bud, because pretty much everything in this world is.
And I myself paid 0 adm. And many others aren't paying any either so these Honest dealers must not have gotten that memo.... they just sell trucks and make a percentage... the way it should be.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
7 of your last 10 posts were you trolling..............So you really need to look in the mirror before crying troll.

Trolling??? Lol.

I love my Raptor. 7000 miles and near perfect.

If you mean by calling out idiots that I'm trolling then you may be right. I'll have to add you to my idiot list.

OP
OP
N

Nick610s

Reaction score
Yeah I only wanted the limited slip front diff for offroading purposes. I get the mark up etc. just curious, I like the review from a fulyl loaded truck guy to a "base" raptor. makes me feel better about it. Im not rich but I make decent money, I have a loaded tundra crew max for the fam. this is going to be my DD. and offroad toy.

Glamisfan

Reaction score
Trolling??? Lol.

I love my Raptor. 7000 miles and near perfect.

If you mean by calling out idiots that I'm trolling then you may be right. I'll have to add you to my idiot list.

And I'll do the same cause you are definitely a ******!

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Really? You think the only difference between a base model raptor and a fully equipped one is a 2k dollar tech package? A base model going for 49,795. (According to the ford website) and fully loaded in excess of 74,000 ? With most dealer orders coming in around 70-72. Keeping it simple let's say 20k difference at your stated 8% = $1600 to loose on each of the few allocations they have. It most certainly is about the money bud, because pretty much everything in this world is.
And I myself paid 0 adm. And many others aren't paying any either so these Honest dealers must not have gotten that memo.... they just sell trucks and make a percentage... the way it should be.

Dealers who order vehicles that people don't want don't stay in business very long.

I suspect at least half of all 2017s were special ordered by customers and more than 80% opted for 802a trim. People who spend crazy stupid money on a pickup truck want all the options.

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealers who order vehicles that people don't want don't stay in business very long.

I suspect at least half of all 2017s were special ordered by customers and more than 80% opted for 802a trim. People who spend crazy stupid money on a pickup truck want all the options.

The only reason any dealer would have a raptor on a lot that someone doesn't want IS because of ADM.....