vin's pulled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blukrom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks GjM. Good info. Question since you know how this works and all I see is the rail cars flying by on the track. How do they load those up, can they leave multiple cars hooked together and have ramps betwen to drive through? I would think the cars are pretty tight inside, how do they keep the car doors from being beat to shit, are the walls padded? how many cars get scratched or crunched during load and unload?

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks GjM. Good info. Question since you know how this works and all I see is the rail cars flying by on the track. How do they load those up, can they leave multiple cars hooked together and have ramps betwen to drive through? I would think the cars are pretty tight inside, how do they keep the car doors from being beat to shit, are the walls padded? how many cars get scratched or crunched during load and unload?

Yes, they spot 5 railcars to each unloading pad. The prep crew opens railcar doors and installs bridge plates between railcars. They also position a buckramp at the end of the string of railcars for unloading. The vehicles are inventoried, and tickets with parking locations are match with vehicles. The unloading crew unchains, or unchocks vehicles double checking bridge plates and buckramp. They double check card and vin number then drive the vehicle to assigned parking spot.

Yes, it is cramped, but duallies and Raptors fit with about 6" clearance on each side.

The sides of the railcars have foam padding and the new vehicles have plastic door edge protectors on them. (well most of the time)

Cars used to get a lot of scratches because they used to wear coveralls with metal zippers and they would rub across the sides of the cars. People not wearing gloves would get oil and grease on the interior.

At first there were a lot of damaged and totaled vehicles. We were working off incentive from Ford to unload x amount of vehicles per shift. If we hit that number we could go home with 8 hours of pay. Needless to say, the damage claims went up and that incentive was taken away.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Question, so since dealers can pick it up themselves what do they pick them up in? Flatbeds? Thanks in advance.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Question, so since dealers can pick it up themselves what do they pick them up in? Flatbeds? Thanks in advance.

Depends I have seen dealers like Randy that use a flat bed, and other local dealers that throw a d tag on the car and drive it to dealership. I have also seen a dealer bring a customer to the lot and put a 30 day tag on the truck and handed him the keys (no dealer prep).

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know Randy does this often, my advise to everyone else. Have your dealer pick up your Raptor at the railhead. It is a lot faster, and the less times your Raptor is handled the less exposure to damage!

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does the dealership pay for the semi or flatbed to haul the vehicle? Also, is there any way to contact the railhead so that we can know when our truck arrives? Thanks in advance again...

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

95% of Dealers, will not send anybody to the trainyard to pick up a vehicle.
Either to far away, or they don't want to pay the extra money, when in a couple of more days, they will get the vehicle anyway.

I go to the trainyard in KC MO all the time, because it's closer to me than the dealership in Oklahoma is to me, from St Louis, MO.

randy

I use My Own Trailer........

179-2011-raptor-steve.jpg
185-2011-silver-crew-cab-raptor.jpg

175-2011-raptor-steve-heading-denver.jpg

49-sany1100.jpg

50-2011-f250-sd-chef-jason-1.jpg

752-rob-james-x1r-tux-black-013.jpg

334-mike-west-2011-raptor-w004-005.jpg

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does the dealership pay for the semi or flatbed to haul the vehicle? Also, is there any way to contact the railhead so that we can know when our truck arrives? Thanks in advance again...

Yes, in a way the dealer/ford pays allied, jack cooper trucking company to haul vehicles to the dealerships. As far as flatbed service, it really depends on the dealer/salesman. Some rare (RANDY) salesman use their own trailer and charge minimum amount for delivery.
There is no central contact to the railhead or railroad. The best (unhelpful sometimes) is to call SVT/dealer to get transit information.

SaintsFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do we find out where the railhead is in our region? I guess the obvious answer is to ask the dealer. But is there any other way to find out?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alotajs